Scratched Alloys

mason

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new bmw and already I have scratched two of the alloys!!! :eek:

Has anyone ever had their alloys 'touched up'!! I have heard that you can get them repaired but wondered how good or how matched they can do it- so to speak!!

Thanks

Pretty well if you get a good company to do it... it's usually about £40 per rim and they come out looking like new.

Wicked Wheels has pretty much nationwide coverage I think and have a good reputation.

They are fully mobile and will come to you. All work is carried out in the back of their vans.

they can look as good as new! be warned through it doesnt stop you scratching them again! there is nothing worse than that horrible noise of alloy against kerb!

mark

Thanks for the response folks- I will make a couple of calls to the above. :smashin:

You are right tho- there is nothing worse than the sound of your alloys scraping along a kerb- I wanted to cry after doing it!!! :suicide:

mason said:
You are right tho- there is nothing worse than the sound of your alloys scraping along a kerb- I wanted to cry after doing it!!! :suicide:

me too, did it last night :suicide: DOH !!! Luckily the tyre was not badly scuffed as up to £150 each sort of hurts.

Layne RIP said:
Pretty well if you get a good company to do it... it's usually about £40 per rim and they come out looking like new.

You pay £40 per rim? :eek: :D

I've had two wheels repaired by Pristine Wheels, based in Woburn Sands near Milton Keynes. I'd recommend them unreservedly - they will collect the damaged wheel with the tyre still on, and return it, as new, colour matched, rebalanced, new valve etc in around 4 working days, including transit time to and from you. They can even weld new metal onto the wheel rim if you've gouged them really badly, and they completely repaint and relacquer the wheel, which I don't think the mobile vans can do. I did once call out a mobile van to repair a wheel on my previous car, and they did only charge about 40 quid, but they really didn't do a good job - basically just sanded down and resprayed half the wheel with not quite the right colour of silver paint, and I had to relacquer it myself, which I wouldn't recommend.

Pristine aren't cheap - I paid £80-90 per wheel (depends on size of wheel and severity of damage), including shipping and VAT, but you can't tell the repaired wheels from brand new ones, and it's a damn sight cheaper than having to buy new wheels at £300 a corner...

A few years ago I had my wheels refurbished for about £45 each by a local firm which I found was used by many garages, who subcontract the work out

I used a local bodyshop when my alfa went back at the end of its lease. Some of the wheels were badly scuffed. £25 each sorted them out as good as new.

Some wheel designs seem worse than others for scuffs. the Alfas were particularly bad as the wheel design was convex where the tyre met the rim and stood proud of the tyre, so even the slightest graze on a kerb caused massive damage.

15 year old thread bump due this scratched alloy of mine (18 reg Focus), and wondering about the possibility of a pretty good DIY/touchup job with some reasonably priced wonder product versus getting it done by someone (mobile?) and typical prices these days?

Untitled.png

All tips/advice much appreciated

Cheers
Krish

About £50-70 for a proper full refurb depending on location in the country.

If it's just the one, you might get used from Ebay/breakers for similar money.

Have a look on eBay first as I got two mint alloys for my MX5 with nearly new tyres for £70.00 collected.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom