Schools not re-opening before March

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I'm still somewhat confused as to the timings of all this.. If he announces today that all schools will re-open on the 8th March, well that's not enough time for the vulnerable teachers to have had the vaccine and get the full 2/3 weeks effects of it before the Children start flooding through the door?

or have I missed something here?
I think the deadline for that vulnerable group was 15th Feb, so they should be fine.

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member

Storm a'brewing here. Anecdotally, and first hand - lots of teachers managed to get their jab over the last few days - lots were turned away.

If Boris is expecting schools to fully re-open to all children any time soon he needs to address this.

There are several storms brewing on the vaccine front. Not least that they've not used the half term break to vaccinate teachers plus support staff and given enough time for 2-3 weeks needed for the immune response to produce the antibodies and T- Cells. No steps appear to have been taken to improve ventilation in schools either.

I think the deadline for that vulnerable group was 15th Feb, so they should be fine.

That's for first doses, some in groups 1-9 have received a second dose but there is still a long to go to complete groups 1-9. I found it highly convenient that millions of asthmatics were punted out of groups 1-9 entirely as it means hitting vaccine targets is much easier. That's another scandal brewing, Asthmatics might be at reduced risk of dying but there is still a risk of lung damage in lungs that are already compromised and there is some evidence that suggests asthmatics are at a higher risk of long COVID than most i.e. costs of treating Asthma could well shoot up. Especially if Employers decide that Asthmatics not in groups 1-9 are not at risk and thus can go back to work.

There has been no news from the Government if Asthmatics will get priority in the next wave of vaccinations after groups 1-9 or if they are going to have to wait to be vaccinated behind healthy people.

I'm in group 6 under mental health grounds, otherwise I'd be in the same boat as my fellow asthmatics. The rules for which asthmatics qualify for Group 4 and 6 are quite iffy. If you've ever had a hospital admission then you get a vaccine in groups 4 or 6. If you've been to A&E but not been admitted to a ward then you don't get a vaccine in groups 4 or 6. Then we have have those with learning disabilities not being vaccinated as they should be, which is a whole other scandal in itself.

iamsludge

There’s plenty of group 6 vulnerable people that haven’t had an initial jab as of yet, people with heart conditions for example, so plenty of teachers will be in that situation.

I didn’t think that teachers should get earlier vaccines on account of their job, but given that the government has asked them to do a healthcare job (testing all the pupils) then my opinion on that has changed somewhat.

These factors mean I still think it’s too early for kids to go back to school, but at least the vaccine rollout is ahead of where I expected and the numbers have also gone down more than I expected. (trying to stay positive).

Miss Mandy

There’s plenty of group 6 vulnerable people that haven’t had an initial jab as of yet, people with heart conditions for example, so plenty of teachers will be in that situation.

I didn’t think that teachers should get earlier vaccines on account of their job, but given that the government has asked them to do a healthcare job (testing all the pupils) then my opinion on that has changed somewhat.

These factors mean I still think it’s too early for kids to go back to school, but at least the vaccine rollout is ahead of where I expected and the numbers have also gone down more than I expected. (trying to stay positive).

The teachers aren't having anything to do with the testing, that's all been foisted onto the support staff. We've been doing it for 4 or 5 weeks now testing 40-50 students twice a week and whichever 15 staff are on the rota each day.
We're in teams of 4 also on a rota basis. My team is one of the most 'at risk' as two of my colleagues are over 60 and have pre-existing conditions. Hopefully they'll get their vaccinations soon though. I'm least at risk as I'm only 40 and my asthma is not classed in group 1-9 for vaccines by the government. My predicted date for the vaccination is between May and July.
When the students go back we've got to test 1250 students and 150 staff twice a week between the 4 teams we have. Our head teacher has decided to stagger the students return to enable that to happen. Each team can test 10-15 people per hour then there's the 30 minute waiting period. We think that means it'll take the full 5 week days to get through the school population which obviously presents an issue as we're supposed to be testing everyone twice a week. Our options are to either pull more support staff off their normal roles to do testing which obviously then presents the issue of their jobs nor getting done, or we send tests home for students to do themselves.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom