1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart Vs VGA for PWD7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Artie Fufkin, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    As far as I can find out here, if I was to connect a Freeview box to a PWD7 by use of a JS RGB-VGA then I would have PiP and a good picture.

If I was to connect to a scart board, then I lose the PiP and get a softer picture but gain by having automatic widescreen switching [which I suppose is benificial with Freeview - the ratios are all over the place!]

Is that all there is to it?

2. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Can I assume that the lack of replies means that what I have said is correct and it's now down to me to make a decision?

3. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I've just had another thought. If I go for the scart then I can route both the freeview and the [not used very often, but it will be occasionally] VCR into that via a scart switcher. I know VCR will be a poor pic anyway, but scart would still be better than composite surely.

4. jgdesign

jgdesign
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Mate, Since no one else has replied I thought I'd try to help you out... I've got a pwd7 with js rgb-vga and also had the tuner box. From what I know, you won't be able to use a vcr with the js because it only accepts an rgb feed.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the scart is not quite so bad as folk make out but the js is definitely better...though as jg says no vcr through it as it only handles rgb. The vcr is going to be ***** via scart or composite.

6. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Thanks for taking the time to answer guys. I wasn't actually thinking of putting the VCR through the js anyway - it would be either the scart board or into the composite on the dual [component/composite] board, component being for the DVD.
    The VCR quality doesn't really matter, I just would like to be able to access some of my old tapes occasionally.

Am I correct though about the PiP on js versus widescreen switching on scart?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can PIP/PAP *any* two sources that are connected through independant boards. The only time you couldn't PIP/PAP would be if two sources were chained together into the same one input on the screen.

But yes via JS you lose widescreen switching. I would stick with your plan tho, Freeview via JS VGA, VCR into the composite connector on the dual board, DVD into component.

Also remember scart is a connector not a signal type. The plug is a scart plug, the signal is either composite, s-video, or RGB.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    pip is not really of much use anyway to my mind...at leat i've never found a use for it...other than showing off some times :).........and I'm not convinced (but may be wrong) that you get aspect switching via scart anyway. There is a gadget that av sales stock that supports aspect switching http://www.av-sales.com/html/aspect_switcher.html

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I use PIP very occasionally when there is sport on to keep an eye on the score, but I'm rarely watching a movie that I would want to interupt so don't often want to use it. But whatever the PIP functionality, the above is still the simplest way to connect.

Using the Panny scart board, set to Panasonic AUTO, with a Sky box scart control ON the plasma changes aspect fine. That aspect switcher is good in princible, but has one massive shortcoming. When you start watching DVDs if your Sky/Freeview is still powered on (likely if you use RF2 to another room, or have recordings etc) then the various changes in aspect when adverts come on etc still force a change on the plasma even though you are on a different input!! So you'll be watching a movie and the thing'll keep going short+fat, then wide+tall, then 4:3 stretched, then back again!! Only way to integrate it is to have all RGB scart connections, into a scart switcher, through the aspect controller, then up to the screen.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    that sounds a right pain in the proverbial!!!