1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Proof DVD-R/-RW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Jul 11, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I'm looking for some reliable DVD media to copy my camcorder tapes on to. Are TDK’s scratch-proof disks really any better than standard DVD-R/?

(I do realize that I should make multiple copies of anything that I really want to keep.)

I will also be using a few DVD-RW media to record kids programs on to. These will be watched and wiped quite often and probably get handled pretty badly. Are the TDK’s RWs worth any extra for this use as well?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The scratchproof discs are well worth the extra money - I use the DVD-R variety as my 'daily use' backup and the (2x) DVD-RW variety with my Sony GXD500. They are not indestructable though - the blurb comments they can survive being scratched by wire wool - don't know about that (never tried it) but dust can kill them. 100x better than normal DVD-RW though. Highly recommended.

3. GARYFORUMS

GARYFORUMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you got the exact names of these scratch-proof discs ?

i think tdk make some

like u said worth the investment really

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    "TDK Scratchproof" discs - available from places such as SVP among others. Generally they cost a few pence more per disc than 'normal' discs. They use a similar coating to that which will cover bare BluRay discs.

5. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    It really annoys me (to my cost) that DVDRs are no where near as strong as CDRs. I have many very cheap CDRs that are still going strong.

Of course you don't find this out many months later!

6. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Can you buy the DVD-RW or DVD-R (especially) in spindle or at least packs of 5-10?

I ask as I can only see them singularly on SVP and they're expensive (considering by design you'll be buying many DVD-Rs). I'd like to switch over to Scratchproof for copying everything as I'm fed up of DVD-Rs (in spindles) failing on me later on. I should be able to put it on DVDR and trust I will be able to read it later on, like I can CDR/RW.