Quantcast

Question Schoolboy error! (I think)

boon147

Morning all,

Hope you are all well.

Cut a long story short, I have just finished renovating the ‘mrs friendly man cave’ and it was took back to brick so everything is brand new.

As such, I ran more cables that I needed:

4 x CAT6 from TV AV unit to Projector
4 x CAT6 from TV AV to Other Rooms
6 x CAT6 from TV AV to Chimney Breast AV Cabinet

+ loads of Coax, 12 CAT5e running to a patch panel etc etc

The room will act as the central AV distribution point and where all my main gear will be located.

Onto the problem, I think I was a little hasty with the CAT6 but I used good quality solid core cable (one saving grace). I’ll soon be upgrading to 4K with a new projector, TV and AMP (along with a one x).

I now realise that I should have ran some HDMI too to avoid the fact that CAT6 is unable to support the full bandwidth for 4K HDR, and this was down to my haste reading online forums, as well as my ignorance around cables.

I know they are solutions out there, but with all the marketing rubbish it’s difficuly to split the crap from the good, and also keep it within a reasonable budget. I appreciate technology will improve and prices will fall, so I’m not necessarily looking for a 4K HDR solution now, maybe just 4K,...or if it’s really cheap, settle for a 1080p solution for now.

I’m currently scratching my head trying to work out how I can add in a couple of HDMI cables without too much disruption to the new room, but would like to hear your thoughts on possible solutions for extenders?

End goal is to effectively have one signal out of my AMP, which then heads into a splitter that is distributed to 4 devices (main TV, projector, and 2 other rooms) and ideally do it along the CAT6 I have already laid.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,

Paul

boon147

For the main room (which is the initial concern) I’d say a max of 10m using HDMI. The AV gear sits below a window along with the TV, and the PJ at the back of the room so it’d be simple if the TV / AV was on a wall too, as I’d just pull the floorboards in the above room and then run it in the floor and down the wall, but with a window there means I gotta work out a way round it so that’s why I say 10m which is similar to the existing CAT6. If it was a straight run, it’d be more like 7 I think.

As for using the existing CAT6, it runs 11m max for the projector (because it has to navigate bends and chimney breasts etc) and the other room I’m not sure the lentgth as we’re renovating room by room, hence the additional rooms are not urgent. But the 2 rooms don’t require 4K, 1080p is fine. Just the local room that needs 4K.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
1080p at 10m - you may get away with a Standard HDMI cable.

2160p at 10m - ideally you will be wanting a Hybrid Fibre, Fibre or 'Over CAT' solution, note the 'over CAT' solutions use image compression with higher bandwidth UHD signals.

Centralised Source - your Source can only Output 2160p or 1080p at any one time so where it is feeing 2160p to the local Display you will require some form of 'down-converter' if you simultaneously require 1080p in another Zone(s).

Centralised Source - audio can be another trip up if you have differing audio playback capabilities in your various Zones and want simultaneous playback.

Joe

boon147

Thanks for the extensive reply. Image compression doesn’t concern as long as it’s visually lossless, but that we shall see.

As for showing 2160p and 1080p at the same time, won’t ever be an issue, it will only ever be used on one device, and if on an extremely rare occasion I need to, I’m happy for them to all display in 1080p.

So an ‘over CAT’ solution is an option for 4K? That’s good news, means my initial wiring isn’t going to waste.

As the cable is already there, then this is the more likely route I’ll take. As for bandwidth, I thought it could be split across a pair of cables, to enable uncompressed video? Or did I mis-understand? As for the compression, doesn’t concern me too much as long as there is little to no visual difference.

I’m not going for a professional setup, just a humble little 4K setup.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'over CAT' solutions - in the early days utilised two CAT cables, then HDBT cable along and put everything down a single CAT cable.

The latest 'Gen2' HDBT caters for UHD (2160p) utilising 'visually lossless' compression.

Differing Video capabilities - can be an issue even if you are only viewing on one Display as the 'in standby' Sink (which could be your 1080p Display) can still force the Source to Output in 1080p depending on how your 'system' handles EDID and HDCP from multiple Sink devices.

Differing audio capabilities - as above plus when you are viewing simultaneously (at 1080p) all Zones will receive a Stereo signal from the Source unless your secondary Zones can cater for the same multichannel formats as the main Zone, adding budget Soundbars with HD/Immersive audio capabilities in the secondary Zones can help here.

Centralised or shared sources - has become less popular with the rise of SMART TV's and low cost Streaming devices as it can look expensive to 'share' a Source and you can end up imposing limitations in the primary Zones just to include the Secondary Zones in the distributed system.

Joe

boon147

Thanks for the very extensive reply.

I took a punt yesterday and ordered a 1080P ‘over cat’ solution but unfortunately was DOA so got another one coming tomorrow.

It’s a bog standard model with a loop through so I can at least get my TV and Projector working without having to mess about with cables.

The upgrade path that I’m going to take will involve my projector first, and will be a 4K unit. My current amp passes 4K through but that’ll be the next upgrade. I think something along the lines of the Sony STRDN1080 as it has 2 HDMI outs, and after doing some research I think it will allow me to run 4K on the main socket (to TV and Projector via a suitable 4K splitter / cat solution) and then 1080P to the secondary devices (again using a suitable splitter) but the AMP is 7.1 so I can utilise the 2 x surround back channels for multi zone too.

I will rarely, if at all, use all the devices at the same time,...my main concern is to get 4K to my projector so that’s what I’m going to work on first.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
AVR - you need to download the User Manual and note the limitations re the Zone 2 Out (much the same as the majority of AVR). Your HDMI Source audio will not play through the Zone 2 Speaker or Audio line outputs.

AVR - will Output the same signal on the A and B HDMI Output, you will need to add in a down converter to the HDMI B Output if you need it to be seeing a 1080p signal to your Display.

Joe