Scott Pilgrim vs. The World 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I need this.

I read the comics at exactly the age Scott is depicted as (and a little older by the time the 6th book came out) and was entirely in love with him.
Even though he's such a massive jerk (something the movie shies away from a bit).

The movie was just everything I wanted from an adaptation, right down to the inclusion of Plumtree on the soundtrack.

Am I gushing? I just love this movie.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Cheers Simon.
This is a favourite film of mine when I just want to sit there with a huge grin on my face for a couple of hours.

Brilliantly entertaining and suitably ridiculous comic book plot and over the top characters (all in a good way!)

The visuals are excellent, always have been, but the UHD really elevates things ...and the audio absolutely knocks your socks off!

The bonus features are great too, I could watch Edgar all day long. I don't think I've ever seen a director having so much fun.

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
I love Edgar Wright…….and I love video games…….and I love comic books……but I don’t like this. At all. No idea why. Maybe a nice, new, shinier, surroundier version will change that……o_O

Great review Simon.

Last edited:

dms

Obviously the review score is wrong as it should be a 11 ;-) but hey each to their own eh and frankly the movie score isn't something I look for in a review.

I have to admit this the firm favourite feel good comedy for the Mrs and I. There are many more worthy films, many more moving, many more intellectual, but at the end of the day I can't think of a film which is more fun, and it's certainly the most watched film in my collection. There is something wonderful about Scott's journey from selfish jerk to him getting a change (ok through a voice over) just at the end of the film. I prefer the alternate ending but to be honest the best ending would have been the third way (which they do flirt with in the film)!

Glad the sound track got 10. I've only seen the one scene I did for testing (involving a hammer) over and over, but it sounded amazing, the review saying "pummeled" is spot on, when the hammer hit the ground I almost hopped off the sofa. Over the top? Hell it's a comic book adaption.

I don't know the source material so I can't vouch for how good an adaption it is. Personally I think the very best comic book adaption I've ever seen is "Wicki und die Starker Männer" but as it's German and related to a 70's cartoon (so it's more moving from animation) it's going to a stretch for people to comment on.

The French Asterix Films were very mixed but Asterix and Cleopatra was absolutely wonderful until they started doing idiotic things unrelated to the source material at the end. I actually prefer the cgi Secret of the Magic Potion overall as being close to the spirit of the source.

pj

I'm a big edgar fan but when i saw this at the cinema (1 or 3 times iirc) i remenber thinking maybe i'll get it the next time, and figured it was just ahead of it's time and that in a few years it will click as it was so clearly ahead of it's time on it's original release, so i guess now is the time to see if my theory is correct :rotfl:

Last edited:

kosch

One of my favorite feel good movies, nice to see a UHD release.

SceneMissing

My memory is so hazy with this one, and forgive my nerdiness here, but are there any subtitled scenes in the film, and if so are they software generated on the UK disc? (I'm never fond of Universal regularly replacing original on screen subtitles with software ones for their international versions of discs).

dms

My memory is so hazy with this one, and forgive my nerdiness here, but are there any subtitled scenes in the film, and if so are they software generated on the UK disc? (I'm never fond of Universal regularly replacing original on screen subtitles with software ones for their international versions of discs).

There are "text boxes" in the film with comments, some witty, other functional. There are also words which appear as part of the action (the kapow comic style).

When playing the UK editions I have these are certainly not software generated and are part of the film image.

SceneMissing

There are "text boxes" in the film with comments, some witty, other functional. There are also words which appear as part of the action (the kapow comic style).

When playing the UK editions I have these are certainly not software generated and are part of the film image.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Is it just me, or did anyone else think that this was Shaggy from Scooby-Doo playing guitar on the thread's thumbnail?

dms

Watched the 4k again with the Mrs last night.... every time we watch it one of us just wants to see it again.

Her comment was that we could bin my film collection and just watch this eveytime.... I wouldn't go that far!

Also I'm not sure if it's the projector or receiver but after watching the film in hdr watching the alternate ending and going back to the main film the hdr was lost... which made it obvious even to the misses how much the hdr and improved contrast was important to the improved visuals.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom