Scottish Premier League

^^^Big fish, very small pond^^^ can do nothing about it really.

True, but not that long ago we were competing with the 'Big' teams in Europe. From the MON era to even WGS i had optimism going into the CL that we could get out the group stages.
The boards decision to dilly dally while Rangers(2012) went under has caused this catch up again.

Look at the Dutch league for example. Got 3 big teams and one of them Ajax spent £9m on a player this season! Is money in the Dutch league better or more then Scotland?

It's not the Celtic model now but to progress in Europe we need to buy players who are country miles ahead of Scotland but good enough for our CL campaign.
Look at Sinclair for example. He was drifting since his Swansea days and at Villa was stale but totally rejuvenated now. He looks a player in Europe and is clearly waaaay ahead of anything up here.
For £3-4m quid a great bit of business.

True, but not that long ago we were competing with the 'Big' teams in Europe. From the MON era to even WGS i had optimism going into the CL that we could get out the group stages.
The boards decision to dilly dally while Rangers(2012) went under has caused this catch up again.

Look at the Dutch league for example. Got 3 big teams and one of them Ajax spent £9m on a player this season! Is money in the Dutch league better or more then Scotland?

It's not the Celtic model now but to progress in Europe we need to buy players who are country miles ahead of Scotland but good enough for our CL campaign.
Look at Sinclair for example. He was drifting since his Swansea days and at Villa was stale but totally rejuvenated now. He looks a player in Europe and is clearly waaaay ahead of anything up here.
For £3-4m quid a great bit of business.

I get where you are coming from, but the key to a lot of things today is TV money and players wages, I am pretty sure that Scotland has one of the worst deals in Europe IIRC even Norway get more money per team.

Yes good management and a good squad will only get you so far as when a big money offer comes in, that player is gone as you cannot afford to pay him 80/100k a week and the likes of a middling EPL team can.

I get where you are coming from, but the key to a lot of things today is TV money and players wages, I am pretty sure that Scotland has one of the worst deals in Europe IIRC even Norway get more money per team.

Yes good management and a good squad will only get you so far as when a big money offer comes in, that player is gone as you cannot afford to pay him 80/100k a week and the likes of a middling EPL team can.

Celtic made more money playing in the PreSeason friendlies against Inter, Barca & Leicester than we will for winning the league :suicide:

I fully understand that we are a selling club and players will move on but if they can help us progress in Europe that can only be a good thing. CL money and player sales make for a healthy profit which allows you to buy a little better than what we've been currently doing....

Obviously I'm over the moon with the performances of the players we have brought in at celtic, but the main thing that's sold me in Rodgers is the difference he's made to Scott Brown - last season, I'd have been happy to punt him, as he seemed to be well past his best. Never been happier to be wrong, as Broonie had probably been our most improved player this season. Bossing the midfield in so many games - including against Man City.
We need a far stronger midfield to compete in Europe, but it's night and day to the weak rubbish we saw from Ronnie last year.

Obviously I'm over the moon with the performances of the players we have brought in at celtic, but the main thing that's sold me in Rodgers is the difference he's made to Scott Brown - last season, I'd have been happy to punt him, as he seemed to be well past his best. Never been happier to be wrong, as Broonie had probably been our most improved player this season. Bossing the midfield in so many games - including against Man City.
We need a far stronger midfield to compete in Europe, but it's night and day to the weak rubbish we saw from Ronnie last year.
Couldn't agree more. I was too in the dump Broony camp and was wanting Sviatchenko made Captain, happy to be proved wrong.
His drive in midfield is what we had 4 years ago, becoming the player again we knew he was.
What we need is that James Mccarthy player beside him as Bitton is powder puff, though I thought Armstrong was really good today.

BR also deserves credit for the change in Rogic. He was almost out the door and now is the player that makes you think Kris who?

The result today cements the title. 9npoints clear with a game in hand, no way are we relinquishing that.

So onwards to the CL on Tuesday and the task of trying to get a result in Germany. Borussia are a great team and I don't expect much but that away win has to come sometime, maybe this is the time.....

Not meaning to be funny but at what point do we expect Celtic to afford a player like James McCarthy, transfer fee and wages?

James is in the last 18 months of his contract (I believe) so he's getting close to dictating his own terms.
He's a massive Celtic fan and would happily play for the club even if it meant a reduced pay packet.
He was close to joining on loan at the beginning of the season so I can see something like this happening in the near future.

I don't really know but if we want to spend big we can. I'm sure the Sinclair deal wasn't cheap, £3-4m transfer and (i guess) around 35-40k per week over 3 years.

I would be surprised if mccarthy left for anything less than £10m, and I just don't see him going to celtic for less than he could earn in the epl. Maybe, but it's really not in the players DNA these days to do anything than milk what they can

It all depends on the players length of contract, if he gets within the last year he's free to negotiate his own deal.
Anyway it's pie in the sky i was using him as an example of a player who'd add quality to our midfield.

Men against Bhoys

Just noticed on Sky that the Scottish premiership season has end with each team playing 38 games.
Can someone explain how it works there?
I thought Scottish leagues teams played the others sides 4 times per season but there are 12 sides in the Premiership which would be 44 games ?

EDIT
Just found an explanation on Wikipedia.
Bloody hell :eek:
My head still hurts :D

Last edited:
On a semi related note, here's hoping BT take all the Scottish footballs coverage at the next contract negotiations, SKY's attitude and coverage towards Scottish football is atrocious

A little late to this party, unlike SKY who buggered off before it even started :mad:

Lots of detractors about the Scottish league but our achievement so far is nothing short of outstanding. A full season unbeaten (which has not been achieved for over 100 years) deserves the plaudits and rightfully so.
If we tie up the SC on Saturday then it's historic, a Treble and unbeaten 'infrangible' :D

The man management of BR has to be lauded too. He's turned round the careers of Boyata, Armstrong, Gordon and installed confidence into guys like Forrest, McGregor and Sinclair.

If reports are to be be believed then the acquirement of Roberts will be warmly received. Boy has undoubted ability and has shown that over last 18 months, came on leaps and bounds.

So i look forward to Saturday, Aberdeen will be flying with how they finished the season so should make for a good game.
However, if we turn up then no one will live with how we play.

COYBIG !!!!

It would have been more of an achievement in times when there was more of a challenge in the league to be honest, Rodgers has undoubtedly made an improvement, but the league is a shite barometer to actually give merit to the unbeaten season.

It would have been more of an achievement in times when there was more of a challenge in the league to be honest, Rodgers has undoubtedly made an improvement, but the league is a sh*te barometer to actually give merit to the unbeaten season.

League was sh*te last season and season before and season before etc yet it wasn't achieved. The Rangers came back into the league and remember #goingfor55 yet failed.

We can't help being light years ahead of everyone and you always get anomalies and decisions that can go against you that kills the chance. Ross County penalty that was a dive? Could have been 0-0 at that point and it was gone.

Lots of teams across Europe have achieved that feat and those leagues are not sh*te. To be unbeaten over 38 games is a feat and probably not achieved again.

From UEFA website -

Teams who have got through entire 21st-century UEFA-affiliated league seasons* unbeaten
Andorra: Constellació Esportiva (1999/00: P12 W12 D0 L0 F71 A6 Pts36)
Armenia: Pyunik (2003: P28 W23 D5 L0 F87 A11 Pts74)
Bulgaria: CSKA Sofia (2007/08: P30 W24 D6 L0 F53 A11 Pts78)
Croatia: Dinamo Zagreb (2014/15: P36 W26 D10 L0 F85 A21 Pts88)
Cyprus: Apollon Limassol (2005/06: P26 W19 D7 L0 F68 A24 Pts64)
Anorthosis Famagusta (2007/08: P32 W20 D12 L0 F58 A19 Pts72)
Czech Republic: Sparta Praha (2009/10: P30 W16 D14 L0 F42 A14 Pts62)
England: Arsenal (2003/04: P38 W26 D12 L0 F73 A26 Pts90)
Estonia: Flora Tallinn (2003: P28 W24 D4 L0 F105 A21 Pts76)
Gibraltar: **Lincoln (2009/10: P18 W17 D1 L0 F67 A12 Pts52)
**Lincoln (2010/11: P20 W16 D4 L0 F72 A22 Pts52)
**Lincoln (2011/12: P20 W17 D3 L0 F82 A18 Pts54)
Lincoln (2012/13: P15 W13 D2 L0 F68 A13 Pts41)
Lincoln (2013/14: P14 W11 D3 L0 F66 A6 Pts36)
Hungary: Debrecen (2011/12: P30 W22 D8 L0 F64 A18 Pts74)
Iceland: Stjarnan (2014: F22 W15 D7 L0 F42 A21 Pts52)
Italy: Juventus (2011/12: P38 W23 D15 L0 F68 A20 Pts84)
Malta: Valletta (2010/11: P28 W18 D10 L0 F59 A17 Pts42)
Moldova: Sheriff (2006/07: P36 W28 D8 L0 F70 A7 Pts92)
Norway: Rosenborg (2010: P30 W19 D11 L0 F58 A24 Pts68)
Portugal: Porto (2010/11: P30 W27 D3 L0 F73 A16 Pts84)
Porto (2012/13: P30 W24 D6 L0 F70 A14 Pts78)
Scotland: Celtic (2016/17: P38 W34 D4 L0 F106 A25 Pts106)
Serbia: Partizan*** (2004/05: P30 W25 D5 L0 F81 A20 Pts80)
Crvena zvezda (2007/08: P33 W21 D12 L0 F65 A22 Pts75)
Partizan (2009/10: P30 W24 D6 L0 F63 A14 Pts78)
Ukraine: Shakhtar (2001/02: P26 W20 D6 L0 F49 A10 Pts66)
Dynamo Kyiv (2006/07: P30 W22 D8 L0 F67 A23 Pts74)
Dynamo Kyiv (2014/15: P26 W20 D6 L0 F65 A12 Pts66)

*1999/2000 onwards
** titles precede Gibraltar becoming a full member of UEFA in 2013
*** title was won in Serbia and Montenegro

Agreed some of those leagues are not great but some are.

League was sh*te last season and season before and season before etc yet it wasn't achieved. The Rangers came back into the league and remember #goingfor55 yet failed.

We can't help being light years ahead of everyone and you always get anomalies and decisions that can go against you that kills the chance. Ross County penalty that was a dive? Could have been 0-0 at that point and it was gone.

Lots of teams across Europe have achieved that feat and those leagues are not sh*te. To be unbeaten over 38 games is a feat and probably not achieved again.
I'd say it's more of an embarrassment that it's not been done so often since Rangers dropped out the league to be honest.

Haahaha your a good fisherman but this fish ain't biting......

Not fishing, just can't honestly see this be lauded as a great achievement. It's good, but when you factor in the circumstances it loses some shine.

It would have been more of an achievement in times when there was more of a challenge in the league to be honest, Rodgers has undoubtedly made an improvement, but the league is a sh*te barometer to actually give merit to the unbeaten season.

Aye it may not be up there with the besets league in the world, where the dross that is Sunderland walk away with 100m for coming rock bottom.

But undefeated domestically is a feat that is special and it's churlish to knock it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom