1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART VGA 15k to 31k conversion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by purplehorace, Jun 27, 2005.

1. purplehorace

purplehorace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Finally got a nice system setup in the living room and am now thinking about the bedroom. Basically I have currenly a digi box and a CRT but want to replace the CRT with an LCD screen. I already have an LCD screen that would be suitable if I was using a pc but need to know if anyone knows of any kit out there that will enable SCART RGB to be displayed on a PC LCD screen. I have tried a SyncBlaster and basically got a blank screen. There was definately a signal there because the screen would come out of hibernation when I switched the digi box on, I also checked that the digi box was supplying RGB and not composite.

I can basically put it down to refresh rates. I have found out that the basis of current TV kit relies on a 15k signal and the spec of the Sharp panel that I have to use has a minimum Hsync of 31.5kHz and Vsync of 60Hz.

Without having to build something to convert all the signals by buffering and doubling the Hsync does anyone know of anything out there that will do the conversion job.

I dont want to use a media center pc like iI have done for the main setup in the living room to get the best out of the Aquos.

Anyones help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    PH

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Cheapest thing would be to get an Avermedia box - around £100 (various models) that throw out XGA, SXGA, WXGA etc for LCD monitors to be turned into TVs. Don't think they do one with RGB scart input though...

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    You need a de-interlaced VGA signal with sync on separate H & V lines. There are lots of TV tuners with VGA outputs available, and they usually have at least composite and S-video inputs for interlaced auxilliary video sources. The best ones seem to have component, but I don't recall that there's one with RGB. You can get S-video out of your scart, though. Terminology makes them difficult to find. They're usually called PC TV cards or monitor tuners. Prices seem to vary from £10 to £200 - pick your poison.

Nick

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You actually won't be able to get s-video out of the scart. If you are lucky you have one of few Grundig digiboxes that have s-video output, otherwise you are left with composite or RGB from scart. (Sky+ boxes have s-video)

There are RGB -> component converters, but again expensive. Might be easier to keep the current LCD for PC use and just get a small LCD TV with RGB scart input!!

5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Liam,

I don't get that one.
    Accessory shops are full of scart to s-video adapters and leads. (but try finding one that does scart to rgb!)
    The luma signal uses pins 19 & 17 and chroma uses pins 15 & 13.
    I'm sure I've used it myself.
    Is there something funny about the digibox that doesn't support that output?

Nick

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Scart is a plug. The source device then decides which of the types of signals it will output its image as. Sky boxes will only do composite (pin 19), rgb uses 13, 15, 17, 19 IIRC.

Now only if the Sky box has the circuitry can it produce an s-video signal, and even then only if those circuits are also connected to the scart output can it send that signal through that socket.

The RGB thing is weirder. RGB has many flavours, STBS and DVDs use RGBcvS - the sync pulse is run seperately to the colour pulses. And in fact, it is the very same composite video pulse that is used to extract the sysnc from. The various converters you can buy are needed as they must seperate the sync from the composite signal, and give it two dedicated H and V pulses. This is then the same configuration as the kind of RGB signal a PC would use.

So long story short

- a cable without any electronics in it couldn't extract RGBcvS and turn it into RGBHV.
    - a scart-s-video will only work if an s-video signal is present. If not, the picture will be black and white as s-video shares one of it's pins with composite video (the luma or blakc and white information, which is useless without the relevant chroma or colour information)

7. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    So it's because the basic sky box doesn't output s-video, then?

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    No standard Sky digi box outputs S-Video. Even the rare Sony model that had an S-Video socket didn't have the electronics or software to do anything with it.

The only Sky box with S-Video out is the Sky+ box (all models), and even then it's only over the dedicated S-Video socket, not over scart.

Regards

Mark

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Basically yes, but thought you might want the accompanying explanation as to why those leads often don't work :lesson:

There is one Grundig standard Sky digital box with s-video output. Old 'un tho, and otherwise pants. But there was one...

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

If you were to rake through the AVForums and add up the total expenditure on SCART to S-Video cables that ultimately were of no use as the folk who bought them didn't have an S-Video enabled source device you could put together a pretty decent Home Theatre with the proceeds.

Best regards

Joe