1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART vs SCART RGB

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Reppy, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Toshiba 36ZP48 and noticed that two ot its SCART sockets are SCART RGB. What is SCART RGB, and what's the diffecerence between it and standard SCART? I thought SCART was SCART - I didn't reliase there were variants!

Does the source devices have to specifically output in SCART RGB for it be worthwhile, or is it just a higher quality version of SCART? Should I be looking to replace my SCART leads with SCART RGB leads, or are they in fact one and the same? Can I use SCART in SCART RGB sockets? I'm so confused...

More importantly, will I see the benefits of SCART RGB on my Tosh 36ZP48?

Thanks in advance for helping this noob out :blush:

2. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Rgb scart provides better picture and sound. it provides better quality than composite ( ordinary scart) and its also better than s-video . However the compunent imputs on the tosh will provide better pictures if you hook up a compatible dvd player.Hope this helps

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just to clarify at the most basic level. Scart is the name given to the type of connector; you know the rectangular ends that we all know and love. Now as a connector cable scart can actually transport 3 different types of signal; that being composite (being what you would consider standard scart), s-video which gives significant improvment and then a RGB signal which is generally considered the highest quality signal that can be transmitted through a scart lead.

Now not all scart leads are created equal but most will have the ability to trasmit a RGB signal. You should be aiming to have your external devices connected via RGB at the very least, this is also dependant on whether your set top box or DVD player etc can actually output a RGB signal (don't take it as given).

4. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - I really appreciate it. I've been getting more confused the more I've looked into this... Do the devices automatically make use of RGB if it's available? Most SCARTs appear to offer compsite, s-video and RGB (I've been looking at the unbranded flat SCART leads at tvcables.co.uk).

My set up is as follows:

1 x Toshiba SD330E (SCART RGB I believe)
    1 x Sky Box (SCART RGB?)

Both are connected to a Pioneer VSX C301 Surround Amp (SCART RGB?), which is in turn connected to the TV.

Re: Component inputs
    Are these just the phono connectors of old? Why are component inputs generally better - The SCART RGB seperates the signals as well, no? The back of my SD330E looks like this: Click Here. Are these the component connectors?

Again, I'm really sorry for my possibly stupid questions. My 4:3 TV of 8 years has just packed up on me, so I haven't had to deal with this for a while.

Thanks.

5. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a little more research after reading your replies and I've opted for the component cable (from tvcables.co.uk).

Cheers guys.

6. RedRasper

RedRasper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Reppy,

Dunno if you have brought that component cable yet, but I'd highly reccomend Mark Grants component cables. I have the same telly and dvd as you, and the cable was well worth the 50 quid!

(Don't forget you actually need to press the progessive button on the dvd remote to turn on progressive scan mode)

Red

7. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You have to be careful as most AV amps don't allow RGB switching. This means you'd need an RGB to component converter (JS Technology does a great one) if you want to use your amp for switching. Alternatively, most TVs have scart connectors that allow RGB input.