School Hall

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andypacey, Apr 26, 2007.

1. andypacey

andypacey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am the IT Manager in a school, and would like to setup a 'cinema' in our school Hall.

I am clued up with computers/projectors/screens etc, and have that part of the setup sorted. However, what I am a bit confused by is the sound element of it all.

Our school hall is around 15m long, by 8m wide, and is two storeys tall - approx 6 - 7m I would guess. At the back of the hall is a balcony, to which underneath, a long throw projector will be installed. At the front is a stage, to which a screen will be fitted.

What sort of system should I be looking at? There will only be two sources (PC and DVD). I don't require this to be audiophile quality, but I do want it to sound respectable. Really not sure where to start looking in choosing a DVD Player, AV receiver and speakers. Require 5.1 minimum.

Any advice would be greatfully received!

Andy.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    being honest for a room that size, your best bet is to use proper cinema equipment.....home cinema kit will struggle to fill the room with sound decently.....although you might find using a few SVS subwoofers will do the trick for the bass......but i reckon you'll need to use industrial JBL speakers or similar for the conventional speakers.....

you could probably use a home cinema AV amp or processor for the decoding/switching work.....but if you go industrial on the speakers, then use some club style power amps.....

your best bet really is to contact an installer of this kind of equipment....

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
  4. AVdavid

AVdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of budget are you looking at? Maybe a 150watt AV receiver and high efficiency speakers would do the job, if it is tight

Dave

5. andypacey

andypacey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated!

The budget is quite tight to be honest. I wasn't wanting to spend anymore than around £1000 - £1500 in total on the sound side of things.....I really don't need it to be cinema quality. The media studies teacher would like to show a DVD in there every now and then (lets say once a fortnight), and I just want it to sound 'good'. As I said earlier, I am no audiophile.....I bought a 'home cinema system' from ALDI last year, which cost £39.99 - and to me that sounds 'good'. And whilst I recognise anyone fluent in sound would probably confine this kind of kit to the bin.....I wouldn't! :rolleyes:

In my car, I have a Kenwood stereo, with iPOD attached, JBL GTO 6x9"s in the rear shelf, and a FLI 12" active sub in the boot - and to me that sounds fantastic!

Just to give you a feel of the level of equipment that would impress me.

It will be pupils (aged 11 - 18) that will be watching films in the room, so absolutely amazing sound reproduction is not required.

Andy.

6. AVdavid

AVdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be thinking along the lines of a Denon AVR-1906 £300 which has 7 channels and the Wharfadale Diamond 9 HCP package for £500 maybe get an extra set of rears to give 7 speakers arranged around the hall should give adequate sound levels not gut busting but good enough for everyone to get a good sound experience

Dave