1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCARTS - is it worth spending a mint???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by AV novice, Feb 19, 2003.

1. AV novice

AV novice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have my sky receiver connected to my DVD via scart and my DVD to my Panasonic plasma tuner also via scart. I have my Denon AVR3802 connected to my DVD via optical lead. My plasma screen is the TH42PW5B.

I often suffer poor, grainy type picture quality when watching sky although DVD quality is excellent.

I am currently using run of the mill scart leads and wondered if it was worth spending some serious cash on decent scart leads. A friend of mine has a one meter scart to scart lead which he paid 40 quid for. I will potentially need to buy 2 or 3 of these leads.

My question is.... is it really worth it????:confused:

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer, sort of...

A better quality scart lead certainly does improve picture and sound. I use Ixos and Thor scarts in my systems at around forty quid a shot and the improvements are there to see.

However, as with most things relating to cables, the improvements are not revolutionary.

Depends on whether you've got £80-120 to splash out on or not I suppose. If you won't miss the money then go for it, you'll see the difference, if things are tight then don't lose any sleep over the quality of your scarts!!

3. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't bother spending loads on a scart cable for satellite, as you have already proved DVD looks excellent trough a standard lead compared to sky.

There may be a small benefit using a better cable for DVD as the quality of the picture is much better to begin with. Any improvements will be more noticeable the bigger your TV is.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Use as short a lead as possible.
    2. Use a fully screened lead (individual wires screened).
    3. Forget gold plated pins unless your equipment has gold plated connectors to match!
    4. You can get a decent lead for under a tenner from places like satcure. I have no doubt that shops such as Maplin and Tandy also sell them if you prefer to spend time and money on travelling rather than postage. (My wife does. *Any* excuse to go shopping!)
    :)

5. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed...