Sci-Fi TV fans, talk to me!

Hillskill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the years I have been all about the Dramas. The regulars here would no doubt have groaned every time I waded into a thread waxing lyrical about the same dramas, The Wire, The Sopranos, The Shield........anything that starts with "the" basically :D
My wife and I recently broke the "gritty" drama cycle and started watching Fringe and have been blown away. Its brilliant and of course so different to what we have been used to. We have enjoyed every minute so far (currently just started season 3)! In the past we have watched Sci-Fi shows but the production values have never matched the ambition, hence why I think we turned our backs on them. Having enjoyed Fringe so much we are now in the hunt for more Sci Fi shows that manage to "pull it off" where so many others have failed. Am I being an HBO snob or are there other Sci Fi shows out there that we could enjoy?

- Battlestar Galatica (Edward James Olmos)
- Firefly
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Doctor Who
- Lost
- Game of Thrones (classed as sci-fi fantasy?)

Personally I would class GOT as drama, certainly in the first season atleast. And yes I have watched it. Also seen Lost and BSG but the others I will check out.
For some reason I could never bring myself to watch Dr Who. Mostly because there was a Sylvester McCoy episode back in the day that scared the **** out of me but also, is there really a long running story going on?

How about The X Files?

I don't have SKY now so don't know if it ever shown on re runs but if you can try and spot the first series of The Burning Zone with Geoffrey Dean Morgan in it(he left after 11 episodes and then it was flaming pants(lol unintentional pun there)).

http://epguides.com/BurningZone/guide.shtml

Id say somewhere between Supernatural and Fringe also the former of them Id recommend.

Stargate good first series it was finding its feet but as the seasons went on got better and better although I missed the latter one as SKY obtained the sole rights to screen them (thank you SKY I hope you meet :devil: one day :laugh:).

Last edited:
Rasczak said:
How about The X Files?

I was going to say x-files, it's an awesome show. V is also enjoyable as is stargate Atlantis.

Not so much sci-fi but if you like fringe you might like Supernatural. :)

I like sci-fi films, but as someone who mostly watches drama series I find the characterisation in almost all sci-fi TV lacking. When I commit myself to some a longform show I need to find the characters interesting. Even in more quality genre shows like BG and The Walking Dead, the characters are more schematic than those in a Breaking Bad or Mad Men. The exceptions to that are True Blood, Game of Thrones and most shows by Joss Whedon

Last edited:
How about The X Files?

I watched quite a bit back in the day. Infact I would say its the last Sci Fi show I watched properly until Fringe. Was hoping there were more that I may have missed inbetween the two show.

I like sci-fi films, but as someone who mostly watches drama series I find the characterisation in almost all sci-fi TV lacking. When I commit myself to some a longform show I need to find the characters interesting. Even in more quality genre shows like BG and The Walking Dead, the characters are more shcematic than those in a Breaking Bad or Mad Men. The exceptions to that are True Blood, Game of Thrones and most shows by Joss Whedon

I agree. Fringe has been the first Sci Fi series in a long while that I have totally clicked with the characters and storyline without being irritated by poor FX and direction.

Supernatural is now on my list of shows to watch. I have in the past noted others moan that its a bit "monster of the week"! Is that unfair? Is there a deeper underlying story?

Supernatural is now on my list of shows to watch. I have in the past noted others moan that its a bit "monster of the week"! Is that unfair? Is there a deeper underlying story?

Very little in the first series but as they went on there was more and more which probably were the best in the series what I saw.

I watched quite a bit back in the day. Infact I would say its the last Sci Fi show I watched properly until Fringe. Was hoping there were more that I may have missed inbetween the two show.

I agree. Fringe has been the first Sci Fi series in a long while that I have totally clicked with the characters and storyline without being irritated by poor FX and direction.

Yes there is a huge arch in Supernatural, and really enjoy watching it, now and then they like to try something different with an episode, some times it doesn't work. The fact it's now in its 7th season must mean something.

Other shows that i enjoyed, both were cancelled

- Jericho
- Invasion
- Kings

and mentioned above shows by Joss Whedon; Buffy, Angel.

We have it here actually! Will have to give it a whirl. Its one where there always seems something more important to watch.

Halfway season 3 of Fringe now. Sneaking in a couple of episodes while our son has a nap. So good!

As mentioned Firefly and Serenity are worth watching. Dr. Who from Christopher Eccleston onwards are really good with some great episodes.

Farscape was very enjoyable and Babylon 5 is one of the best Sci-fi series ever imo.The Dune mini series is worth a look to.

Got better!? Was it cancelled?

I mean the episodes got better with the arch plots more so in season 2. Yes the show was cancelled but it was still worth a watch as most plots were wrapped up.

Don't think you can go wrong with;

Farscape
Deep Space 9 - by far the best Star Trek IMHO (well from the end of the 2nd season onwards, In The Pale Moonlight has got to be the best episode of Trek ever)
Babylon 5
Firefly
Stargate Universe
X-Files

If I'm honest I thought Dollhouse was garbage bar a few episodes which were ok.

Not sure how many can really be counted as pure sci-fi, but all are really enjoyable.

Chuck
The Lost Room
Life On Mars
Dead Like Me
The 4400
Eureka
Invasion
Roswell
Taken
Tru Calling
Warehouse 13

Heroes (drama, excellent production values but the storylines sometimes failed to live up to potential)

Misfits (comedy drama)

No Heroics (comedy)

All three are from the super-powered up humans branch of sci-fi.

Heroes (drama, excellent production values but the storylines sometimes failed to live up to potential)
I thought it had an excellent first season but was utter cack from Season 2 onwards
- and I watched Heroes right until the end, when it really felt quite unwatchable and cringeworthy, in the futile hope it would improve

Taken very good mini series.
Also loving Fringe :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom