Scolmore retractive switches differences

RobTi

Hi I think I’m going to get it from you experts, but here goes, I was/am fitting shelly’s to my lighting and read the Shelly dimmer thread about using the retractive switches and never asked what the difference was between the 2 way and 3 way switches and assumed they were different inside and operational from normal 2 and 3 way switches so just ordered the 3 way that someone had said they used. Now thinking about it I think I may have got it wrong and the only difference is the L1 and L2 and they all operate the same way. Can anyone clear this up before I order more switches ?
Thanks

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Hi I think I’m going to get it from you experts, but here goes, I was/am fitting shelly’s to my lighting and read the Shelly dimmer thread about using the retractive switches and never asked what the difference was between the 2 way and 3 way switches and assumed they were different inside and operational from normal 2 and 3 way switches so just ordered the 3 way that someone had said they used. Now thinking about it I think I may have got it wrong and the only difference is the L1 and L2 and they all operate the same way. Can anyone clear this up before I order more switches ?
Thanks

The problem is that there is a couple of ways "2 way, 3 way" are used.

It can refer to how many physical switches are attached to the lighting circuit ie 2 way - Switch at bottom of stairs and switch on landing, 3 way - Switch at bottom of stairs, switch on landing and switch in hall

Also it can refer to the operation of the switch and that's where it gets confusing .

the retractive switches can be referred to as 2 way & centre off or 3 way, both mean top, bottom and centre

RobTi

So for the cost difference just keep fitting the 3 way retractive ones even on a simple switch with just the live/switched live & neutral serving one light. So the easiest way for a non expert to call these scolmore 3 way retractive switches would be 2 way and centre off

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Depends on your aesthetic and budget I wouldn’t want the extra cost or unused function on a simple toggle switch

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
to advise properly maybe we need to get a better understanding

Are the lighting circuits dimmable, then yes 2 way centre off. if just on/off circuits then simple toggle switch

RobTi

So will be used by dimmer 2 with just one lighting circuit for this particular question, it was the scolmore pdf on their site which shows the 2 way on a lighting circuit but seems to show the 3 way with a power supply coming in

RobTi

Lol so am I, I want to use a Shelly dimmer 2 on a lighting circuit which has only the live,switched live and neutral at the light switch, so one switch to one lamp, do I use a 2 or 3 way retractive switch, I’m only trying to find out what the difference in operation in the different switches ?
Thanks

RobTi

looks like same switch but 3 way has the centre off button so click up or down it returns to centre, and the 2 way looks like it returns with the top after pushed in. If I’m correct or then again not don’t know lol
3 way
2 way

spudnuts

@RobTi Did you ever work out the answer to this one?

I'm planning to do the exact same thing as you, and use the scolmores with a Shelly Dimmer 2. I'm looking for a centre off where I can push up to turn the lights up, and push down to turn them down.

From my research I'm thinking I need the 3 way? And like you said, the 2 way is off in the top position, and is just a simple toggle switch.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Better to think and call them 3 position as 2 and 3 way mean something different when talking about light switches and can lead to confusion

RobTi

As @Seb Briggs said 3 position switch centre off, I used the grid pro model and have up for top cabinet leds down for bottom cabinet leds and I can hold either up or down for both leds

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Better to think and call them 3 position as 2 and 3 way mean something different when talking about light switches and can lead to confusion
Absolutely, although in the case of the linked 2 way retractive switch it is actually being used correctly, the 2 way switches do have 3 terminals, using COM and L1 is push to make and using COM and L2 will operate as a push to break switch, Scolomore do make a very slightly cheaper 1 way version of the grid switch also.

To my mind a better description for the switches you want would be 2 way, centre off but 3 position works as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom