Scottish Parliament Election 2021

From the chatter I've seen on social media from folks in the area, the fishermen are angry so I think his days as an MP are probably numbered.
Elspeth McDonald(?) from the SFF was on the radio this morning downplaying the failure to gain access to Norwegian waters. Swiftly followed by the guy from the Creel Federation explaining all the losses since Brexit. On the upside, all this BlueTape has resulted in three people being hired by one company to do the paperwork.

Elspeth McDonald(?) from the SFF was on the radio this morning downplaying the failure to gain access to Norwegian waters. Swiftly followed by the guy from the Creel Federation explaining all the losses since Brexit. On the upside, all this BlueTape has resulted in three people being hired by one company to do the paperwork.
Who knew there's been a transfer of powers to the Scottish Gov??

Autumn 2020 Nicola Sturgeon - "I will not use a global pandemic for political gain" Fast forward a couple of months, "Indy Ref 2 is coming!"
Both votes Labour for me

Autumn 2020 Nicola Sturgeon - "I will not use a global pandemic for political gain" Fast forward a couple of months, "Indy Ref 2 is coming!"
Both votes Labour for me
Ah, so you prefer politicians who use people's deaths for political gain (See Sarwars comments in the second leaders debate)

Lots in the papers this morning about a £billion package in the event of an SNP majority to persuade Scots they are better off ruled by England. Big takeaways from the articles from me:

1 - The Tories are desperate to stop an SNP majority. They know it will kill IndyRef2 dead in the water. Takeaways please both votes SNP.

2 - The Tories see a combined vote of Lib-Lab-Tory vote at 50% as grounds to refuse IndyRef2. Takeaways a vote for Labour is indistinguishable from a vote for Conservatives.

3 - Not voting for Indy parties would be voting against the Boris cash bung being mooted in the papers today. As much as it is annoying we have to beg for England to give us our own money, it is what it is. Takeaway vote SNP to get the cash.

Takeaways a vote for Labour is indistinguishable from a vote for Conservatives.
Best of luck to Anas Sarwar when Labour's constitutional commission reports that a referendum is needed for Fedaralism.

Ireland is a great example of how countries can thrive after independence, Botswana progressed even quicker, 3rd poorest country in Africa as a British Protectorate to one of the wealthiest
I particular, Ireland has thrived as a result of EU membership, something the SNP will not be shy to mention in their independence pitch.

Do you not think the EU would be split on this?

For the nations with nationalist movements, (Spain being the highest profile but plenty of others in France and so on) would they want to see Scotland get an easy rid back in? I highly doubt it, they'd want Scotland on it's knees first as a strong demonstration of how much it's going to hurt if you try follow that road.

Also the EU already have 27 members, if internal states start going the way of Yugoslavia do you really think they want 50 or 100 members? The very purpose of the EU is the opposite of Nationalism.
I would be astonished if the EU ignore the Scottish 62% Remain vote and snubbed their application to rejoin.

I particular, Ireland has thrived as a result of EU membership, something the SNP will not be shy to mention in their independence pitch.
They'll also have to explain how long it will take us to rejoin.... the SNP's own growth commission report thought up to about 10 years.

They'll also have to explain how long it will take us to rejoin.... the SNP's own growth commission report thought up to about 10 years.
I hope you hold the UK up to the same demands in telling us how long it’ll take us to rejoin the EU. Oh, that’s right - it’s never going to happen. Remaining in the UK means an absolute denial of all EU aspirations forever.

Firstly Ireland did the same as it's proposed for Scotland when it became independent, it pegged to GBP, and this lasted for 40-50 years.

Ireland did not do well in it's first decades of independence, it's a great example of the hardships awaiting the people of Scotland if it follows the same path.

Finally, Ireland thrived in the EU as it basically undercut everyone on tax, not really a nice way to behave and it appears that goose is finally cooked, new rules will force Ireland to double it's corp tax rate

So that particular magic bullet will no longer exist for a future independent Scotland

I would be astonished if the EU ignore the Scottish 62% Remain vote and snubbed their application to rejoin.
Why? Many countries would like to join the EU, but firstly they have to meet the entry requirement.

This is going to be absolutely brutal for Scotland

Current SNP policy is Sterlingisation, this means we can't join the EU

We need to create our own central bank and currency, then align this to the Euro before we can join.

Due to the fact the Scottish economy has such a large deficit, this is no easy matter and makes the austerity years of 2010-2020 look like a walk in the park in comparison.

Why? Many countries would like to join the EU, but firstly they have to meet the entry requirement.

This is going to be absolutely brutal for Scotland

Current SNP policy is Sterlingisation, this means we can't join the EU

We need to create our own central bank and currency, then align this to the Euro before we can join.

Due to the fact the Scottish economy has such a large deficit, this is no easy matter and makes the austerity years of 2010-2020 look like a walk in the park in comparison.
Don’t forget that the Scottish government does not run up a deficit, that is done by Westminster spending money on Scotland’s behalf on things like Trident and aircraft carriers without aircraft.

Don’t forget that the Scottish government does not run up a deficit, that is done by Westminster spending money on Scotland’s behalf on things like Trident and aircraft carriers without aircraft.
... and benefits like the state pension.

The aircraft carriers built in Scotland do have aircrafts.

They'll also have to explain how long it will take us to rejoin.... the SNP's own growth commission report thought up to about 10

Who knew there's been a transfer of powers to the Scottish Gov??

The Scottish Government's powers..

"The Scottish Government will be given powers to protect off-shore marine habitats from the impacts of fishing, as well as amend regulations on aquatic animal disease in the same way that the UK Government will be able to do. This will enable Scotland to protect the vitally important and valuable Scottish fish farming industry.

The Bill provides powers enabling the Scottish Ministers to amend technical fisheries regulations, equivalent to those provided to the UK Government. This is a critical power which will allow the Scottish Government to move away from the CFP after the implementation period in a measured and controlled way that works for their industry, allowing the benefits of Brexit to be realised."

Seems similar to the process that was adopted over the devolution of the Crown Estate. I recall it was devolved initially to Scottish Ministers.

Now look at it!

The Scottish Government's powers..

"The Scottish Government will be given powers to protect off-shore marine habitats from the impacts of fishing, as well as amend regulations on aquatic animal disease in the same way that the UK Government will be able to do. This will enable Scotland to protect the vitally important and valuable Scottish fish farming industry.

The Bill provides powers enabling the Scottish Ministers to amend technical fisheries regulations, equivalent to those provided to the UK Government. This is a critical power which will allow the Scottish Government to move away from the CFP after the implementation period in a measured and controlled way that works for their industry, allowing the benefits of Brexit to be realised."

Seems similar to the process that was adopted over the devolution of the Crown Estate. I recall it was devolved initially to Scottish Ministers.

Now look at it!

fish farming being a sovereign coastal pursuit :rotfl:

This seems like a resonably balanced (if not particularly insightful) take on things:

Heres a question. If we voted no/didn't have an Indyref, are there any powers that Unionists would like to see devolved? Or is the status quo fine?

... and benefits like the state pension.

The aircraft carriers built in Scotland do have aircrafts.
People in Scotland who receive the state pension have paid tax....it’s not as if hard pressed English taxpayers are paying for it

People in Scotland who receive the state pension have paid tax....it’s not as if hard pressed English taxpayers are paying for it
I didn't say we haven't, please see smudges post for the context.

There is a gulf though between our revenue and expenditure.

If you want to see nasty campaigning, have a look at the All For Unity Twitter feed. It seems they are extolling the virtues of the Highland Clearances and Redcoats bayoneting Highlanders in order to get the votes of the very worst dregs of British Nationalists. Still, a vote for them is one less vote for the Conservatives.

GERS advises how much Scotland earns vs how much it spends, this is prepared in Scotland by the Scottish government

Unlike Greece where it's made to pay for it's indulgence the UK is a transfer union, the parts that need the cash get it without having to class it as a loan, pretty good eh?

Can you advise on the cost of trident vs Scottish deficit? it's circa £200m with a deficit of £14,000m, basically a drop in the ocean

UK spends 40,000m on defence a year, 5% on trident (10% of that to Scotland is the £200m) now if Scotland sticks to NATO spending commitments it would spend circa £4,000m.

Even if Scotland cut it's defence spending to ZERO it would still have a deficit of £10,000m,

Any other savings coming to mind? Remember SNP policy is to use the GBP so that over spend needs to get to zero, so where would you cut?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom