Scottish Parliament Election 2021

An Indy MSP majority will achieve nothing, we have that now and the Section 30 request has been rejected time and again. To get Section 30, we need an SNP majority, any other solution doesn't lead to independence.

This election is SO important. If we don't get IndyRef2 now, the window of opportunity will close and independence will be lost for years, maybe decades. Alba will grow in strength and challenge the SNP splitting the vote. Scottish Labour will get stronger, weakening SNP support. Boris may even fall giving a Tory PM who is more popular.

Sturgeon offers the best path to indy but only if she gets a SNP majority. I am no fan of the SNP, I will drop them and vote Scots Labour if indy is secured, but Alba and the Scottish Greens are panaceas for continued Unionism IMHO.

In many areas though giving the SNP your 2nd vote is a waste of time. I would vote SNP 1&2 if I lived in the North East or Borders but I would rather game the system and get rid of the Tory and Labour listers and get in Pro Indy list MSPs.

In many areas though giving the SNP your 2nd vote is a waste of time. I would vote SNP 1&2 if I lived in the North East or Borders but I would rather game the system and get rid of the Tory and Labour listers and get in Pro Indy list MSPs.
Lucky is the voter who was one party that covers their views.

For me in Glasgow: both votes Indy!

An Indy MSP majority will achieve nothing, we have that now and the Section 30 request has been rejected time and again. To get Section 30, we need an SNP majority, any other solution doesn't lead to independence.

This election is SO important. If we don't get IndyRef2 now, the window of opportunity will close and independence will be lost for years, maybe decades. Alba will grow in strength and challenge the SNP splitting the vote. Scottish Labour will get stronger, weakening SNP support. Boris may even fall giving a Tory PM who is more popular.

Sturgeon offers the best path to indy but only if she gets a SNP majority. I am no fan of the SNP, I will drop them and vote Scots Labour if indy is secured, but Alba and the Scottish Greens are panaceas for continued Unionism IMHO.
You keep saying this, but you're wrong. So long as there is a decisive pro-independence majority in the election, the case for another referendum is undeniable. You have had Conservative MPs saying this themselves, there's only so long that Johnson can keep saying no, but its not a position which is substainable. Getting an SNP majority would be a miracle in itself, its a system which isn't designed for it.

If there's a pro-independence majority after this election, there will be a referendum within the next Parliamentary term, no question. If, by some chance, Westminster stands firm, I would be all for holding one anyway and going to the courts, because the case will have been made there and then (and that, in reality, is the Conservative belief anyway).

You keep saying this, but you're wrong. So long as there is a decisive pro-independence majority in the election, the case for another referendum is undeniable.
Its only undeniable if the SNP get a majority. We currently have a Holyrood nationalist majority and, guess what, Westminster denied a referendum. Not once but twice! It has happened, we have the precedent. To deny that is just putting your faith in hollow rhetoric such as "undeniable" and "unsustainable".

Its all very well voting for the Scot Greens but when it comes to court later this year, the UK lawyers will twist it. They will say IndyRef2 was on the ballot paper (which it is - "SNP - IndyRef2") but people didn't vote for it. They will say a vote for the Scots Greens is a vote to make sure Sammy the Seal can swim up the Clyde - not IndyRef2.

IMHO people need to think beyond the May election. Its all very well saying a second vote for the SNP doesn't matter in some areas but it will matter in the endgame beyond May. Remember, the May election is just a facilitator to get IndyRef2 and there are both POLITICIAL and LEGAL dimensions at play. If we get an SNP majority and a good showing in the SNP vote, we will get IndyRef2 in the near term. If we don't get that SNP majority, then there will be no referendum this electoral period. And with the changes to Judicial Review being imposed, by 2026 it wont be possible to challenge a Section 30 order. Read the latest Amnesty International report on the UK if you want a idea of the trends that will frustrate us.

I appreciate I am coming across as a SNP nut here so will bow out now. But I passionately believe in Scottish independence and can see the whole thing coming unravelled. For the want of a nail...

Sorry, just an adendum to the above. A Scottish Tory flyer has just come through the door and the wording is so important:

Tory_Flyer.jpg

See Tory plan = stop SNP majority = stop IndyRef2

Sorry, just an adendum to the above. A Scottish Tory flyer has just come through the door and the wording is so important:

View attachment 1491522

its the same every election including the council ones 'stop indyref2' nothing about policies. A right slap in the face for Ross featuring the baroness.

Not only do the Tories have nothing to offer Scotland, but they now openly stand only for denying it things.

Ruth deciding to step down has been disastrous for the Scottish Tories.

I'm pretty sure when she was in charge she wouldn't have considered having Annabel Goldie on her literature.

I'm a former member of the SNP but I don't want to give them my 2nd vote as I have not been happy with the dangling carrot approach to Indy ref 2 and the ah well Bozo says No so we are up a creek without a paddle. I can't back ALBA as I felt NS was targeted by the bloggers and tweeters behind them and they weren't giving two flying frogs about Indy, just trying to pass the buck on 1 persons bad behaviour onto someone I believe was innocent in the whole grubby affair. I like the policies of the Greens and their leader wee Patrick and to me a majority of Indy MSPs is just as good as an SNP majority.
I wonder if ironically the Greens get a massive boost as a result of Alba and Tories making so much noise trying to get voters to lend them their second vote.

We have a situation where two parties are promoting the idea of gaming the system, this raises awareness of how the system works and how splitting your vote can be tactically useful.

But ultimately, just like some tacky reality TV series (I've been watching too much Circle) they may embrace the tactics but use them to reward the parties that seem to be playing fair.

I had intended to give my second vote to the Scottish Greens but found out the party will be contesting thirteen Constituency Seats. In the last election the party stood in just three. It is entirely possible therefore for the SNP to lose seats to a unionist party they could reasonably expect to win. With that potential loss in mind I will now be giving my second vote to the SNP. I don't just want a referendum either. I want to win it. There are too many people associate with the Alba Party who would be happy with federalism, Home Rule or Full Fiscal Autonomy and closer ties with Labour.

With that potential loss in mind I will now be giving my second vote to the SNP.
WTF! You're in the Glasgow region! The SNP have 9 constituency seats there! At the last election the Greens required an additional 6137 votes to take another seat from the

Tories
:facepalm:

Last edited:
I had intended to give my second vote to the Scottish Greens but found out the party will be contesting thirteen Constituency Seats. In the last election the party stood in just three. It is entirely possible therefore for the SNP to lose seats to a unionist party they could reasonably expect to win. With that potential loss in mind I will now be giving my second vote to the SNP. I don't just want a referendum either. I want to win it. There are too many people associate with the Alba Party who would be happy with federalism, Home Rule or Full Fiscal Autonomy and closer ties with Labour.
I'd argue the opposite, IMO there's more gradualists in the SNP than the Alba Party

WTF! You're in the Glasgow region! The SNP have 9 constituency seats there! At the last election the Greens required an additional 6137 votes to take another seat from the

Tories
:facepalm:
The Scottish Greens would have got my vote had they not put candidates up for Constituency Seats. In 2016, that tactic split the pro-independence vote and helped Ruth Davidson win the seat. If they can do that much with three candidates think of the carnage with 13 candidates. I can see Tory and Lib-Dem voters switching their votes to Labour to stop the SNP winning the seat. Labour could even get soft SNP voters to switch should their Manifesto promise a Constitutional Convention. If it comes with a guarantee it will be implemented by a future UK Labour government their could be a pro-union majority. So not taking any chances I will vote SNP 1 & 2.

View attachment 1491522

It is interesting that this flyer has ex Tory leader Ruth rather than "DRoss" on it. Isn't she standing down as an MSP anyway?

I know Ruth Davidson wanted to take a step back now she has a child, but it is such a shame she stood down. Ross has led a weak campaign, and were the Lib Dems or Labour actually taking part in this election? Not heard a thing from them. But it does reveal the dearth of talent amongst unionist parties in Scotland. I wonder if that's a component of the SNP's incredible success in the last decade.

I know Ruth Davidson wanted to take a step back now she has a child, but it is such a shame she stood down. Ross has led a weak campaign, and were the Lib Dems or Labour actually taking part in this election? Not heard a thing from them. But it does reveal the dearth of talent amongst unionist parties in Scotland. I wonder if that's a component of the SNP's incredible success in the last decade.

The Scottish Tories were on the slide long before Davidson stepped down. She knew they were past peak support and she would never be First Minister. Her friends in the media helped craft her image but that can only be sustained for so long. She was exposed as a one trick pony 'no to indyref' and well known for going missing when the heat was on. This wanting to spend more time with my child was nonsense. Wanting to Take on a second job while an MSP is strange way of 'taking a step back' while you have a full time job as an MSP. Renewed calls for ban on second jobs for MSPs after Ruth Davidson takes £50,000 PR role
And I have no doubt putting her in the unelected Lords will be about given her a more significant cabinet role in the Tory Government.

Her friends in the media helped craft her image but that can only be sustained for so long.
?

Remember her being interviewed on GMS by Gary Robertson only for her to tell everyone how much Gary was paid. Perhaps I read/listen to different media.

Last edited:
?

Remember her being interviewed on GMS by Gary Robertson only for her to tell everyone how much Gary was paid. Perhaps I read/listen to different media.

I am not sure the point you are making. Ruth Davidson was a journalist at the BBC. She has a lot of friends there.

?

The media is more than just one journalist, although she did also walk off camera when asked about Theresa May's deal with the DUP given their thoughts on the LGBTQ+ community

It's also not the first time she's blabbed sensitive info into the public domain

She also famously selective when available for interview

I find it really telling that they're still wheeling out the Baroness to vouch for their candidates...

And as others are saying, she seems to have only one trick up her sleeve.

PXL_20210411_101717611.jpg

Her friends in the media helped craft her image but that can only be sustained for so long.

Ruth Davidson was a journalist at the BBC. She has a lot of friends there.
Fully aware of her background at the Beeb. Just think its too simple to say her friends in the media helped her out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom