1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scintillating problem with JVC 28p37

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sambobo, Mar 7, 2005.

1. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, can someone please help me? my tv seems to be making certan dvds scintillate, i was watching the untouchables last night and some scenes had really bad scintillation and any time there was text on the screen it would woble all over the place. this happend on both my pioneer 575 (in progscan and interlaced!) and my ps2 through component, so i can only asume its to do with the tv.

it is not always noticable on all films however only on certain dvds. has anyone had a similar problem with the theit jvc tvs or do you think mine has a malfunction?

thanks

sam

2. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    can no-one help me? can someone just tell me if they have any problems with scintillation (flickering of horizontal lines) when watching dvds with the jvc 28p37 or any other jvc dist tv for that matter?

thanks

3. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    The flickering of horizontal lines is, I think, a mismatch between the TV and the sources.

The Pioneer 575 displays the flicker you talk about on PAL prog scan (and interlace) material with this TV. (I know, I own both pieces of kit). It is clearly not a TV problem, as I bought a replacement DVD, the Panny S97, and through PAL prog scan, the flicker is not evident. Nor did a Tosh SD340e. One way to minimise the flicker, though, with the Pioneer is to turn off SuperDigipure, and instead use the 'Fine' mode on the player.

Flicker on horizontal lines seems to be a feature of the DIST system, which if I understand it correctly, converts any incoming signal to 75HZ Prog Scan. The deinterlacing must, however, be of fairly average quality. This explains why your Sony suffers from this (although this may be inherent to the way the PS2 displays graphics - horizontal flicker is noticeable on other TVs, in my experience)

The quality of DIST deinterlacing also explains why a DVD player with good built-in deinterlacing (eg Panny S97) does not replicate the problem. If you need convincing, have a look at NTSC prog scan through the Pio with Digipure at Off or Min. You will not notice any of the horizontal flicker evident with PAL prog scan. This is because the Pioneer 575 is better at NTSC prog scan.

Hope this helps

4. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks Barzo. i tried changing my player to ntsc mode and then played back the smae dvd (which is pal) but got exactly the same problem. i find it hard to belive both my players (575 and ps2) would both have this problem with them.

any ideas? i have noticed less scintillation with ntsc discs, but from what you said making my player output in ntsc with a pal disc should of fixed the problem.

thanks

5. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Forcing the player to output a PAL signal in NTSC will add scintillation/jaggies. This is because of the conversion of one format to another. Only pure NTSC discs should show the difference. Have you tried the Digipure off option?

6. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah, there is barely an noticable difference between off and min with digipure. i can try some other ntsc discs to see if i can find any scintillation problems with them.

thanks

7. I.T.M.A

I.T.M.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my HV32P37 for a couple of days. Before that I had an old Tosh 28" 4:3 50Hz TV. The JVC is certainly sharper at normal viewing distance but it does show artifacting if viewed up close.

Back to my point. My old Toshiba started to show a sort of shimmer (oasis) effect about 4 years ago. It took a while but I eventually discovered that when my central heating was on the picture appeared to deteriorate. For some reason the TV was susceptible to the interferance generated by the central heating. It's only a perhaps & I'm probably way off key but maybe your TV is reacting to some outside influence that co-insides with your NTSC viewing such as a fridge, a neighbour using their electricity, or even traffic.

I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and Good luck.

8. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks I.T.M.A, but i doubt intereference would cause scintillation, although i do also have problems with moire lines on the screen sometimes, so they could possably be to do with some interference.

My main concern is that the dist technology is malfunctioning, as when watching normal tv, if theres is ever a frozen frame (like at the end of adverts) it becomes interlaced and is shown at half resolution (th same happens when i pause a dvd) is this normal with jvc dist tvs???

thanks

9. I.T.M.A

I.T.M.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not with mine I'm afraid.

10. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I.T.M.A, when you press the blue button and select 12 picture mode, do the small images apear pic#xilated or ar the nice and smooth? also could you please watch a few pal dvds and tell me if you notice and harsh lines, scintillation, or flickering of any kind. this would be a big help to me so i can decide to get a replacment or not.

thanks

Sam

11. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    can no one help me and tell me if they have any of the problems i have described with there jvc dist sets?

thanks

sam