1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrap of news re price of SKY HD Box.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Canoehq, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Hmmm, a Sky HD box for £400.
    Bit surprised that this hasn't really been picked up, yet.
    There's been some speculation about this, but I seem to recall that £400 was most people's best guess. I can't imagine it would be too much of a barrier for the eary adoptors!

Canoehq - nice system!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Wasn't really worth much of a reply, a website with no affiliation with SKY after talkign to someone from a company that may have business links with SKY claim a price has been set. Then goes into even more vague assumptions about the subscription:)

Didn't the website claim a 400gig hard drive yesterday?
    I hope to god that a 160gig isn't right!

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    £400 is still quite dear, well for me anyway. I think I’ll be waiting for a while… :boring:

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yep a nice bit of change, still cheaper than my first DVD player though and while some of the recently announced HD receivers are cheaper I am not sure if they have integrated recording. If they haven't then at least the quoted £400 would be in line with actual market prices which has always been an issue with SKY hardware.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    That is a fair price, and if we don't all buy them straight away it will be ages before everyone else gets them free!

Will be an expensive Autumn with HD Sky box and hopefully an HD disc player.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, please feel free to dive in :)

I'll wait and get a V2 for £199, like I did with the original Sky+ :smashin:

8. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thats a seriously mis-informed piece .. theres no way that the SKY HD box will have 160gb.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think you'll probably find that 160Gb is the minimum this box will have.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Seriously though, I have £5k worth of screen, scaler and cables and £10k worth of processor, amp and speakers so what is another £400 in the grand scale of things?

My whole system is built round getting Hi-Def, so when it is out I am not going to wait 6 months to try and save £199, I could get run over before the price drop! :)

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have spent my whole life "paying through the nose" to get technology a few months before everyone else. Then my friends would buy the Mark II version which had all the bells and whistles at half the price, and I was left with the credit card bill to pay. I've "wised up" since then :)

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I haven't really being keeping track, but aren't they using H.264 for SkyHD ? If memory serves, H.264 is approx. 4x more efficient than MPEG2, whilst HD uses approx 4x the bandwidth of SD ... so the two cancel out, meaning that that 160Gb will allow you to record the same amount of programming on both the SD and HD service (if you see what I'm saying). Or maybe I'm talking out of my backside :)

Cheers, Carl.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I've seen figures from around a 30% saving upto 50% in real terms for a broadcast platform using H.264 and allowing for the increase in data you are correct you would still see some benefit in recording time using the 160gig drive.

I do however see a situation were HD is being stored for far longer than SD, after all there no practical offboard archieving for HD and the hard drive market has moved on with the 160gig drives looking a little dated now with 300gig+ retailing under £100 and well the bulk purchased gate price would be perhaps half of that.

14. damned

damned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    How about Sky deferring some of the cost of early adoption by including Multiroom at no extra cost?

15. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I read that link earlier this morning before there were any replies to this thread and I could have sworn it said a 400Gb hard drive. Did anyone else see that or were my eyes deceiving me?

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I don't think they are, I'll put money on it having been a 400gig hard drive mentioned in an earlier incarnation of the article :)

17. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Well guys, I kicked off this thread after I read that article yesterday and I can definitely assure you it did say 400GB when it was first written. They have obviously edited it, so perhaps 160GB is what it should have said from the start.

Also, like gizlaroc, having spent loads on my set up as well as being limited to an analogue input on my plasma, I'm going to have to cough up for one of the early boxes, whatever they cost, as I understand they will be the ones that have component out. I really have no choice I think.

I'm not overly keen to go down the later box HDMI output, HDCP stripping and conversion back to analogue route if I can help it, particularly with all of the ifs and buts about key revocation which may or may not occur in the future. Nope, a sensible analogue signal is good enough for me.

Cheers.

18. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep i flew over to that thread ASAP yesterday and it said 400!

H

19. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    If the box is £400 I can't see many taking it up. £400 is a rip off price but thats nothing unusual in the UK coupled with a increased sucscription costs I can see the main stream saying no thank you. I have seen hef def pictures and they are not the huge step up they say they are over a progressive scan tv like the toshiba picture frame 2 tv.

I was going to buy a hi def plasma next year but unless sky drops the price of this box and keeps subscription the same I will not bother. I pay them £44 per month and I think that is enough. The programmes I get just are recyled, they say you get repeats on the BBC and ITV sky holds the world record and you pay a hell of more for the repeats that are full of adverts. And they expect me to pay more for the repeats, they are having a laugh. The premier movies on the movie channel take so long to come out they are often 2 years old before they are shown. Its the same old recyled movies day in day out and every six months they put on all the old rubbish again day in day out, they show the same movie 3 times a day moving it from channel to channel.

I think sky will fall flat on their face with hi def and will need to do some serious offers to get people to take it up. Buy the time most people get hi def tv's BBC and ITV will be broadcasting hi def through a new freeview box.

I have been saying for ages sky's monopoly should be investigated and their pricing should be investigated, no compitition, no regulation on subscriptions or equipment to receive the programmes.

pot

20. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I consider £400 (if that is correct) to be a fair price for a HD receiver with integrated hard drive recording when compared to the retail prices mentioned elsewhere is these forums for a HD recevier only.

It's expensive but again cheaper then the first VHS and DVD machines, you have to get it into context with the current market.

I don't believe for one minute that SKY actually expect HD to fly off the shelves but thanks to the cost of the hardware and subscription they are not likely to lose money in the long run and when other broadcasters get on board well the SKY is the limit.

SKY HD just like every other servive they have provided will drop in price and content will increase, patience will be rewarded and for those who want HD now well they and myself will have to pay the price:)

21. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    potshot - great post.

The problem, is its not about what the technology is worth or costs to make, its about what people are willing to pay 'what the market will bear'. Unfortunately there are lots of people who dont find paying £400 a big issue and therefore Sky will say thank you very much to the huge profit margin. I'm sure many people would sign up if it was £1000 for the box with 1 years subsciption.

The only good thing to come out of this, is if people are prepared to pay the high cost for emerging technology it means we see continued R&D into new products/innovation and also lower costs of existing products.

22. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The retail price of an hi def Tivo is $1000 so how is £400 not fair?

23. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I think you have just backed up my point in the debate for me. I dont want to get into an argument, look at it this way.

$1000 in USA = High Spec PC including Pentiom 4 4.0GHz processor, 400Gb Hard Drive, Top of the range graphics card, Network Connectivity etc etc.

Even $500 = Mid Range PC with 200Gb Hard Drive + LCD Monitor + peripherals.

Now I dont have a tivo, but I assume its essentially a very Large Hard drive (400Gb ?) connected to a simple motherboard controller with some sort of modem for EPG. Max cost of components = $400.

Therefore HD Tivo = overpriced

Neither price is fair, its all down to market monopoly and what the market will bear.

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Sky is actually a fair price for pay tv, take US pay TV and have a look at what they pay...

If you look at HDNet, and you want to get it from satellite, you could go with Dish Network, now there tariff is

America's Top Entertainment Packages with Local Channels*

--------------------------------------------1TV-------2TVs-------3TVs------4TVs

America's "Everything" Pak--$86.99/mo $86.99/mo $91.99/mo $91.99/mo
    America's Top 180-------------$52.99/mo $52.99/mo $57.99/mo $57.99/mo
    America's Top 120-------------$42.99/mo $42.99/mo $47.99/mo $47.99/mo

You then add a $9.95 a month for HDNet, and another $4.95 for PVR functions.

So it is pretty much the same price if not a little more than Sky.

Two rounds of drinks can cost you the same as a months worth of TV, one meal out in a nice pub will cost you more, A decent seat at one football match will cost nearly that.

If you are honest, it is the fact you know the box will come down that annoys you, if it was an offer for £399 for the first 6 months and then it was going to rise to £599 I bet you would buy it?

The pilot episode of Lost cost in excess of $11,000,000 to make that one episode, Everyone is saying it is great TV, now while we expect TV at this level, we must also expect to pay for it, if you don't want to then you don't have to.
    I quite happily get £500 worth of pleasure each year from TV and I don't watch a lot of pay TV, but I do feel I get value and don't feel it is a rip off at all.

25. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Excellent points gizlaroc.

You are right in saying you need to pay for good value entertainment - and much of those funds go toward funding creativity.

The argument that I and potshot were conveying was that the hardware (which unlike creative talent is easy to put a value on) is largely overpriced. I think it would benefit consumers if we saw a little more competition.

Now I can afford a plasma and I do currently plan to get Sky HD, therefore it maybe silly of me to take this stance. However i'm just stating the fact it is a very healthy profit for the supplier, but hey I go to nice restaurants and pay 10 times what it would cost me to cook something similar at home.

26. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky have not mentioned increasing the subscription for HD. Thats just speculation by people on here.

In 1998 when Sky Digital came out, I paid £199 for the box on launch day. The subscription didn't go up. The same might happen again.

If you already get Sky Sports, you might get SKY Sports HD as a bonus channel if you have a HD box.

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A good argument if you are comparing £ and $ prices, and doing a conversion, but you overlooked one major factor - average earnings in the US are about double what they are here, so their TV works out cheaper.

28. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Our prices also include VAT while most US states do not have a sales tax I believe and those that do it's usually in a single figure.
    You can go on for ever trying to compare two vastly different markets/services and prices and at the end of the day be none the wiser:)

29. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I am not sure where you got your info from but it is very very wrong.

The office of national statistics in the UK puts the average UK salary in 2004 at £26254.80

The average US salary is around $31000 it varies by state New yorks average is $34460 at the higher end of the scale and Florida at the lower end with $28030

We dont do to bad in the UK

Dino

30. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I hope Sky don't expect us to subscribe to a full SD package in order to be able to get HD (for an additional subscription ).

The difference between now and when Sky Digital started is that there's now loads of SD and HD material out there on the internet.

After all, a broadband package and premium news supscription is cheaper than SKY.