Schindlers List R1 Review

Pooon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just landed on my doorstep yesterday. Nice box it comes in, and good liitle booklet, but why oh why is it only only 1 disc, a bloody 'Flipper' they used to call them, i thought they had stopped making them as so many people complained, is the R2 release going to be the same?

ShindlersListR1.jpg

Richard Hardbattle reviews the R1 DVD release of Schindler's List.

Read the review Here

I normally nod my head in agreement at most comments made in reviews (and the scores), but here but I have to disagree with the overall film rating. 5/10?

I think you've actually missed the point of the film.

indeed, it would be very difficult to make a bad film with such an emotive and amazing story

Actually I think it's a testament to the skill of the director that this isn't a bad film. How do you approach material like this? No audiences had seen anything like Schindler's List when it was released, it was a bold move to make it in black and white, and even bolder to show things in such an unflinching way.

I can think of lots of directors who would have made a mess of this imho...

The famous girl in red sequence simply doesn’t work - It pulls you out of the film, making the moment both unnecessary and intrusive

I think this is where you've really missed it. This scene was one of the most poignant moments I've ever experienced in a film: we're witnessing the mass evacuation of the ghetto, the scenes are chaotic and filled with lots of people, lots of soliders, and casual, wanton killings. In the midst of this chaos - it's a "macro" scene after all - our eyes are drawn to this small splash of colour, to a single, wandering child and it's the focus on the micro, the insignificant, the little girl who's alone - which reinforces the idea that everyone is an individual, that individual lives are being torn apart in the maelstrom and that everything matters.

I think my dissection of that scene is probably rather poor (there's also I think some statement about childhood innocence surrounded by atrocity) and maybe I've missed the mark myself in some regards, but I would never call that scene unnecessary. I do, however, think it is intrusive, but that is the intention: you're not meant to be watching closely the line of Jews being executed against the wall, you're supposed to be focusing on the little girl, but aware of the things going on around her. And when we see the red coat later on in the film, it's almost with a sinking heart...

As for the sentimentality issue, I also don't agree - I can see why people do think it was slightly over sentimental, but you should put aside your cynicism and see the power of those last scenes, along with the statement on modern day materialism (and how true is that, when Schindler's talking about how many lives were in his gold ring...and ultimately, the gold ring means nothing). This sequence has me balling every damn time:D

I commend you for saying exactly what you think (and not what people expect you to think), but I don't agree. And after all, wouldn't it be a boring place if we all held the same opinions? :)

I have to agree with Matt on this one, but Richard has said exactly what he thinks and that is brave in itself. I consider Schindler's an uncomfortable film for the very reason that the director has captured what appears to be reality on the screen. The documentary feel is chilling in my opinion and it's certainly not a movie I want to watch that often. If I remember correctly Speilberg nearly suffered (or did suffer) a great deal of mental anquish and a near break down because he felt so strongly over the sorce material. I consider it a master peice of modern cinema and a 10 in my books.
But well done Richard for giving us your honest opinion.

We will have the R2 review around the 19th of March for you all. I think I'll let Matt review that one ;)

I'm waiting for the R2 before I get mine just to see if it's on 2 disks. I'm not going to buy a flipper.

The r4 is split over 2 disks.

Adrenochrome.

Edited for clanger:blush:

Originally posted by adrenochrome
The r2 is also a flipper and the r4 is split over 2 disks

Adrenochrome.

Where did you get that info from? I have just been onto the PR company to hurry them up with the review disc and there is no mention that it's a flipper. Will let you know when the PR disc lands next week though.

I'm watching it now.
It's my favourite film of all time after Star Wars and Dances With Wolves.
I rate my favourite films wholely on emotional impact.
None of them are perfect. Star Wars has a diabolical script. And Liam Neeson wasn't convincing right at the end. But those things aren't important.

Star Wars moved me totally when I was 11. Excitement beyond belief.
Dances With Wolves is such a beautiful movie. The images, the music, the story. These wonderful people, the native people of Dakota, and the brutal way their way of life was sweapt away from them. Fantastic movie.

Then Schinder's List. The pure evil of the Natzis and the flippant way they discarded Jewish lives. The heroic spirit of the Jews, determined to survive despite the Nazis worst efforts.
The black and white imagery and John Williams' awesome score.
And then the ending. Seeing the actual people who survived this reminds you with a punch in the heart that this actually happened.
How can such a horrific, brutal, saddest of all sad movies be one of my favourites? Because unlike the Armageddons and the Face Offs and other such Hollywood movies, Schindler's list means something. It's a lesson which should be compulsive viewing for everyone. So we know what war is like and so we won't forget.

The Pianist, for me, comes in close behind.

Originally posted by Spectre

How can such a horrific, brutal, saddest of all sad movies be one of my favourites? Because unlike the Armageddons and the Face Offs and other such Hollywood movies, Schindler's list means something. It's a lesson which should be compulsive viewing for everyone. So we know what war is like and so we won't forget.

My sentiments exactly

Lest we forget.

Adrenochrome.

At this precise moment in time, I actually think The Pianist is a better movie. But then again, I haven't seen Schindlers List since I watched the laserdisc 5 or 6 years ago. I have it on order but it's not an easy film to watch IIRC. Defo not a Saturday nighter after the boozer...:nono:

5 out of 10?, I'm speechless!

even if you dont like the film it would still not deserve 5/10, this is one of the few films I would rate a 10/10.

"even if you dont like the film it would still not deserve 5/10"

havent you contradicted yourself there?

Spielberg was criticised by some for making the holocaust into entertainment - whilst I think the film is good, it does ratchet emotional manipulation up to a spinal tap style 11. The red dress girl is perhaps the most blatant example of this.

I'd like to see the film "Shoah" on DVD - never seen this properly and it would be nice to compare the strict documentary style of this to the "hollywood holocaust" that SL sometimes becomes.

Overall though, probably Spielbergs best film, but his biggest weakness is that he simply cannot resist schmaltz.

Frankly, the review is way off the mark - just a lot of anti Spielberg sentiment. Both SL and SPR were wonderful films from top to bottom. I have only seen SL once - that was at the Empire in London and I remember at the end the whole audience sitting there for 5 minutes in stunned silence, eventually breaking out into a standing ovation.

Actually, "way off the mark" is a very mild way to put it - no disrespect to Richard but someone else needs to review the disk as his view contradicts with the vast majority of people who have watched this film (probably 95% or more).

A connoisseur of wines can appreciate superior wines even if they aren't to his taste.

Hello folks, I'm the reviewer :eek:

Thanks for your generally balanced comments. I thought I’d get much more of a roasting.

Unfortunately, film is subjective. I do “get” the film - I just don’t think it’s a very good film. I understand why Spielberg made some of the more unusual choices, but for every good decision he makes (and there are moments which I do like) he makes three more which make me wince. In my opinion, if Spielberg shot it completely like a documentary, which, I feel, is what he initially set out to do (B/W handheld photography), the film would be improved. I find the current film to be highly manipulative when it has no need to be.

I know most people like and respect the film, I know I’m in the minority. I could have lied and towed the line, but I though I’d might as well say how I felt. This was compounded by watching the extras - the main documentary really is far more potent than the main feature.

I wish I could just review the disc, not the movie - it would be far easier.

Cheers folks, hope you enjoy the disc.

Richard Hardbattle

I love the film, but I am glad that people can express freely their opinions. We all have different opinions on different films, and we should only care about what WE like.

And to be honest, when I read one of the reviews in the forum, I never read the bit about the opinion of the film by the reviewer, just the Picture and Sound commentaries. At the end of the day, it will be me who decides if I like a film or not .

I was pointed to this thread & review by Matt.

Admittedly, I saw the film a very long time ago upon its initial VHS rental release and I was only about 7 or 8 at the time, so I can't comment on it at all. But the mixed opinions of this thread are certainately an interesting read.

I'll be buying this one A.S.A.P. :smashin: - if I like it I may even write a review myself, if I don't I'll just post in here about why I think it's crap :D...

Watch this Space...

Originally posted by Dimmy
I like it I may even write a review myself, if I don't I'll just post in here about why I think it's crap :D...

Watch this Space...

Don't threaten us like that Dimmy :eek:

Personally I don't understand how the DVD can get a 7/10 if he only gave the film a 5/10.

I don't think the story telling is as concise as 'The Pianist', but it IS a great film, definately Neeson's finest performance to date.

Lol - matrix reloaded flashbacks Games Guru :laugh:?

Originally posted by Dimmy
Lol - matrix reloaded flashbacks Games Guru :laugh:?

Now that was a film worthy of 5/10 IMHO.

Originally posted by rags
Now that was a film worthy of 5/10 IMHO.

:)

I'll bite my tongue.

Watched Schindlers List over 2 sittings - started last night on the big screen and finished this afternoon on the small 32" WS set...lets just say that after last nights session, I agreed with the reviewer 100% on this...however, after this afternoons viewing, my attitude towards this movie has changed...believe it or not, I think it actually had more impact on the smaller screen.
I found my mind wandering last night. I don't know why...I hadn't seen this movie for at least 5 years on NTSC laserdisc. It's not a film you put to fill a couple of hours, and, to be honest, I don't think I could stomach it more than once every 5 years.
But the final hour and 20 minutes (the second side of this flipper) has to be the hardest going in movie watching history, with the final 15 minutes being the hardest.
The scene at the end where Schindler breaks down because he dosen't believe he saved enough people had a tear in MY eye...and that's saying something.
All in all, a good film, NOT outstanding. However, the performances of the actors were superb...I can't believe Liam Neeson didn't win an Oscar for his potrayal of Schindler...Ben Kingsley was outstanding as Issak Sturn, and it was moving at the end to see the actor place a stone on Schindlers grave along with the surviving Mrs Schindler...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom