1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scarts etc - recommendations please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jmjm, Oct 28, 2002.

1. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have got a Panasonic 32PB50 connected via scart from AV1 to Sky box and scart from AV4 to a SCART Video Unit with outputs to a Panasonic RV32 DVD (also with digital audio to TV) and a Camecube. I thought this was the best way to get all 3 (Sky/DVD/GC) on RGB/scart. Does using a SCART switch cause any performance degradation?

I am pretty happy with this setup and don't really think I need much more as I am fairly new to the whole DVD-surround sound thing and am not using any AV separates. Plus TV has to be in the corner so speaker placement isn't optimum.

My question is - how can I further improve performance without adding anymore kit? Apart from the DVD scart, the scart cables are pretty cheap. I would like to replace the scarts from the TV to the digibox and to the SCART switch with some better ones - any recommendations?

Thanks

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have a look at the IXOS 126 and 141 (flat)

I have the 141 and I'm suitably impressed.

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also try out the THOR Scart cables at £30.. Was a recent test winner in some mags I believe.

4. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered a QED 1m RGB SQART @ £38 inclusive. I'll let you know how it is tomorrow.

Matt.

5. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Humn difficult to tell considering I got a new TV too! :)

...but the picture is pin-sharp, clear and colours are life like. No interference or ghosting etc.

Well worth the money. Using between DVD and TV.

Just need to get one for the Digital box! I may try the Thor...maybe next month! :)

Matt.

6. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought the IXOS flat SCART to SCART to replace my 2 metre QED SQUART yesterday. Both cables give the same quality image although I paid a bit more for the QED cable. Only brought new leads in order to tidy up my installation whose layout has now changed.

7. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recommendations guys -

I was looking at the IXOS ones as well - will get one for the TV-DVD and see how it looks. I tried the existing one (ProWire that came with the DVD) from TV-Sky last night and the picture was much sharper (including banners which were bad) so I am definitely convinced.

How much degradtaion do you think you get when using the Argos cheapo scart switch? Can this be offset at all by connecting it to the TV with a good quality scart?

Whats the deal with scarts that have pins disabled so just carry video not audio? Would it be beneficial for DVD to TV if you have optical audio cabled as well (or am I getting too obsessed?)

8. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I personally wouldn't use a switch, as you said degredation. The "offset" would be whatever the effect of the switch is, whether good or bad cables.

I got the 1m RGB only SQART, don't need audio. More space for shielding etc. and reduces crosstalk (I guess).

Take a look at www.sqart.com

I use 1m coax cable QED p75 to connect DVD to AMP. Although optical should be better for very long distances.

Matt.

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience of using the RGB Argos Scart box (one without the lead attatched) I haven't noticed a drop in quality at all. For £9.95 you are hardly going to go bankrupt over it and if you don't like it, pass it on to your parents or something ^_^

There isn't a loss in quality though and I've used it for my parents setup since the Panasonic TV doesn't have component connections. I've used the box to connect the Sky Digi, PS2 and DVD player (Tosh SD220E) and I haven't noticed a drop in quality at all. However if you want to pay more for a scart box, go for the Quattro+

10. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i too have it setup the same way as neoblade & the PQ is is the same as if it was going direct it to the tv.as a matter of fact it was neoblade who told me how to do it.for a £10 you can`t go wrong.