1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrap the Pro-V and go for a JS converter?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mivvi, Jan 29, 2003.

1. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently running a Sony Plasma 42" screen, using a Pro-V scan unit for the tuner. The picture is ok'ish, dark colours are poor though and the picture seems as if it has a light ghosting on fast moving shots. I am tempted to buy one of the 'Scart to VGA converters' from JS. I was then thinking of using the tuner in my video for receiving television. Can anyone give me any advice on whether this would be a move in the right direction?

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are planning to run your video in to the rgb to vga you come in to problems as i think(not sure) vcr dont put out rgb and i dont think the rgb to vga will take composite signal on scart

hope this helps

3. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    mivvi - I had the same problems as you with it and many more. I changed it for a Panasonic BNC input board to see a world of difference on RGB/Sync and S-Video inputs.

It is possibly OK for small screens but was a disaster for me on a 5 Series 42 inch Plasma.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    mivvi

Unless you have one of the rather rare VCR's that can output RGB via the SCART out then the JS Technology boxes are (as jmack points out) not really a solution for you in this instance.

I must admit to not being overly convinced by the various low cost Line Doubler/Tuner boxes being pushed by some as a great addition to a plasma display - personally I tend to stick with supplying our customers with the input cards the manufacturers provide for the various displays and if an improvement in video picture quality is required look further up the external processor ladder for a solution.

I think you may in fact have two problems to resolve:

1. Analogue TV tuner - could you not use one of the new Free To Air (FTA) boxes; the Nokia Media Master 221 seems to be the current best of breed and costs less than £150.00. (though keep in mind that you may well want to use one of Dr Johns RGB converters between the FTA and your Plasma displays VGA input).

2. Plasma video processor - some of the Sony displays have never had rave reviews for there video processing abilities and possibly once you settle on a tuner solution you may want to audition something like the Silicon Image iScan Pro video processor. At around £600 its not an inexpensive addition to your system but may show you how much better the display can look if the internal video processor is bypassed - though as ever the iScan Pro wont make up information that a tuner is not outputting.

Trust this helps.

Joe

5. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all: Thanks to everyone for their help!

Hi Joe,
    I am a bit confused as to why a 'Scart to VGA' converter won't do what it says on the tin. Am I missing something here?

I have been unable to find a tuner for the Sony plasma as it is really a monitor and was never designed for television viewing. This would have been the best solution though.

If I buy a 'Free to air' box, will I still need a VGA converter then?

I am a bit worried about buying another scan converter as I don't want to be throwing money away.

Sorry for all the questions but your all so helpfull.....

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Agree entirely with Joe on the point about low-end scalers. You get what you pay for in this game, and if you pay next to nothing that's what you'll get. For example, the CS1200T at nearly £200 is a big let down. I have excellent analogue reception where I live, but the output fom this is worse than from the tuner inside my Panasonic E30.

I bought a Hauppauge DEC200T for FTV, and the picture from this via a JS RGB to VGA converter into a Pio 433 is brilliant. I think the Nokia may be even better if you can give it a good signal.

Pre-empting Joe's answer, the point about scart to vga is that it must be RGB scart - s-video or composite signals won't work.

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it doing excactly what is says on the tin
    converting rgb to vga
    you must first put rgb in to it, which your video dont put out,only composite,
    if you get a fta like the nokia you will have digital tv and a rgb scart output to plug into the rgb to vga

hope that helps

just because it has a scart output dosnt mean its rgb(took me while to learn that)

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Your VCR is outputting composite video, the "scart to VGA" converter is for RGB video only -- e.g. from Sky, DVD, game console.

Yes, but "scart to VGA" converter will work as FreeView boxes have RGB output via their scart.

StooMonster

9. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for all your help, I now have some ideas as to which direction to take!