Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (23 August 2019) directed by André Øvredal

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Produced by Guillermo del Toro, CBS Films and Lionsgate will release their Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark adaptation in US theaters on August 9, 2019.

Directed by André Øvredal (The Autopsy of Jane Doe)

IMG_0842.JPG

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
nice trailer, but I couldn't help laughing when she said "you don't read the book, the book reads you". Have they not seen Tropic Thunder? :laugh:

BAN5HEE

I really enjoyed the AOJD, so fingers crossed these might be entertaining.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
TAOJD is a brilliant horror movie that uses atmosphere rather than the lazy, obvious “jump scare” tactics that most directors like to employ ad infinitum.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
I can't say I've ever seen anything terrifying, or as much as a single disturbing image, in a PG13 flick, personally.
I don't honestly believe you can make effective horror with anything less than an R rating. I shall have to find out if that holds true when it's released, I guess.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
I can't say I've ever seen anything terrifying, or as much as a single disturbing image, in a PG13 flick, personally.
I don't honestly believe you can make effective horror with anything less than an R rating. I shall have to find out if that holds true when it's released, I guess.

Poltergeist, wasn't that PG at the time (in a pre PG-13 era)? Had a lot of disturbingly spooky images that still haunt the nethers of my subconscious.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Poltergeist, wasn't that PG at the time (in a pre PG-13 era)? Had a lot of disturbingly spooky images that still haunt the nethers of my subconscious.

I'm sure it was a 15. Considering the dude pulls his face apart in the kitchen I don't see them letting that go in a PG back then when they cut the far less gory Mola Ram pulls the guy's heart out through his chest in Temple Of Doom.

just checked the BBFC website, Poltergeist's a 15
POLTERGEIST | British Board of Film Classification

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
I'm sure it was a 15. Considering the dude pulls his face apart in the kitchen I don't see them letting that go in a PG back then when they cut the far less gory Mola Ram pulls the guy's heart out through his chest in Temple Of Doom.

just checked the BBFC website, Poltergeist's a 15
POLTERGEIST | British Board of Film Classification

Perhaps at the time or in USA only it was PG.

It was rated PG on appeal. Originally, the film was supposed to be rated R because it contained violence and gore, not to mention it was quite scary at times. But, Spielberg and his crew appealed the rating and the MPAA agreed to lower the rating from R to PG. PG-13 did not yet exist when Poltergeist was made.

Thing is, real human corpses were used in that film. :eek:

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Thing is, real human corpses were used in that film. :eek:

That's a Tobe Hooper thing though isn't it, he did the same in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I would not be at all surprised if that was his only real contribution to making Poltergeist.
He was only there to do as he was instructed and keep Spielberg's chair warm

Foster

Distinguished Member
Unlimited Screening on the 20th.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby honoured by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • By Andy Bassett