Scotland staying in the EU?

If Northern Ireland is going to get its own settlement, effectively crating a border in the Irish Sea, I don't see why the same can't also be done for Scotland. In many ways an English-Scottish border could be quite useful to prevent English livestock being passed off as Scottish (which carries a premium price) and, if independence is likely in the future, starts to lay the physical groundwork for it.
Laughable. Not worth my time.

@Rasczak
So where would that border be?
The England/Scotland border is over one hundred miles long.
Also you make it sound like the border reivers could make a comeback :D

@Rasczak
So where would that border be? The England/Scotland border is over one hundred miles long.
I don't think a 100 mile long border would be a particularly great challenge. For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think it would need to be Fort Knox, merely something like this augmented with sensors and cameras:
border-fence-500x500.jpg

Think of all the jobs it would create in both southern Scotland and Northern England. And if it meant Scotland could stay aligned with the EU it would be worth spoiling the scenic views of the border.

Also you make it sound like the border reivers could make a comeback :D
Well, you never know :)

I don't think a 100 mile long border would be a particularly great challenge. For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think it would need to be Fort Knox, merely something like this augmented with sensors and cameras:

Think of all the jobs it would create in both southern Scotland and Northern England. And if it meant Scotland could stay aligned with the EU it would be worth spoiling the scenic views of the border.
The Scotland/England border wall seen in Doomsday might be better...;)

greg-staples-the-wall.jpg image-asset.jpeg

That one was to stop people getting out of Scotland.

Because many of us believe our interests are better served as an independent country looking after our own affairs based on our own priorities instead of having governments forced upon us who we never vote for
As others have said: isn't that exactly why many in the UK want to leave the EU?

Last edited:
As others have said: isn't that exactly why many in the UK want to leave the EU?

Yup , good luck on that mate as my own question on that front never had a response.

Does the UK in the EU have a specific set of areas equivalent to reserved matters in Scotland? i.e. where only Brussels and not Westminister has the authority? And where the UK does not have a veto?
Reserved and excepted matters - Wikipedia

And can Brussels remove the powers of Westminister at any time it likes? which Westminister can do to Holyrood.

So is the right graph.
Scotland will have less of a voice in the EU than the UK simply because it wouldn't have as much influence.

The graph has nothing to do with voice it's a representation of who sets the laws for my country under the 3 scenarios

Regardless of our size if we were independant we'd have more sway in the EU that we have in the UK when it comes to matters like we find ourselves at the moment, look at Ireland fully supported on the issue of Brexit by the EU where as Scotlands wishes and opinions totally ignored in the 'union of equals'

Frankly you are being juvenile.
Should a juvenile decide how a country is run?

You can't make any point without trolling, absolute clown

What are you, 12???? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Irony.

The graph has nothing to do with voice it's a representation of who sets the laws for my country under the 3 scenarios
And as I've already explained, it's wrong.

Most of the 153 areas where the EU has powers are returning to Scotland on day 1 of brexit. So the middle graph was wrong as I've pointed out three times now.

It is only a few of the 153 that Westminster will hold temporarily until a UK framework can be agreed.

Regardless of our size if we were independant we'd have more sway in the EU that we have in the UK when it comes to matters like we find ourselves at the moment, look at Ireland fully supported on the issue of Brexit by the EU where as Scotlands wishes and opinions totally ignored in the 'union of equals'
How do you have more sway in the EU?

The UK has around 8% of votes when it comes to QMV. Scotland will have less than 1%.

In the UK parliament you have around 10%.

And you might think it's trolling, but it's still true that Scotland is a full participant in the Westminster parliament where it is over-represented. And in a referendum only 5 years ago Scotland confirmed it was happy to continue doing so.

border-fence-500x500.jpg

Well, you never know :)
I'm not sure whether you are joking or being serious. That is not required to have a border in NI, why would you actually want something like that between Scotland and England?

Quick question is that what you and others had in mind when people say that a border is inevitable between ROI and NI?

Look up The Troubles in Northern Ireland.
It still goes on.

Then you don't understand it.

Then you don't understand it.
I don't understand your question at all. I was asking a genuine question about a visual regarding a border as one was put up depicting a fence and barbed wire. I was surprised about that as there is no need for such a fence, and exactly for the reason, you are highlighting I wouldn't and have never recommended such a border.

I was merely asking that when I or order speak it is inevitable to have a border whether that is what they visualise?

Because the Troubles are still there and no matter what happens, one side (or both) will use it as an excuse for violence.
Yet another pipe bomb was used to try and kill a police officer recently - several attempts have been made this year.

Because the Troubles are still there and no matter what happens, one side (or both) will use it as an excuse for violence.
Yet another pipe bomb was used to try and kill a police officer recently - several attempts have been made this year.
I'm a sorry dude but you are taking this very much the wrong direction, not that it is incorrect, but it is irrelevant to my very simple question. And most importantly not answering the question, and also taking it even further offtopic.

It is on topic as it would be a side effect of a border.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom