Quantcast

Scottish Chief Medical Officer Caught Visiting Second Home During Lockdown

PC1975

Unless I'm mistaken this occured only yesterday - Sat 04/04/20.

MrFraggle

This came up on Scottish Sunday Politics and we are expecting to hear a grovelling apology on Scottish Politics between 14.00 and 14.30.
But is it not unexpected, another example of do as I say not as I do?

Last edited:

PC1975

The statement from the Scottish Government Spokesman absolutely smacks of double standards and comes across as practically condoning it. Not a hint of condemnation. Quite incredible.

Earlier a Scottish government spokesman said Dr Calderwood had been working seven days a week preparing Scotland's response to the Covid-19 crisis and she decided to check on the family home in Fife as she would not be back until after the lockdown.

"She stayed overnight before returning to Edinburgh," he added.

"In line with guidance she stayed within her own household group and observed appropriate social distancing with anyone she was in passing in the village."

PC1975

This came up on Scottish Sunday Politics and we are expecting to hear a grovelling apology on Scottish Politics between 14.00 and 14.30.
But is it not to be expected, another example of do as I say not as I do?
If she doesn't lose her position over this it will reflect terribly on Sturgeon. I don't see how they have any other choice than to remove her from post. Absolutely unacceptable. The Police should actually be getting involved.

MrFraggle

If she doesn't lose her position over this it will reflect terribly on Sturgeon. I don't see how they have any other choice than to remove her from post. Absolutely unacceptable. The Police should actually be getting involved.
Sturgeon will ride it out as she does any criticism in fact I have no doubt that she will say that Dr Calderwood has her full support blah blah blah. Or she may well blame Westminster she has not done that for a while. :)

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Is not the criticism here a little over the top? She went to check her second property, stayed the night and returned to Edinburgh. There might have been compelling reasons for the visit for all we know.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Is not the criticism here a little over the top? She went to check her second property, stayed the night and returned to Edinburgh. There might have been compelling reasons for the visit for all we know.
Wow, I've agreed with you on something.

Yes i agree, completely over the top response from the generals in the public again.

PC1975

I find it staggering that someone in her position would knowingly behave in such and incredibly ignorant, wreckless and dismissive manner. Not to mention breaking the new Coronaviris laws.

It's unfathomable that they're trying to explain it with the reasoning that she won't be able to check on her second home until after the lockdown. So the same as every other person in the country in the same position.

I realise that my use of language is quite extreme and I feel that in general we should be coming together and backing off from finger pointing at a time like this but this is really quite exceptional.

PC1975

That's inaccurate. She took her family and they went out walking. In lack of a compelling reason for her actions coming to light you have to proceed on the basis that there isn't one. Checking in on the home is the only one provided thus far.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
She has admitted she had no justifiable of legitimate reasons for why she went.

It's all highly embarassing really and doesn't set out a good example that the Chief Medical Officer goes out and does that.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That's inaccurate. She took her family and they went out walking
And observed full social distancing during their walk.

Checking in on the home is the only one provided thus far
And is a valid reason in my book.
You seem to be taking a holier than thou attitude here.

She's apologised and it's now been reported she's been spoken to by the police.

Purperen

She's been a bit naive really. She should have realised that with the current crisis, she is personally going to be of more interest to the press and that journalists or press photographers are going to be tracking her movements and waiting for her to slip up. She should have been a bit more strict with herself about personally following the lockdown guidelines to the T as somebody might be watching (and they were). Now that the Police have spoken to her, she will probably have to resign tomorrow. The attention that she has unintentionally brought on herself has become an unnecessary distraction to what is clearly a role that needs 100% focus at the moment.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
But is it not to be expected, another example of do as I say not as I do?
This.

I really don't have much of a problem (if she kept it sensible social isolation etc) with what she did. It’s just at a time when we’re all being told not to do it.

Hell i want to take myself out to the Peak District for a walk. On my own. What’s the problem with that.

Only, Derbyshire police will probably be out with road blocks or using drones again to spy on everyone:rolleyes:

One rule for us....

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
In a statement issued on Sunday she said:

"While there are reasons for what I did, they do not justify it and they were not legitimate reasons to be out of my home."

Public admission like that is normally curtains. Can't really see what she did as going down too well by everyone. After all she is the Chief Medical Officer giving out the advice to the public.

PC1975

And observed full social distancing during their walk.

And is a valid reason in my book.
You seem to be taking a holier than thou attitude here.

She's apologised and it's now been reported she's been spoken to by the police.
I accept that I'm taking a strong stance but in this circumstance I believe it is merited. And I disagree with you that it is a valid reason, otherwise everyone in the same sutuation could be travelling to villages and towns outwith their own. And then there's the fact that she took her family and they went out walking which is entirely needless if the purpose of the trip was purely to check on the home.

Sorry but I believe her position is untenable. You can't be in a position of power, instructing everyone to do one thing and then go against that advice yourself. I fail to see how that is acceptable in such serious circumstances where such behaviour if everyone else did it would unquestionably result in further spreading the virus.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I can see why people are saying "one rule for one..." but the reality is the lockdown is not, nor will ever be, equal across society. Many people do have second homes and people will choose the one that is best for a long duration lockdown. Some will swap between them during the lockdown - again, that really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I do feel for those stuck in some awful 1 bed flat or overcrowded homes, but envy of those with more options isn't going to make it better.

I also don't think this is the time for Scotland's Chief Medical Officer to go - she is needed in her job.

scrowe

MrFraggle

Shes apologised unreservedly, so thats okay then and Nichola Sturgeon has given her full support, what I find quite unbelievable is that she visited her second home twice?

PC1975

I can see why people are saying "one rule for one..." but the reality is the lockdown is not, nor will ever be, equal across society. Many people do have second homes and people will choose the one that is best for a long duration lockdown. Some will swap between them during the lockdown - again, that really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I do feel for those stuck in some awful 1 bed flat or overcrowded homes, but envy of those with more options isn't going to make it better.

I also don't think this is the time for Scotland's Chief Medical Officer to go - she is needed in her job.
The advice which has now been described as intructions is perfectly clear. No unnecessary travel to second homes. The Scottish Government were themselves condemning that very thing. And the acusation of envy is completely wide of the mark. It's about all following the instructions and doing our best to prevent unnevessary spread of the virus.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
what I find quite unbelievable is that she visited her second home twice?
Why though? The instructions are to stay home it doesn't specify which home or ask people to choose.

The Scottish government asked people to steer clear of the Highland and islands - given their limited resources- but Fife is central belt!

IronGiant

Engaging in what she admits was non-essential travel.

Latest News

Hisense U8QF TV heads UK 2020 range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung unveils Terrace weatherproof 4K QLED TV for outdoor viewing
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky HDR launch rumoured for 27th of May
  • By Andy Bassett