Scottish Parliament Election 2021

The English are spending £50 odd billion on Trident

Are we, so that’s why there were collection buckets in Warrington town centre. Or do you mean the British Government, which believe it or not contains a few non-English individuals amongst it’s dubious ranks.

Are we, so that’s why there were collection buckets in Warrington town centre. Or do you mean the British Government, which believe it or not contains a few non-English individuals amongst it’s dubious ranks.
Has Sots, Welsh and NI'ish stopped paying UK taxes? I must have missed that.

Has Sots, Welsh and NI'ish stopped paying UK taxes? I must have missed that.

Well seeing I was responding to this comment,

“The English are spending £50 odd billion on Trident”

Then it appears you are asking the wrong guy.

No worries pal, probably me misreading your response :)
Just makes me laugh when SNP Scots like to forget they are still part of the Union the Scotish people voted to stay in, and anything they disagree with gets blamed on the non-existant English parliment/government 😄

Just makes me laugh when SNP Scots like to forget they are still part of the Union the Scotish people voted to stay in, and anything they disagree with gets blamed on the non-existant English parliment/government 😄

An English government run buy a guy born in New York who is possibly being undermined by a colleague born in Aberdeen. :D

I’ve always said the enemy of Scottish statehood and sovereignty isn’t the English - it’s Scots who are determined to keep Scotland a region of the UK.

There is, however, an English parliament, based in England, which retains the historic traditions and customs it has developed since its inception a thousand or so years ago.

Historians have noted that the English parliament sat the day after the union with Scotland unchanged, save that it had expanded its territorial power, and it has continued to operate as the English parliament through various subsequent increases and decreases of territorial competence, without losing its identity as the English parliament (and without adopting anything of the parliamentary customs, traditions, and privileges of the territories it expanded to represent). I take your point about the UK government, though, which is a separate entity from the English parliament.

I’ve always said the enemy of Scottish statehood and sovereignty isn’t the English - it’s Scots who are determined to keep Scotland a region of the UK.

There is, however, an English parliament, based in England, which retains the historic traditions and customs it has developed since its inception a thousand or so years ago.

Historians have noted that the English parliament sat the day after the union with Scotland unchanged, save that it had expanded its territorial power, and it has continued to operate as the English parliament through various subsequent increases and decreases of territorial competence, without losing its identity as the English parliament (and without adopting anything of the parliamentary customs, traditions, and privileges of the territories it expanded to represent). I take your point about the UK government, though, which is a separate entity from the English parliament.
I'm British first, English last, I'm not aware I have a seperate parliment that only English MP's vote on, unlike Scotish, Welsh, NI.

As far as I'm aware the elected UK government and House of commons MP's have representation from all the UK nations. Am I totally wrong on this?

Last edited:
nice to see the snp release they need a currency of their own and I guess if the eu membership is on the table , they get away on that point.
Hadrian walk aka eu hard boarder is less lightly to get voter approval. They will say one thing and then do another, vote no. I’m sure this time they know it’s not a protest vote

I'm British first, English last, I'm not aware I have a seperate parliment that only English MP's vote on, unlike Scotish, Welsh, NI.

As far as I'm aware the elected UK governemnt and House of commons MP's have representation from all the UK nations. Am I totally wrong on this?
Yes. The UK government and the House of Commons (and the English parliament, for that matter) are all different institutions with different histories. The definitive text on the parliament is Kenneth R McKenzie’s “The English Parliament”. However, Rosalind Mitchison and G. W. S. Barrow’s “Why Scottish History Matters” is also useful:

“Post 1707, the English parliament continued to exist, its traditions, powers and procedures unchanged except that a few new members representing Scotland were added to it. Scotland contributed nothing to the new state’s constitution.”

The same was true of Ireland and had been true when Wales was annexed in the 1530s. The English parliament has never been extinguished or formally abolished (whereas the Scottish parliament with all its historic traditions, such as the “Riding”, was); it has sat with more or fewer members over the centuries, but it has never absorbed any customs from its expanded territories, and so never lost any when the UK broke up in the 1920s. It retains only customs and traditions which are English (Black Rod, etc.). To claim that these customs are “British” is to pretend that the nations of the UK just didn’t exist prior to 1707 (which is a bit silly). Apologies for the history lesson. 🤣

Yes. The UK government and the House of Commons (and the English parliament, for that matter) are all different institutions with different histories. The definitive text on the parliament is Kenneth R McKenzie’s “The English Parliament”. However, Rosalind Mitchison and G. W. S. Barrow’s “Why Scottish History Matters” is also useful:

“Post 1707, the English parliament continued to exist, its traditions, powers and procedures unchanged except that a few new members representing Scotland were added to it. Scotland contributed nothing to the new state’s constitution.”

The same was true of Ireland and had been true when Wales was annexed in the 1530s. The English parliament has never been extinguished or formally abolished; it has sat with more or fewer members over the centuries, but it has never absorbed any customs from its expanded territories, and so never lost any when the UK broke up in the 1920s. It retains only customs and traditions which are English (Black Rod, etc.). To claim that these customs are “British” is to pretend that the nations of the UK just didn’t exist prior to 1707 (which is a bit silly).
I will have to research on this then. So, if there is something specific to England the SNP and Plaid and DUP MP's etc. Don't get a vote?

I will have to research on this then. So, if there is something specific to England the SNP and Plaid and DUP MP's etc. Don't get a vote?
That is the case. Better than Tory MP Lucy Frazier’s suggestion - that Scots be sold into slavery or massacred to stop us having a say. 🤣 Honestly, though, the customs and traditions of the English parliament, some weird and funny, and many of which are still in force, have fascinating histories.

That is the case. Better than Tory MP Lucy Frazier’s suggestion - that Scots be sold into slavery or massacred to stop us having a say. 🤣 Honestly, though, the customs and traditions of the English parliament, some weird and funny, and many of which are still in force, have fascinating histories.

Well if so I've learned something new. I'm obviously a novice politically! From what I'm searching on Google it doesn't exist but will look some more.

This implies England doesn't. You foolling with me?

Well if so I've learned something new. I'm obviously a novice politically!
It’s not surprising - only history anoraks will think about it, I guess. 🤣 It doesn’t help that the constitution of the UK is unwritten (not saying that’s a good or a bad thing!) and therefore all the historic developmental stuff about the English parliament, the Commons, the Lords, the Supreme Court, the High Court of Judiciary, the UK government, devolution, EVEL, and the monarchy, even, aren’t codified in any single, definitive document (or even set of documents!).

It’s no wonder school kids are taught more about the constitutional setup of the USA these days than the various nations of the UK; their system of government and representation is actually easier and more accessible than our ad hoc one!

Well if so I've learned something new. I'm obviously a novice politically! From what I'm searching on Google it doesn't exist but will look some more.

This implies England doesn't. You foolling with me?

This is referring to England gaining its own devolved parliament with limited competency (such as Scotland has) over the NHS, a block grant, etc. The headline is confusing but, if it were to be more accurate, it should say “Will England ever gets its own devolved parliament?”

The reasons it hasn’t are because the existing English parliament (which currently sits with members from outside England, who can’t vote on England-only issues decided by the Speaker) already administers those things, and because no serious calls have ever been made for England to have a devolved parliament (probably for just that reason).

ETA: the UK gov website quite openly celebrates the parliament as uniquely English in its development and customs. It traces it from the Middle Ages and references the impact of Henry VIII’s love life, all the way to 2015. As every school kid knows, the UK wasn’t even a glint in James VI’s eye when Henry VIII was murdering his wives, and yet the UK gov here openly acknowledges that the current parliament at Westminster is one and the same as that old monster’s uniquely English parliament (albeit members have since been expanded and given more power).

Last edited:
Well the day has arrived. This is election is so important and will determine the future of Scotland.

If the SNP win we will get IndyRef2; that will be a fierce battle as the English Government will resist us every inch of the way just as they did with all the other colonies of Empire. But we might just prevail.

If the SNP lose, then the independence movement will face insurmountable challenges in the years ahead; rejection of Section 30, no legal path to a referendum, increasing breakaway movements such as Alba and SGreens, resurgent Scottish Labour, changes to judicial review etc.

🤞

2nd vote will be Greens for me. Despite easily topping the list vote in Glasgow the SNP wont pick up any list seats because they will have won all 8 Constituency votes. Greens can push for an extra list seat.

Well the day has arrived. This is election is so important and will determine the future of Scotland.

If the SNP win we will get IndyRef2; that will be a fierce battle as the English Government will resist us every inch of the way just as they did with all the other colonies of Empire. But we might just prevail.

If the SNP lose, then the independence movement will face insurmountable challenges in the years ahead; rejection of Section 30, no legal path to a referendum, increasing breakaway movements such as Alba and SGreens, resurgent Scottish Labour, changes to judicial review etc.

🤞
I think you're in for disappointment because an SNP win doesn't come with a section 30 order.

Yes, that’s EVEL

2nd vote will be Greens for me. Despite easily topping the list vote in Glasgow the SNP wont pick up any list seats because they will have won all 8 NINE Constituency votes. Greens can push for an extra list seat.
FTFY.
+1

1620295027461.png

Now, before anyone goes off on one... no I haven't checked to see if it's actually 50 defeats although it wouldn't surprise me if it was - but it's pretty funny anyway.🤭

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom