1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrapbook slighty cut by BBFC

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by captaineyecatch, Apr 10, 2003.

1. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Scrapbook has had a slight trimming :rotfl: by the BBFC :zonked:
    Its been cut by 17 mins and 50 seconds :thumbsdow
    See the cryptkeeper site WARNING Slighty gory pictures in the link.

2. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hardly anything left to watch. Horrible film, though, still can't decide what I actually thought of it.

3. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I thought 195 seconds was bad for the great Ichi The Killer! (That's the Dutch uncut 2 disc).

Scrapbook looks rather disgusting and a piece of junk but I don't think it should be cut unless they want to prove it's got something illegal in it (which they won't of course).

So, it's OK to send our soldiers to their deaths (taking as many Iraqis as they can with them) but they can't have the freedom to watch a film (did we give Iraqis their freedom yesterday?).

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Scrapbook's a horrendous film. A real nasty piece of work. I can't work out what kind of audience this is aimed at if the idea of a movie is to entertain - the motivation behind Scrapbook seems merely to encourage you to jump in the shower straight after watching it and never to watch it again.

Personally, although I'm against censorship, I find it very difficult to come up with anything to defend this film

5. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could Scrapbook be defended as a feminist film? I'm not going mad, but there was a lot of background noise (tv/radio etc) about the family and family life to which the events in the film are often juxtaposed. Is there a sense that this film is in some way, some sort of a statement on the reality (abusive relationships etc) against the sanitised 'norm'? I don't know, just clutching at straws.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to RJJ I got to see this film... in fact, I watched it a couple of times.

Obviously the BBFC were never going to allow it out uncut but I think it's disgraceful of the distributors to allow it to be released with 18 minutes worth of cuts.

Still, I guess the hype and expectancy has already been created in the marketplace and they need to make their money... although Tommy Biondo won't be getting a percentage I guess.

Hmm, defending this film isn't easy. Most people wouldn't even be able to listen to a rational defence of it, their minds would likely be that closed after watching it. Which is a shame as films of this nature are intended to open our minds and eyes to what can and does happen in real life, and presenting that to us in a non-sanitised, hard to watch manner.

The problems of ignored mental illness, society not taking care of the most vulnerable, the human spirit of survival... there's a bunch of themes in there.

And one of the best things about this film, and one which you can't say about most Hollywood films, is that (if you make it through to the end) you certainly won't forget it in a hurry.

7. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rambo John J: Personally, although I'm against censorship...

That's the same as saying "I'm not racist but..."

You can't be half pregnant.

As I said the film does look like a piece of sh** (I censor myself by not wishing to see it) but if that's what people want to 'enjoy' then so be it. If it features something criminal then let the censors or authorities take it to court.

I had email comms lately with a 'censor' at the BBFC and they AMAZE me because they genuinely think they're doing us a favour. It's OK for THEM to watch it but not us.

No defence of Scrapbook should be required -that's how censors prefer to work (long drawn out arguments you can't win because they'll do it with the next film and the film after that). They want people to defend EVERYTHING -whereas we should be looking at the wider picture of why we have to have these films censored at all.

I have no problem with certification (how else would stupid people know what to allow their children to view?) but making it a criminal act not to have your film censored is illegal in itself I'd say.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree. I am 100% against censorship of any kind, even where criminal acts are concerned - hell, if the act's been carried out it's a matter for the police, not the censor - but I think you can take that stance and also appreciate why others may agree with censorship.

Just in the same way you don't have to be racist to accept police figures that most street crimes, per capita, are commited by black males but many would accuse you of being so.

If you're not aware and understanding of why people want to censor, you're not considering the arguement against censorship fully. I am also wholly convinced that many film makers specifically make films to test their own, and others', views about censorship. "How far can we go before even the most commited anti-censorship supporter throws in the towel?"

Not wishing to see it is not censoring yourself. Wishing to see it but not allowing yourself to would be.

They wouldn't make very good employees if they didn't. You can't blame them for doing their job. You can blame the Government/society for continuing to provide those roles.

I agree with you entirely. The fact that the film was made is the only defence necessary. Creation is legitimisation.

Well said.

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow you're not kidding about the pix!! Not something I can look at at work. Never heard of the film before and Imdb doesn't have much info, what's it about and what's so nasty?!

10. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not wishing to see it is not censoring yourself. Wishing to see it but not allowing yourself to would be.

When I use 'censor' it can equally mean 'discern' (as the BBFC also say when they say it helps people realise what's on a video -as if they couldn't tell from the artwork).

I am 100% against censorship of any kind

Good.

but I think you can take that stance and also appreciate why others may agree with censorship.

No -never. You can't REALLY think that if you mean "I am 100% against censorship of any kind"

If you're not aware and understanding of why people want to censor

People wish to censor because they want to control people they think shouldn't be watching what they watch. It goes right back to books printed by the church. OK for them but when the cheap printing press came along we needed censors so unintelligent (the 'unwashed') people couldn't see images that they couldn't help but replicate.

They wouldn't make very good employees if they didn't.

Yes, just like all those employess that ordered the gas ovens for Hitler and (a bit more up to date) killed for Saddam.

You can't blame them for doing their job.

That's not what the judges at Nuremberg found in 1946.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To not understand the opposite view of your own arguement means that you do not fully understand your own arguement.

If you don't have any awareness or understanding of an opposing view you end up like coming across like the Iraqi 'Information' Minister.

To make an informed stance you need all the information you can possibly obtain about a given subject (which might also entail actually watching the films you're talking about). The way to know your own stance is as right as it can be is to be able to dismiss/disprove the opposing stance.

Therefore it's entirely possible to be 100% against something whilst also understanding why others are for it. In fact, I'd say an element of understanding is essential.

OK, when I, or anyone else in this country, is murdered by an employee of the BBFC for watching a banned film, we'll get back to your above points.

12. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I love the finer points of verbal reasoning and well thought out, informed and incisive reasoning.

The phrase "completely hat stand" comes to mind :rolleyes:

13. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you copy and paste that from a wishy washy user guide? I am fully aware of all points and take them on board -I enjoy consuming facts. My mind isn't closed to free speech -it's closed to censors. If you don't agree then you are having us on when you said "I am 100% against censorship of any kind". Maybe you're only 70% against it?

Maybe you need your door kicked in by HM Customs at 0600 due to them opening up one of your import DVD packets and thinking you may be watching a film you shouldn't.

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They've already beaten you then.

How can you fight them if you're pretending they don't exist? A head in sand approach is not what's needed here...

No chance, my snipers would get them before they got near my viewing room :smashin:

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I only said I couldn't defend the film.
    I never said I'd cut/censor it.
    In my half-pregnant state I shouldn't be watching things like that anyway.

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting reading guys.

Personally, I think someone should be able to distribute absolutely anything they want on film, provided creating it isn't a crime. If I don't like it, I'll steer clear of it. I don't think there needs to be any justification for filmmaking. Hell, if a guy wants to film a 6-hour epic of a guy sitting in a corner stabbing himself in the head with a spork, then I'm all for it. I just won't be waiting in line for the DVD. (unless it's got at least 2 audio commentaries :D )

17. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .........And DTS

I was giving this a bit of thought earlier, wondering why on earth they bothered submitting it in the first place, since the market for this film is never going to pay good money for something cut by 17 minutes. Then I thought, they were selling it from their website in its full uncut glory until they recieved a letter from the BBFC telling them to stop.

What better way to get revenge for this by forcing them to sit through it all and trying to decide what to cut. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall...

18. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but there's a potentially large(ish) secondary market that will be only too glad to buy the film in the cut format... just like the Ichi release.

And they'll probably tell their mates it's the uncut version, whilst leaving the case on prominent display on their rack.

I do find it funny when I see films of this kind with a little red '18' in the corner of the packaging.

19. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the little 18 thing as well.

Especially when its billed as "The Film They Did Not Want You To See" and the like.

20. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: Irony doesn't come better than that :laugh:

21. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't fight them really and I'm not pretending they're not there -they have the power of the courts, illegal law (including rum (the stuff sailors used to get paid with) laws from over 100 years ago), reams of lawyers, time and more money than I. I know they're there (I just had to pay £23 for my Ichi instead of the £16 UK version) and I have to accept it for the moment until the government catch up with human rights' laws.

Doesn't mean I have to respect or like them.