Scottish Premier League

Was listening to BBC Scotland this afternoon and they had a journalist on from the Bournemouth area and he was agreeing with the BBC Scotland journo that Howe is like Sir Alex Ferguson o_O:rotfl:

That sort of fuss. Edit - @PC1975

Was listening to BBC Scotland this afternoon and they had a journalist on from the Bournemouth area and he was agreeing with the BBC Scotland journo that Howe is like Sir Alex Ferguson o_O:rotfl:

That sort of fuss. Edit - @PC1975
Some unknown journo from Bournemouth is hardly representative of the situation in general though, is it?

I haven't seen any hint of hysteria or over excitement from Celtic supporters. Optimism, yes. And there's nothimg wrong with that. But it's been very much feet firmly on the ground with this appointment.

Some unknown journo from Bournemouth is hardly representative of the situation in general though, is it?

I haven't seen any hint of hysteria or over excitement from Celtic supporters. Optimism, yes. And there's nothimg wrong with that. But it's been very much feet firmly on the ground with this appointment.

I just meant I don't get the fuss in general rather than in relation to the excitement - or otherwise - of the Celtic support. Expect journos from the BBC to be more grounded in their opinions so to hear the BBC Scotland journalist put the comparison to the English journalist was a bit baffling. Was the Scottish journo making the comparison but the guy from Bournemouth agreed with it!

Felt the same indifference towards Howe even before the Celtic connection. Sort of like if someone said what do you think about I dunno... Chris Hughton. He's alright, I guess.

Jesse Marsch on the other hand.

I just meant I don't get the fuss in general rather than in relation to the excitement - or otherwise - of the Celtic support. Expect journos from the BBC to be more grounded in their opinions so to hear the BBC Scotland journalist put the comparison to the English journalist was a bit baffling. Was the Scottish journo making the comparison but the guy from Bournemouth agreed with it!

Felt the same indifference towards Howe even before the Celtic connection. Sort of like if someone said what do you think about I dunno... Chris Hughton. He's alright, I guess.

Jesse Marsch on the other hand.
I would be inclined to agree about Howe but there's not much we can do up here about big name managers being unwilling to come to Scotland. We can only work with what is available to us and in terms of the Scottish football scene Howe would be a pretty solid appointment.

I’ve seen a lot of Howe on the news down here and he comes across as a decent, dignified chap.

Something that Scottish football could do with, IMO.

Because it’s not always the most dignified league.

Some of the managers, past and present, haven‘t really helped the image and credibility of our game.

Because it’s not always the most dignified league.

Some of the managers, past and present, haven‘t really helped the image and credibility of our game.

but that’s the same as in the English league too

Maybe, but they have a much more credible league to start with.

Gerrard’s appointment has been good for the SPL, as was Rogers. I’d rather see Howe than a Delia or Caixinha type thing.

The level of football that gets played has nothing to do with dignity. Other than the sectarianism between some sections of old firm fans our league is no less dignified than any other and we haven't had some of the ugliness between players found in other leagues.

Now I remember why I don’t venture into football threads much 😄

I didn’t say the standard had anything to do with dignity. I suggested we don't always have the most dignified league and a Howe might be good for our game because he comes across exceptionally well. Better than Lennon.

Woodywizz then said that’s the same in the English league, which I’d agree with up to a point, although I’m not sure the of the last convicted drug dealer who led a team to a cup final down there. But even if there are a few characters in England, they have a much better and more credible league overall, so there’s less focus on them.

If you’re looking at our game “other than sectarianism” then maybe it’s not so bad. Unfortunately you can’t do that, it’s very much part of our game. It’s an embarrassment. As is, I’ll admit, Rangers recent past. So anything we can do to bring the level up a bit is a good thing to me.

My ’local’ news is English, and they’ve given more coverage to Howe’s possible appointment than they did for Rangers winning the league, or even Celtic winning 9 in a row. Maybe the Celtic fans aren’t making a big deal of it, but other places are.

Last edited:
Now I remember why I don’t venture into football threads much 😄

I didn’t say the standard had anything to do with dignity. I suggested we don't always have the most dignified league and a Howe might be good for our game because he comes across exceptionally well. Better than Lennon.

Woodywizz then said that’s the same in the English league, which I’d agree with up to a point, although I’m not sure the of the last convicted drug dealer who led a team to a cup final down there. But even if there are a few characters in England, they have a much better and more credible league overall, so there’s less focus on them.

If you’re looking at our game “other than sectarianism” then maybe it’s not so bad. Unfortunately you can’t do that, it’s very much part of our game. It’s an embarrassment. As is, I’ll admit, Rangers recent past. So anything we can do to bring the level up a bit is a good thing to me.

My ’local’ news is English, and they’ve given more coverage to Howe’s possible appointment than they did for Rangers winning the league, or even Celtic winning 9 in a row. Maybe the Celtic fans aren’t making a big deal of it, but other places are.
Well there have been quite a few distasteful at best incidents in English football in recent history such as racism and players sleeping around behind their wives backs and with other players other halves.

Not to try and engage in some kind of least bad Olympics but to single out Scottish football for being less dignified than other countries is unwarranted imo.

Howe is looking less and less likely the longer this saga drags on. Would have expected him to have signed a contract by now. Wonder if it will eventually fall into Keane's lap? Even if Celtic triumph against Rangers at the weekend I can't see John Kennedy landing the job. Would be the biggest surprise (to me, at least) out of all the candidates.

Last edited:
What a strike by Morelos after nutmegging Broony 😎
23 points ahead and only 13 goals conceded after 36 games.
Some size of a re-build required by Celtic after another sound thrashing from Rangers.
With potential Champions League money for Rangers next season, it could be some time before Celtic catch up on their rivals.

What a strike by Morelos after nutmegging Broony 😎
23 points ahead and only 13 goals conceded after 36 games.
Some size of a re-build required by Celtic after another sound thrashing from Rangers.
With potential Champions League money for Rangers next season, it could be some time before Celtic catch up on their rivals.
I wouldn't get carried away mate. You's couldnae even negotiate either of the Saints in the cups so are hardly anything to write home about. A good manager and a few signings and we'll be back challenging.

Congrats to Rangers though on a job well done. I look forward to a renewed proper rivalry.

I wouldn't get carried away mate. You's couldnae even negotiate either of the Saints in the cups so are hardly anything to write home about. A good manager and a few signings and we'll be back challenging.

Congrats to Rangers though on a job well done. I look forward to a renewed proper rivalry
Rangers only wanted to win the League, anything else would have been a bonus.
Europa League was a joy to watch.
As for "a few signings & a decent manager" to be challenging again, Rangers are miles ahead with their coaching/backroom set up, it took 2 or 3 years but is now paying dividends.
Lawwell & Lennon have set Celtic back a decade, undoing all the great work that Brendan Rodgers achieved.
I mean, Diego Laxalt 😂

Rangers only wanted to win the League, anything else would have been a bonus.
Europa League was a joy to watch.
As for "a few signings & a decent manager" to be challenging again, Rangers are miles ahead with their coaching/backroom set up, it took 2 or 3 years but is now paying dividends.
Lawwell & Lennon have set Celtic back a decade, undoing all the great work that Brendan Rodgers achieved.
I mean, Diego Laxalt 😂
Oft Mr Arrogance won't like that, be prepared for sevco 1st title, zombies etc etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom