Scottish Parliament

Discussion in 'Past Entries' started by PaulMcI, Dec 26, 2006.

1. PaulMcI

PaulMcI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my first submission to this forum. Taken today in slightly hazy conditions with a newly acquired Olympus C765 from Santa, with a great backdrop of Athur's Seat.

[​IMG]
    Camera: C765UZ
    Aperture: F/3.2
    ISO: 125
    Speed: 1/50s
    Focal Length: 11.5mm

Cropped, but nothing else.

Thanks to my son (another AVForums member) for showing me how to post this. Hopefully I'll be able to do my own in the future!

2. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This picture is over exposed and has too much noise. It would be better with more saturation of colour and perhaps a lower ISO setting (100 or 200.)

I think the composition is crap to be honest. The "architecture" occupies the bottom fraction of the image and is barely even visible through those annoying twigs. There is too much hill side as well, and so what might have been an interesting contrast between concrete and nature, just looks like a messy combination of primary school roof and hill side that makes the parliament look like a blot on the landscape.

I would've tried to focuse more on the building, and perhaps tried to have the hill looming over the building from a worms eye view from in front of the building.

3. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    No 1 post... Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

That looks like a tricky shot to pull off. I quite like the voyeuristic element of the view through the trees. The exposure looks a bit off (the sky is blown out) but could probably be rectified in post processing and maybe add some contrast to reduce the effect of the haze. I don't think that's allowed in the comp once you've posted your image though - you're stuck with this entry as far as I know.

Enjoy your new camera! Keep snapping and keep posting. :) You'll find this a friendly place with a lot of very knowledgeable folk who are only too willing to offer advice, help, and positive criticism. :smashin:

4. colbec23

colbec23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Although I agree with the others on exposure, I think Robert is being a bit tough on your first entry.

I tried this shot myself, and in far better conditions than you had (see my athens of the north shot for an idea of the beautiful day I had to work with). I tried a few different arrangements from Regent Road and just couldn't get one that worked for me, either composition or exposure wise. I was trying to get something that showed what for me is a great building (even if it was a touch costly, onefivenine!), yet is still dwarfed by the majesty of Arthur's Seat. I think what you have done shows that, even if it doesn't show the parliament particularly well.

I've yet to work out the best angle to take the parliament - fantastic architecture, but really difficult to shoot well without either focusing on a small part of it and losing the sense of scale and ambition, or making it look bitty and losing any sense of how the place hangs together (unless you have a helicopter handy, or can be bothered to trail up the crags).

A good go, and hopefully not your last.