Scottish Parliament Election 2021

TheAdmiralCS

This thread is for the discussion of the Scottish Parliament Election 2021.
Please be warned in advance, we don't tolerate divisive or inappropriate language so be mindful.
The discussion of Scottish Independence is here.

Hopefully with all the manufactured furore being deposited in the big blue bin where it belongs the SNP can get a majority in Hollyrood. I will be voting SNP 1 and Scottish Green 2. There are many folk saying max the SNP vote but the list SNP in my area is a disruptive clown, so the slayer of Piers Morgan, Ross Greer gets the nod.

Trajet

Standard Member
It's six weeks until the Scottish Parliament elections. On the 6th of May 2021 residents of Scotland get the chance to vote for their political party of choice and candidates that are not affiliated with any party.

The voting system for the parliament was designed so no one party would ever have overall control of the parliament and, by and large, this has been the case.

I am looking for a fair and supportive government, one that treats its residents with respect and recognises each one of us as individuals. I would like to see a tax system where folk that can afford to pay more tax do so in a fair and transparent way. I would like to see the outdated council tax / rates system reformed to one where the ability to pay is considered rather than the value of your home.

I believe that essential infrastructure like power lines, phone lines, railways (tracks as well as trains) should be in public hands.

I await with bated breath for the release of the parties manifestos.

CoolSharpHarp

Like the Tories getting voted out of office back in 1997, in my opinion it's time for a new Government. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen, but as it stands I'll likely give both votes to Labour.

RobGlasgow

Like the Tories getting voted out of office back in 1997, in my opinion it's time for a new Government. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen, but as it stands I'll likely give both votes to Labour.
Indeed change can be good. However, what do the Tories have to offer but their anti-independence stance? Look at their leaflets - the SNP get name checked more than the Tories and rarely mention any actual policies. This tactic did not work in 2019 and I don't see it happening in May.

Could Labour surprise us? Their manifesto may help but if they keep to the view of Anas Sarwar that he would oppose any referendum until 2026 at the earliest, that could put off potential switchers from the SNP as well as the pro-independence Labour voters.

The next six weeks should be interesting. :D

CoolSharpHarp

Indeed change can be good. However, what do the Tories have to offer but their anti-independence stance? Look at their leaflets - the SNP get name checked more than the Tories and rarely mention any actual policies. This tactic did not work in 2019 and I don't see it happening in May.

Could Labour surprise us? Their manifesto may help but if they keep to the view of Anas Sarwar that he would oppose any referendum until 2026 at the earliest, that could put off potential switchers from the SNP as well as the pro-independence Labour voters.

The next six weeks should be interesting. :D
The problem for Labour has been they're always sandwiched in the middle. If they come out as week on independence in their manifesto, they'll then lose labour voting no voters.

I think the Tories have tended to benefit from this with a solid stance, but I think Anas will put the Labour back into second place.

RobGlasgow

The problem for Labour has been they're always sandwiched in the middle. If they come out as week on independence in their manifesto, they'll then lose labour voting no voters.

I think the Tories have tended to benefit from this with a solid stance, but I think Anas will put the Labour back into second place.
The poll posted by Radiomike in the other thread would agree about Labour 2nd - but early days.

Yikes1412

Banned
I shall be voting SNP 1 and I really don't know who to vote for in my second vote, as I've seen so much conflicting advice on how to max out the pro independence MSP's

brunation

I shall be voting SNP 1 and I really don't know who to vote for in my second vote, as I've seen so much conflicting advice on how to max out the pro independence MSP's
Which region are you in?

Edit: Denny ...... Mid Scotland and Fife?

Last edited:

brunation

I stay in the Forth valley. Near Falkirk.
Cross-posted.

SNP:Green

2016 result: Mid Scotland and Fife

You can see the SNP has no List seats but 120128 votes.

A swing of 84890 from SNP to Green yields 3 extra seats from Tories(-2) and Labour(-1).

So slightly less than 3 in 4 SNP voters need to move to the Greens.

Trajet

Standard Member
Leaders' debate is to be broadcast on BBC 1 Scotland, BBC Scotland & BBC News channel on Tuesday the 30th of March at 19:50.

As the campaign begins, the leaders of Scotland’s five larger political parties debate the big issues ahead of May’s Holyrood election. Presented by Sarah Smith, with a virtual audience from across Scotland.

Available on the iPlayer soon after.

Tolq

Just got some leaflets through the door, and I'm not sure which is funnier... The weird local newspaper look, complete with "mum dressed me" photo-op or the botched copy/paste job. They must have spent their campaign bucks elsewhere :D

PXL_20210325_140635874.jpg

PXL_20210325_140643751~3.jpg

Tolq

Crappy leaflet but I quite like his impression of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec though... :p
I keep laughing at them both tbh. The first one seriously looked like a Secondary 1-3 school newspaper project, and the other one... Hopefully they don't leave the same person in charge of the IndyRef 2 ballot papers!

El Barto

Leaders' debate is to be broadcast on BBC 1 Scotland, BBC Scotland & BBC News channel on Tuesday the 30th of March at 19:50.

As the campaign begins, the leaders of Scotland’s five larger political parties debate the big issues ahead of May’s Holyrood election. Presented by Sarah Smith, with a virtual audience from across Scotland.

Available on the iPlayer soon after.
I await Lord Foulkes to write to the newspapers to moan it's not fair that the SNP get representation :rotfl:

RobGlasgow

Just got some leaflets through the door, and I'm not sure which is funnier... The weird local newspaper look, complete with "mum dressed me" photo-op or the botched copy/paste job. They must have spent their campaign bucks elsewhere :D

View attachment 1482355

View attachment 1482356
As a keen photographer I am appalled that someone looked at that picture and thought "that's the one". Maybe it is badly cropped and the full photo may tell the story, but someone needs their backside kicked for approving that. And the breathe in to hide the belly is never a good look. Not so bothered about the error with Q5, mistakes happen but that photo :eek:

thmsy

Standard Member
In 2016, the SNP received 111,101 votes in the Glasgow Region, but did not win any List seats. In fact they lost two List seats.

In the last election the Scottish Greens won one List seat with 23,398 second votes, while the Scottish Conservative won two List seats with just 29,533 second votes.

I hope that by giving my second vote to the Scottish Greens for the first time, they can achieve more second votes than the Scottish Conservatives and win more List seats.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett