1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sci-fi Sequels

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Nov 8, 2003.

?
  1. A good thing?

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. A bad thing?

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Watching the Matrix 2 & 3 this week has made me reflect on sequels in general - how many times have we seen a great and unique sci-fi film undermined by poor/average/cash-in sequels...

Alien
    Planet of the Apes
    Star Wars
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future
    Robocop
    Predator
    Terminator
    Batman
    Highlander
    Men In Black

etc

It is soooooo very rare that a sequel ever matches or enhances the original -

The Two Towers
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Aliens
    T2 (maybe)

It seems paradoxical as I seem to always get excited about sequels to my favourite films, and yet always get let down! So many times I have really looked forward to a sequel, and nearly every time I have been disappointed... You'd think I would learn my lesson, but still I keep coming back for more! :D

So, are sequels a good thing or a bad thing? I can't help feeling that Alien was greatly enhanced by the addition of Aliens, but then completely undermined by Alien3. Same with Star Wars. And what about the Matrix? I really loved the first film, but now I see it differently after two disappointing sequels, and I kind of wish they had just left it alone after one film.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there's certainately an element of subjectiveness to it.

I don't like the first matrix film, but love the sequels.

But generally, I'm not going to disagree with you, most sequels don't surpass the original.

But by the same token, some are just as good but for different reasons. Evil Dead 2 and 3 are arguably as good as the first one, but not for the same reasons the first one was so great (well actually it's because they're hilarious).

There are many sequels which add little to the originals. Alien 3 and Resurrection. The Hallowe'en movies (how many have they made now?), oh, and the Friday The 13th franchise.

Btw, I wouldn't regard The Empire Strikes Back and The Two Towers as sequels :D.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I feel much the same way about most of ben dovers films. He only ever seems to have pascal in them.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, I guess you are definitely right about The Two Towers, but in some ways Empire is a sequel in as much as A New Hope was made as a complete film in it's own right with only the distant idea of a possible sequel...

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Only because it was you who was doing the bending over! :zonked:

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats why i'm bored of pascal:rolleyes:

7. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two towers wasnt as good as the fellowship and T2 was the best outta the terminator trilogy (IMO).. so i spose it depends on peoples personal tastes. i think its a shame about revolutions.. sure the ending could have been better but i notice that the people that loved it were the ones who didnt "compare" it to the first one and other films. people that wanted revolutions to be like the first just hated it

ROTK is something im looking forward to now.

8. CrackDown

CrackDown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Maybe?! Definatley don't you mean?

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    the thing is i think "the brothers" had the idea that they wanted to do a trilogy of the matrix from the beginning.

Thinking about it, i don't see how they could of expanded on "the matrix" and make it any good.

But given that i think if you'd have asked me in 2000 whether i wanted to see sequels to "the matrix" i would have said yes.

It's a tough balance to judge right, and too often the big green $ wins out.

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empire Strikes Back is one of the best ever sequels made and much better than Star Wars, Predator 2 was a good sequel, Batman Returns was better than Batman.

What i liked about something like Predator 2 is that they didnt just use the same actor from the first one, (( alien producers please take note )) and they expanded the story and didnt just use the same setting of a jungle.

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way I see it, if you feel a sequel adds little to the original then it's your perogative to ignore it and appreciate the first film independently.

Ghostbusters 2 was awful, but it doesn't deter from my love of the original film, and certainately doesn't prevent me from appreciating it's merit.

12. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    what about crappy remakes,

I found remake of Planet of the Apes an absolute farce.

That sure was one DVD I wish I had never bought.

Sequels are OK, Prequels are innocent.

Some movies could perhaps benefit from being broken up a bit.
    The mythical thr version of Dune, perhaps we would all understand that one a bit better if it were originally conceived as a seriies of movies.

To that end are movies, movie houses etc putting too much emphasis on creating/promoting a brand rather than focusing upon entertainment.

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obiwan - good point.

There's certain films you see and you wish there were sequels or trilogies around, just so you can make sense of the densely packed plot.

Most film distributors are going to place emphasis on the concept and idea of sequels rather than focussing on making them entertaining.

IMHO this is usually because Sequels are made as an opportunity to cash in further still on the success of an original - yet as the thread already addresses, there are exceptions to the rule :).

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

The two best things about a sequel, is having a story continue from where it left off, which furthers the characters and feeds part of your desire to see what happened next, e.g. "Terminator 2", "The Godfather: Part 2", "Aliens", "Toy Story 2", "The Empire Strikes Back", etc, etc.

The worst things about sequels, are that more-often-than-not, they are churned out quickly, with scant regard for the originals! :mad: e.g. "2 fast 2 furious", "X Men 2", "The Matrix 2" (can't remember what the R bit was called), etc, etc.

However, I wouldn't want to not see a sequel, as there have been some great ones, which, on-the-whole, make-up for all the sh**e ones that were given the green light.

Just out of curiosity: do any of you have any films that you would NEVER want a sequel to be made, simply because the original was perfect already, regardless of who wrote, starred in and/or directed the sequel? (I'm talking about movies, not films that were given spin-off TV shows or novel sequels, e.g. "Stargate", "Blade Runner", et al.)

Pooch

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i'm very glad they didnt make a sequel to E.T. or Blade Runner or indeed Friday the 13th ohhhh wait

:suicide:

I would have liked a sequel to Starship Troopers
    Wish they had stopped at Hellraiser 2 and not made those other pointless sequels.

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah Blade Runner is the one! There was talk of a sequel, but that would just be awful!

17. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Personally I'm glad they haven't made a sequel to SpaceBalls. That's my favourite movie but doing another spoof on Star Wars would undervalue it completely.

When a sequal is planned with the original you tend to get the feeling the first movie doesn't stand-alone enough (Kill Bill anyone?), unless it's such a big story that's already been written (LOTR).

I'm all for sequels as I love getting imerresed into a story. I want, sometimes need, to know what happens next.

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Escape from New York ( humourous , exciting, interesting)
    Escape from L.A (painful, sad, boring)

19. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I read the above I thought of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.....and True Romance. I think these are great movies in themselves and could easily have lent any subplot to perhaps an equally inspiring sequel movie, but I like them just the way they are. Perhaps with the Kill Bill movies QT will excorise his sequel demons here, cant comment as I havnt seen it, but I expect sompn above average.

One particular movie I wouldnt mind seeing a sequel on is Lost Highway or maybe anything by Lynch simply to be able to figure out whats going on. hehehe

20. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But Kill Bill was always intended as 1 big long film, its the studio Miramax which decided theres more money to be made by splitting the film and thus having a so called sequel.

21. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    According to Daryl Hannah, they are planning to make a
    3rd Kill Bill film and she has signed up to take part.
    Apparently, QT always envisaged it as being a trilogy!
    Yeah, right!:D

22. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think T2 is better, at least on a technical level (better SFX). Though I do rate Terminator highly, too.
    As well I found X2 better than X-Men, but I was disappointed by Matrix 2 & 3, Matrix being one of my favorite movies.
    And I love Highlander, probably the film I have seen the most (though not really Sci-Fi but rather Fantasy, isn't it?).
    Don't bother to ask me about the sequels though.
    Batman 2 is quite watchable but that's where it ends, most other examples named were worst than the original ....

My 2 NT$ ...

23. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I also have some views on this and think some sequels are better than the origional, T2, Aliens

Some are good sequels but nessessarilybetter than the origional, Back to the future, Star Wars, Predator

Some were pants