1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched/Cracked tube - should I be worried?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Zaichik, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    I was adjusting some settings on my Panaonic TV this morning and I happened to notice that, at the edge of the screen (in the area that is painted black) there are some scratches or cracks (can't tell which) in the top left hand corner. They run horizontally from the left edge and then turn downwards. They stop just at the edge of the painted out area.

They are definitely not on the front layer of glass which makes up the flat screen, but on the glass of the tube. Should I be concerned about this (beyond the fact that it is annoying that my new TV has cosmetic damage)?

EDIT: I've just looked again and I can see black wiggly lines (scratches) on the viewable area of the tube when the set is switched off.

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you not return it to the seller?
    you mention its your new tv, so if you can return it, best bet.

3. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    I'm thinking about it - trouble is it's the third set I've had and the first one with no faults (apart from slightly dodgy geometry). Cosmetic damage on new stuff is something that really cheeses me off and I find hard to ignore - but the missus will really kill me if I change the set again and get another faulty one.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    If it really is a crack then the tube could implode at any time!

Although it's designed not to spray you with glass, it WILL make an ENORMOUS bang.

(Think how loud an exploding lightbulb is and then think what a TV tube will do. :devil: )

Best to return it to the dealer, if only to save dire consequences from your other half. :laugh:

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Send it back! I know where you are coming from-i sent a perfectly working Sony HQ100 back as Sony couldn't confirm what was happening was a fault or not.The replacement had a black dot on the tube(inside) and the colour purity was awful,it also did what the first one did so that one wasn't faulty! I sent it back and the replacement is perfect :) This is our SIXTH TV in 6 months-THREE Sony 36FS76U's failed before this one! UI know you feel like a fussy git sending them back but it's not YOUR problem the thing isn't right ;)

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    DRGL,

Didn't realise you knew my brother, Fussy! :laugh:

Zaichik,

The only way to ensure manufacturers improve their quality control is to return unacceptable products.

This is doubly vital where safety is concerned.

You know it makes sense! :thumbsup:

7. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    I must say I'm feeling empowered to take on the retailer again after all your encouragement. However, if these are just scratches and not cracks then I do wonder if it's worth the effort - they can only be seen if you look really closely during daylight hours (under our living room lights you can't see them at all). But then I know they're there.... :rolleyes:

I'm going to stop in the store on my way home from work and see if other sets with the same tube are also scratched.

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You know it will bug you for ever ;) The screen on my 2nd HQ100 had a black dot about 1mm big,you could hardly see it but you knew it was there,when something is there you spend more time looking at it than enjoying the TV ;) take it back and get what you want-fussy git :)

9. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Well, I've reported the problem and it's really put the cat among the pigeons as the retailer can't decide which department will deal with it. The service department don't want to know because it's not a fault that an engineer would deal with, and the delivery department don't want to deal with it because it is not damage that could have been caused by the delivery guys (wish I hadn't mentioned that!). :suicide:

We'll just have to see what happens!

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Sounds like a classic case of buck-passing.

Stick with it, Zaichik!

11. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Well, they've passed it back to the service department and an engineer is coming out on Friday. Quite why they waste a qualified engineer's time on this is beyond me. They may as well send someone from the store's customer service desk, or a delivery guy! :hiya:

Oh, wait a minute, I was mixing up shop engineers with someone who can actually fix TVs! :suicide:

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    none of that is really your problem,tell them to cut the BS excuses and replace the damn thing! Take no **** and don't back down ;)

13. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, like they really know their stuff those guys....NOT!!!!

If there's an imperfection in the tube and you're not happy then get it replaced and don't take no for an answer - they cannot refuse you a replacement tube if you're not satisfied with it, especially if it's within the guarantee period. I doubt it'll fail anytime soon - CRT's are only vulnerable in that area if the frit seal (the paste that bonds the bowl of the CRT to the front glass) has sustained damage, or if the damage to the glass is severe - it is very thick on the corners.

14. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Well the engineer has just been and for a long time it looked like he was going to report that he couldn't see the scratches. I got a bit annoyed with him to be honest, and he got annoyed back. Finally, we had a breakthrough and he saw what I was on about.

However, it seems his manager has raised a concern about the fact that I've had 3 TVs - I reckon I'll still have a battle getting this one exchanged. :rolleyes:

15. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm on my SIXTH TV! If the QC at the factory was better i wouldn't be,not my problem and not yours either, take no BS and get what you want ;) I don;t exactkly like taking thing sback but i sure as hell was putting up with faults that shouldn't be there.....(see threads elsewhere for details!!!)

16. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    To my great surprise, it looks as if they are going to exchange the set again. :clap:

I was getting all geared up to put up a fight: the retailer in question has a clearance site on which they sell used and cosmetically damaged stock off cheap. My argument would have been along the lines of: "You sell damaged stock off cheap - why do you think it's OK for me to pay full price for it? If I'd have been happy to accept something with cosmetic damage, I'd have bought it from the clearance site or looked for a second hand set in the paper. I've bought something new and, in addition to all the features working correctly, I expect it to look new."

Let's just hope the next one has no faults or I'll be relieved of my manhood by the wife! :D