Scottish Premier League

I wouldn't get carried away mate. You's couldnae even negotiate either of the Saints in the cups so are hardly anything to write home about. A good manager and a few signings and we'll be back challenging.

Congrats to Rangers though on a job well done. I look forward to a renewed proper rivalry.
Yeah no doubt yous will regroup, do you see eduoard, Christie and ajaer leaving?

I wouldn't get carried away mate. You's couldnae even negotiate either of the Saints in the cups so are hardly anything to write home about. A good manager and a few signings and we'll be back challenging.

Congrats to Rangers though on a job well done. I look forward to a renewed proper rivalry.

Lol. Defoe, a player close to retirement, came on in the 86th minute and embarrassed you.

Celtic are done.

I think Celtic could turn it around in one or two seasons if they get the right manager in. Rangers breezed the league because Celtic imploded (among other factors, like Rangers being better than in previous seasons) but as we've seen recently in Europe and against domestic teams in cup games they aren't the most mentally robust and are susceptible to throwing away leads and advantages (Benfica, Slavia) or simply losing to teams who want to win it more (St Johnstone and St Mirren). If Celtic had performed to the same level that they had in previous seasons and it was neck and neck I wouldn't be confident about Rangers romping the league like they have done this season. Probably still have won it but I reckon more points would have been dropped if there'd only been half a dozen or fewer points between them simply due to pressure and nerves.

So if Celtic get in the right manager in and make good signings then there's every possibility that Celtic will be competitive next season, but because it's more than just a change in players and management (new CEO, etc) then I reckon it could be the season after that where they'll challenge for the league again. Not if it's Howe though. Not really sure he's got what it takes to turn Celtic into a more competitive team again.

I think Celtic could turn it around in one or two seasons if they get the right manager in. Rangers breezed the league because Celtic imploded (among other factors, like Rangers being better than in previous seasons) but as we've seen recently in Europe and against domestic teams in cup games they aren't the most mentally robust and are susceptible to throwing away leads and advantages (Benfica, Slavia) or simply losing to teams who want to win it more (St Johnstone and St Mirren). If Celtic had performed to the same level that they had in previous seasons and it was neck and neck I wouldn't be confident about Rangers romping the league like they have done this season. Probably still have won it but I reckon more points would have been dropped if there'd only been half a dozen or fewer points between them simply due to pressure and nerves.

So if Celtic get in the right manager in and make good signings then there's every possibility that Celtic will be competitive next season, but because it's more than just a change in players and management (new CEO, etc) then I reckon it could be the season after that where they'll challenge for the league again. Not if it's Howe though. Not really sure he's got what it takes to turn Celtic into a more competitive team again.
Fair assessment. It's worth mentioning that Celtic are in a healthy financial position and a few of the big earners will be off the wage bill at the end of the season. I know that wealth doesn't guarantee success but it certainly improves your chances.

Talk of Celtic being finished - whatever that's supposed to mean - after one, admittidely awful, season is laughable. Rangers have been excellent domestically and are clearly the best team in Scotland now but they're still operating on a tighter budget than the best Old Firm teams of the past and don't boast the wealth of International class operators those teams contained.

How Celtic perform in the summer is going to be pivotal going forward. A bad appointment and poor signings would leave us significantly behind Rangers. But as things currently stand there is every chance that Celtic can be back challenging next season.

I've never bought into the Sevco stuff and have always viewed Rangers as the same club. I'd hate something like that to happen to my club and would feel the same way if it did. I've missed the Old Firm rivalry and always been of the opinion that Rangers struggles were bad for Scottish football. It annoyed me when Lawell played to the gallery with the Green Brigade and stated that Celtic didn't need Rangers, although he seemed to change tact further down the line.

In a literal sense neither club 'needs' each other to survive but as evidenced by the half empty stands at Celtic Park, they would be operating at a significantly reduced capacity. I've been told that I'm not a true Celtic fan for holding these views and that's fine with me. If never admitting to reality in public is what being a true fan entails then I'm perfectly happy not to be one and do not care a jot about anyone else's opinion on that. I've got plenty of genuinely important things to concern myself with in life.

And yes - I'm fudgeing great fun at parties! 😀

I was over exaggerating but it'll a couple of seasons before they're back to their best. I just can't see any turn around as soon as next season.

I've never bought into the Sevco stuff and have always viewed Rangers as the same club. I'd hate something like that to happen to my club and would feel the same way if it did. I've missed the Old Firm rivalry and always been of the opinion that Rangers struggles were bad for Scottish football. It annoyed me when Lawell played to the gallery with the Green Brigade and stated that Celtic didn't need Rangers, although he seemed to change tact further down the line.

In a literal sense neither club 'needs' each other to survive but as evidenced by the half empty stands at Celtic Park, they would be operating at a significantly reduced capacity. I've been told that I'm not a true Celtic fan for holding these views and that's fine with me. If never admitting to reality in public is what being a true fan entails then I'm perfectly happy not to be one and do not care a jot about anyone else's opinion on that. I've got plenty of genuinely important things to concern myself with in life.

I agree with that 100%. Together as rivals Rangers and Celtic make one another stronger and elevate the standard of Scottish football on the whole. Maybe their hegemony over the SPFL makes that particular competition less competitive as every club below them in the table are unable to compete for the title but it definitely increases the money available to smaller clubs in the division, particularly when one or both of them get into the CL proper and UEFA make so-called solidarity payments to SPFL clubs.

Perhaps Lawwell was covering his back in case Rangers were unable to climb back up from the 3rd division or it took them a lot longer than expected. Disingenuous salesman patter to keep the 50k+ fans turning up at Parkhead and buying merchandise from the store.

I agree with that 100%. Together as rivals Rangers and Celtic make one another stronger and elevate the standard of Scottish football on the whole. Maybe their hegemony over the SPFL makes that particular competition less competitive as every club below them in the table are unable to compete for the title but it definitely increases the money available to smaller clubs in the division, particularly when one or both of them get into the CL proper and UEFA make so-called solidarity payments to SPFL clubs.

Perhaps Lawwell was covering his back in case Rangers were unable to climb back up from the 3rd division or it took them a lot longer than expected. Disingenuous salesman patter to keep the 50k+ fans turning up at Parkhead and buying merchandise from the store.
Lawell was, as I said, idiotically playing to the gallery in a misguided attempt to appease the hardcore mentalists. He changed his tune further down the line when justifiably using Rangers absence as a reason for lower income. I think the realisation dawned on him that the rest of the fans don't necessarily go along with the thoughts of the Green Brigade.

I hate all that ”you’re no’ a real supporter” guff. I’ve had it too. Usually said by folk who are stuck in the past, full of bile and bigotry. It’s been said by fellow Rangers supporters because I don’t join in with the ‘party’ songs and by Celtic supporters because I don’t bite (or care) about ‘yer club’s deid’ or Irish stuff.

It‘s just about the football for me.

Lawell was, as I said, idiotically playing to the gallery in a misguided attempt to appease the hardcore mentalists. He changed his tune further down the line when justifiably using Rangers absence as a reason for lower income. I think the realisation dawned on him that the rest of the fans don't necessarily go along with the thoughts of the Green Brigade.
I agree with your analysis of Lawwell’s motives (purely to deflect criticism) however after Saturday’s “performance“ by both the Rangers players and fans, most Celtic fans would agree to the distancing from the “old firm” tag

Unbelievable achievement for Callum Davidson and St Johnstone. Winning the Scottish Cup and League Cup in the same season has only been done by one other club (Aberdeen) outside of the Old Firm. In his first season as a manager as well! One to keep an eye on. Stuffy, physical, old school team who are tough to beat.

Can't say I watch too much Scottish football, but from what I read, bottom in October to 5th at end of season, and a cup double. Won more then the old firm, can't have happened that often. Great first season.

Can't say I watch too much Scottish football, but from what I read, bottom in October to 5th at end of season, and a cup double. Won more then the old firm, can't have happened that often. Great first season.

And still never won manager of the year, shocking.

And still never won manager of the year, shocking.
If it was voted for and awarded after the Scottish cup final then he would have been a strong contender but he was never going to get it ahead of Gerrard for winning the League Cup.

If it was voted for and awarded after the Scottish cup final then he would have been a strong contender but he was never going to get it ahead of Gerrard for winning the League Cup.
But he should have, nothing surprises me is Scottish football anymore complete shambles since the big lie in 2012.

Not it doesn’t hurt, it’s embarrassing actually, no wonder everyone thinks Scottish football is a joke.
Never mind yous won the quad treble and weren't really interested in 10 in a row apparently, wwwwooooaaaaahhhhhhh, your demise has been absolutely glorious, long may it continue

Never mind yous won the quad treble and weren't really interested in 10 in a row apparently, wwwwooooaaaaahhhhhhh, your demise has been absolutely glorious, long may it continue
I never won anything, so I don’t get where the quad treble is in this.

1621855319075.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom