• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Scratch on Kuro screen!

redbullman77

Established Member
Hi guys

I've got the pdp-4280xd. My little kiddies have managed to put one noticeable scratch (you can feel it with your finger) of maybe 4 inches down the anti reflective coating (even noticeable when switched on) and another down the bottom which hasn't dented the surface. From searching the net, people seem to talk about applying petroleum jelly to deep scratches and using a rubber for scratches which haven't penetrated the surface. Any advice for how this would work on a Kuro? Is this a bad idea?

I don't want to do something and make it worse!

Thanks for any advice.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
It can't be fixed as such without changing the panel, have you considered your home contents insurance :)

redbullman77

Established Member
It can't be fixed as such without changing the panel, have you considered your home contents insurance :)

Hi Paul

I have considered insurance, although according to my policy there is a £100 excess and I would have to pay for any required written quotes. I spoke to an official Pioneer repair centre; who told me they would charge £80 for this. So that's already £180. My Halifax home insurance policy states I'm covered up to £5000 for this, but I'm concerned about what sort of plasma they would offer in return (the repair price makes it a write off I'm told). Even today, surely only the latest panasonics are up there with my kuro. Would they give me one of these?

I was wondering whether some vaseline down the crack might be a suitable cover up job unless it gets worse? Others seem to have sucess with this, but I wondered whether the vaseline could get under the reflective coating and mess up other areas of the panel.

Thanks

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I have no experience of using Vaseline in this situation so don't feel I can advise, it might help but then again it might make it look worse.

You should not have to be getting written quotes to rectify the set, it's the insurance companies responsibility to sort this out for you, push them a bit harder & tell them you can't afford to have to pay for written quotes!

Based upon previous posts like this the Insurers usually offer something like a Panasonic G20 or perhaps up to a V20. I think a panel swap would cost around £1300 ish, so it's much cheaper to offer you a G20! however only you can decide if the the G20 would be acceptable to you I'm afraid.

redbullman77

Established Member
Thanks for your advice Paul.

If I delay my decision until after Christmas, do you have any idea whether time - in other words the tv becoming older will reduce the value of the replacement they offer?

Its bad timing as the Sky man is installing HD tomorrow for us!

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your advice Paul.

If I delay my decision until after Christmas, do you have any idea whether time - in other words the tv becoming older will reduce the value of the replacement they offer?

Its bad timing as the Sky man is installing HD tomorrow for us!

As you have logged the claim with them I don't think it will affect the outcome, however personally I would be pushing them to repair or replace ASAP, I can no reason to delay things.......Strike while the irons hot & all that, good luck :)

interbear

Prominent Member
Interesting thread this. My wee toddler decided to take a biro to our Panasonic 42 plasma and the result is a lovely circular spiral scratch bang in the middle of the screen. She's a creative wee darling :mad:

Now I know it's there I can't miss it. It is about 6 inches in diameter.

Was pondering the accidental damage insurance route also but concerned that they would consider the TV still usable / in working order, which of course it is, and deny any claim. As far as I was aware it wasn't possible to replace the screen alone, but I'll check into that also via Panasonic and see what they have to say.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Interesting thread this. My wee toddler decided to take a biro to our Panasonic 42 plasma and the result is a lovely circular spiral scratch bang in the middle of the screen. She's a creative wee darling :mad:

Now I know it's there I can't miss it. It is about 6 inches in diameter.

Was pondering the accidental damage insurance route also but concerned that they would consider the TV still usable / in working order, which of course it is, and deny any claim. As far as I was aware it wasn't possible to replace the screen alone, but I'll check into that also via Panasonic and see what they have to say.

You should be covered no problem, however it is often more expensive to fit a new panel than replacing the set, I suspect therefore that is what you will be offered. :)

Ndaa75

Established Member
Hi guys

I've got the pdp-4280xd. My little kiddies have managed to put one noticeable scratch (you can feel it with your finger) of maybe 4 inches down the anti reflective coating (even noticeable when switched on) and another down the bottom which hasn't dented the surface. From searching the net, people seem to talk about applying petroleum jelly to deep scratches and using a rubber for scratches which haven't penetrated the surface. Any advice for how this would work on a Kuro? Is this a bad idea?

I don't want to do something and make it worse!

Thanks for any advice.

Sad I know but ive become a bit of an expert at removing scratches (apart from Piano Black Bezels!).

Anyways, if the insurance route doesnt work for you then try this product.

Glass Polishing Kit - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

I used it on my iphone when i had a largish scratch, it worked perfectly. Of course this will remove some of the anti reflective coat around the scratch on the glass of your beloved Kuro but it will remove the scratch - guaranteed. Little tip if you decide to use - dont use the felt bobbin.

1. 1 x table spoon of the rouge mixed with 2.5 table spoons of warm water.

2. Mix it up! (ideally you want a consistency of cream)

3. Use a cotton cloth (i used an old tshirt). Dab the end in the rouge mixture and apply with pressure to the scratch in small circles and long strokes.

4. Watch the scratch disappear!

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Whilst I'm fairly certain your method would work & remove the scratch I'm 99.9% sure it will look worse as the AR coating comes off :eek:

Piano black bezels are usually easily made to look like new by using Brasso & a soft duster, rub backwards & forwards not in circles & always test on a bit that's out of the way first (never yet had a problem though).:)

Ndaa75

Established Member
Whilst I'm fairly certain your method would work & remove the scratch I'm 99.9% sure it will look worse as the AR coating comes off :eek:

It cant look any worse especially taking into consideration that he's noticing the scratch when the TV is on! My method would remove the scratch completely. The only thing is he may notice during the day and when the TV is off, is the fact that some of the AR coating is missing. Overall, the finish would be a million times better than with the scratch. :)

Piano black bezels are usually easily made to look like new by using Brasso & a soft duster, rub backwards & forwards not in circles & always test on a bit that's out of the way first (never yet had a problem though).:)

Alas, does not work! Tried it! Tried all types of methods except one which is effective a can of spray acrylic lacquer.
Im sure it would work however Samsung replaced my entire TV as they didnt have any replacement bezels. :D

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
It cant look any worse especially taking into consideration that he's noticing the scratch when the TV is on! My method would remove the scratch completely. The only thing is he may notice during the day and when the TV is off, is the fact that some of the AR coating is missing. Overall, the finish would be a million times better than with the scratch. :)

Alas, does not work! Tried it! Tried all types of methods except one which is effective a can of spray acrylic lacquer.
Im sure it would work however Samsung replaced my entire TV as they didnt have any replacement bezels. :D

Worked perfectly for me on my Samsung LCD I had :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom