1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scarts at Argos

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kingsize, Aug 14, 2005.

1. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Argos are selling a Belkin Pure AV scart - gold plated, ofc, quad sheilded for £17.99 - 534/4431

Does anyone know if its any good - the guy at Richer sounds was suggesting purchasing scarts @ £60.00 - is this nescessary for an Hitachi plasma?

Thanks

2. hertderg

hertderg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If £18 is your budget try the thor scarts from tv cables, i've tried a £50 scart from richersounds then i tried thethor scart, couldn't tell the difference.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/FORUM-SP1.html

Hd

3. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks for that - just ordered 3............

4. Pixie_0

Pixie_0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    was the results worth it?

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    When it comes to Scart cables. There is not much to choose in picture quality between say a £50 offering and a chuck in the box offering.
    However if you were being pernickity the *expensive* scart would outperform the cheaper brethren. The sort of differences likely to be seen are better detail in poorly lit scenes and better shading of colour. However from my own experience I think you would have to watch several hours of program on repeat from each scart to really notice.

Perhaps the main advantage of a more expensive scart is superior screening thereby inducing less crosstalk (interference between individual wires) and noise feed to the TV which in turn SHOULD have it's own benefits, like sharper imaging and better clarity. Gold plating will not have any beneficial affect whatsoever. If it was that brilliant they would Gold plate the wires too ;)