Schindler's List a Flipper?!

Simon6776

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Got my copy of Schindler's List today from DVD Pacific, and was quite surprised to see it's a flipper! Perhaps not in the 'old' way, but the film is certainly split over both sides. I thought those days were gone! The case isn't all that either. Like a CD Digipak case. Anyone else got theirs yet?

Originally posted by Simon6776
quite surprised to see it's a flipper! Perhaps not in the 'old' way, but the film is certainly split over both sides.

Care to explain :confused:
I so hope this isn't the case, I really don't see any reason for it nowadays :(

Its quite a long film isn't it? Best split over 2 sides or 2 DVDs to ensure best PQ. :)

Originally posted by Zone
Care to explain :confused:
I so hope this isn't the case, I really don't see any reason for it nowadays :(

Quote from the insert:

"This is a two-sided disc. The feature plays on Side A, and continues on Side B. The Bonus Material follows after the movie on Side B."

Can't explain it better than that! :(

Seems like the Region 4 is on two discs, and also has a normal amray case. Wish I'd known about this before! :rolleyes:

See here for comparisons.

Quote from the insert:

"This is a two-sided disc. The feature plays on Side A, and continues on Side B. The Bonus Material follows after the movie on Side B." [/URL]

I see, so its a one disc presentation with the movie on one side and the bonus material on the other yes?

Well I'm ordering mine from DVDSoon who state its a 2 disc set with 2 layer changes and only on 1 side , sure hope so anyway I guess I'll find out soon enough ;)

If there was an option for an superb print split across 2 sides or a very average/disappointing print on just 1 side I personally would go for the flipper.

Yeah, it's a pain but I will not put up with poor transfer.

Originally posted by Zone
I see, so its a one disc presentation with the movie on one side and the bonus material on the other yes?

No, that's not what it says. The feature plays on Side A and continues on Side B. That means that you have to flip the disc during the movie. The extras are also on Side B, following the movie.

I think I'm going to order the R4 version. I can easily find a buyer for the R1, as it was only about £12 from DVD Pacific, so even if I sell it for a tenner, I'm not too much worse off. It's about £13 from EzyDVD, but it doesn't come out over there till April. Don't suppose I'd have time to watch it till then anyway! :rolleyes:

The reason I didn't order it from DVD Soon is that, being Universal, it may well contain dual language packaging. Fussy bugger, me! :D

I think I'm going to order the R4 version...

Any particular reason why R4 might be better than R2?

Originally posted by cybersoga

I'm sure i read on dvd compare that the movie is split over DISKS

Adrenochrome.

I'd expect that R2 will also be 2 discs.

Well, the price for one thing! :eek: Just looked on Play and it's £17.99 against £13 from EzyDVD.

I'd expect that R2 will also be 2 discs.

From dvd compare

Note - Region 2/4 encoded. 2-disc set (the movie transfer is spread over 2 discs).

Adrenochrome.

I don't see why flippers are so bad. You still have to switch discs when having it on two discs. Why is switching discs better than flipping a disc over? I suppose two discs would have pictures on the top.

Simply breaks up the rythm of the film for me, just hope they've done it carefully, sympathetically and not slap dash! Never liked the cut off on the LOTR EE's, they always seemed IMO to have not been thought out or done very well.

I thought on FOTR the split was done reasonably well, but on TTT it seems to have not been thought through with a great deal of clarity.

Bringing this back to Schindler's List, I believe there is a technical reason for two discs to be better than a single two sided disc, but I can't remember what it is now! :rolleyes: I'm sure someone will enlighten us! :D

With a dual DVD drive PC you could get it to auto continue. :)

I can't believe it's a flipper.

What a disappointment. :suicide:

I'll wait for a "superbit" or whatever this particular studio calls theirs. I don't see why they couldn't release a 3-disc package? DD and film on one, DTS and film on the other, and special stuff on the third?

Seems absolutely insane to me. I would probably watch 'Gattaca' and 'Goodfellas' on a weekly basis if I wasn't so petrified of damaging the disc trying to extract it without a dreaded fingerprint to smear it :rolleyes:

I can't stand flippers! :mad:

Bloody dolphins! :confused:

Originally posted by Games Guru
I can't stand flippers! :mad:

Same here, been waiting a long time for this to be released and as far as I'm concerned was too much of an important film to have been treated this way, whoever made the decision needs a slap :nono:

Originally posted by Games Guru

I'll wait for a "superbit" or whatever this particular studio calls theirs. I don't see why they couldn't release a 3-disc package? DD and film on one, DTS and film on the other, and special stuff on the third?

There probably isn't room on one disc for the whole film at the bitrate they have used, even with only one audio track. It takes a high bitrate to compress a stylised grainy film to keep it looking like film. I for one would not want them to compromise on picture quality by trying to squeeze it on one disc.

I shall be a bit p*****d if when I get it they could have fit it on one disc + DTS just by dropping the other audio tracks!

I don't mind switching disks as with the extended LoTR films, but I hate flippers. I always end up putting the wrong side in to play first :)

Got my copy of Schindler's List today from DVD Pacific, and was quite surprised to see it's a flipper! Perhaps not in the 'old' way, but the film is certainly split over both sides.

What's the difference between the 'old' way and the 'new' way?

The old way was single layer

I shall be a bit p*****d if when I get it they could have fit it on one disc + DTS just by dropping the other audio tracks!

Better yet, drop the DTS track and keep the DD 5.1. Takes up less space and gives just as good results :D

Isn't the problem here that they've crammed on so many different audio tracks?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom