schindlers list movie split?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there been any reason given for Schindler's list being split across two discs? Its a 3 hour movie, but they've been done very successfully on one DVD before.

Is there a natural break in the movie where this is done? Has it spoilt anyone's experience of the movie?

With the number of language tracks and the length of the movie it's been done in order not to sacrifice any picture quality.

Does it spoil the experience? No not really, but it is a little off-putting that to select dts on the 2nd disc, it plays the DTS intro again (sloppy imho)

If thats the case, then I'd prefer not to say 'in order not to sacrifice the picture quality'. I'd substitute 'in order to improve logistics and stock efficiency'

Originally posted by richard plumb
If thats the case, then I'd prefer not to say 'in order not to sacrifice the picture quality'. I'd substitute 'in order to improve logistics and stock efficiency'

Eh?:confused:

I think he's trying to say that preserving the picture quality due to all the language tracks by having the film split over two discs is the reason we're all spoonfed.

But the real reason is so that only one dvd has to be produced for europe.

Although this doesn't explain why the R1 disc is split over two discs as it does not have all the extra language tracks that appear on R2 discs.

I'd hazzard a guess that he means that they could have produced multiple versions of the disk for different languages and distributed them to their respective countries - but it's easier for them to author, stock and distribute just the one package across europe.

It's not really in the interest of picture quality - they could have got it onto one disk withg the same quality if they did different releases for different languages. Can't think of any of the top of my head now - but haven't there been english only dts release of titles in the past ?

The R1 copy that i have is one 1 disc!!! but you do have to turn it over halfway through, so i guess you could call it two discs!

You can buy the boxed set at Xtra Vision so I assume you can get it at Blockbuster in England £39.... Jim

yep, what they said! sorry, not a clear post.

Odd about the R1 disc though - doesn't it even have Spanish language and 2 DD/DTS tracks?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom