1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart to VGA (Panny 6)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by berry, Nov 9, 2003.

1. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to take a final decision on Plasma screen - most likely to be the PWD6 with component/composite/s-video card.

Hoping to get some direction / expert advise from this forum on connecting a Cambridge Audio DVD (via scart) to the PWD6.

I am considering use of scart to PC input (15 pin) on plasma - is this a good method (if not, what else should I look at ?), if so; any comments on following options:

1. RGB to Plasm VGA box from JS

2. Sync blaster from Keene electronics

3. Another option I saw on this forum but can't find now??

Comments / suggestions gratefully received.

:smashin:

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Active VGA sync extractor. It's a no brainer. Noticably sharper and much better colours.

I got one by QED but that's because it comes prewired with nice scart and free 2m VGA cable.

JS Tech is the standard around here.

3. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deman77,

Thanks for your reply - where can I get more info? How much does it cost?

Is it better than JS and Sync blaster? In what way?

Thanks again

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you've got a cambridge, is it component out, and is it prog scan capable? If so, use it, you can use prog. scan YUV into 'VGA' on the panasonic.

5. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Berry,

mine was £150 from hificables. I don't know if how it compares with JSTech. It's slighly cheaper as you don't need to buy any more cables (1m wired scart plus 2m vga- so if the length does not suit you, go for JSTech). QED website has more info as well as the list of dealers.

JSTech is supposed to be the best of the bunch as doctor sim makes them w/o compromising on materials. Some said, big names tried to copy his design but still failed to achieve the same quality.

You shouldn't compromise on cables if you go for this toy. That's additional 40-60 for a scart (QED and Supra are good) plus VGA which could be as much as 120 for Silver Serpent from Better Cables (Joe Fernand sells them).

Bear in mind, this is still considered a budget solution as best would be svideo into a scaler (e.g. Lumagen) which outputs VGA.

6. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

My Cambridge Audio has 'component out' but is not prog. scan. Is it still worth using component conection?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    deman77,

Thanks for your response - will look into QED and Supra.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, should add that I'm going with the component/s-video/composite card (being supplied as part of package with PWD6).

Any other thoughts on connecting :

- Cambridge Audio (component & scart)
    - Cable (scart)
    - VCR (scart & S-video)
    - Ocassional use of PC (not critical)

Really appreciate members input to help me out - thanks

P.S. The video board has 5 BNC connectors Y, Pb, Pr, HD, VD. Do I need to use 3 phonos to 3 BNC or 3 phonos to 5 BNC???

Please help - what's the difference?

berry,

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Cheapest way is to add a scart board, connect cable and s-vhs to that, cambridge to component, and PC to VGA

8. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

Scart terminal board will cost apox £130+vat; JS (or similar) RGB to VGA converter would cost say, £120 + cable (£30) = £150 (inc. vat).

Is it worth investing in the converter? i.e. is there a significant picture improvement?

On the odd ocassion I need to connect a PC, I would swap the VGA cable at the converter end and plug into laptop/PC.

What do you think?

Also, can anyone shed any light on this HD and VD bnc plugs - do I need these connected?

Thanks,

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The scart board is a slight degradation in PQ, but does auto aspect switching, and is really plug & play, not like the JS boxes, where no rgb = no picture. It autosenses the input. Overall, I think you are better off with the scart board, you have component in via VGA in any case.

10. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Berry

I think the scart board is not worth it. It is much softer than component and vga inputs and the colours are not as rich. The only thing it has going for is auto-aspect switching. You have to make a choice whether you want better picture or more comfort. Manual aspect switching can be a pain but I prefer better picture. Incidently 'play' button on SKY+ remote does aspect swithing on my PW6 so still no need for panasonic remote. Bear in mind that manual aspect swithing usually involes 2-3 clicks because PW6 has useless aspect ratios of just (to feel like you are watching your old geometrically distorted CRT) and zoom (which just to put an extra line into your manual)

P.S. make sure you include the cost of VGA cable into your converter box calculation and good scart is more like 40-60 than 30

11. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there another thread fro PhilJW suggesting that auto aspect switching doesn't work on the PWD6?

If this is correct - what's the point of a scart connection?

As I already have an s-video in the terminal board (supplied with screen), should I stick with this (i.e. VCR -> Cable -> Plasma (s-vdeo))?

I'm really confused!

Also, can't find a supplier who stocks component 3xphono (dvd) to 3xbnc (plasma) - anyone got any ideas where I can get one for this weekend?

thanks,

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I can make you one, I'm in NW surrey if you're desperate, but try Lecktopaks also

13. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My connections are DVD and Skybox (with a Keene sync blaster to convert RGB into comp.) into my amp (which has two comp. in connections) and then component out to the plasma.

I have been reliably informed that this is the best way to connect it for picture quality (though I'm happy to be shouted down on that one).

However the drawback with this is that the aspect ratio doesnt automatically change, which apparently it will with scart connections. So it seems to me to be a trade off: better picture/manual ratio change or worse picture/automatic change.

I have heard that somewhere else on these forums there is talk of unit to solve this manual changing problem but I'm a new user and havent managed to find it yet! If anyone can provide a link......

I have Ixos component leads (3 rca to 3 rca) and then 3 rca/bnc plugs to attach to the plasma. Hifibitz will deliver next day if they have them in stock and are usually the cheapest in my experience (about 35 quid for the cable).

14. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Here you are http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93681

15. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand how difficult it can be to teach the plasma to switch aspect ration when it's deinterlacing.
    It sounds like it's analysing every pixel. They could just put a counter for non-black pixels somewhere into the cycle and if no non-black pixels come up in the top and bottom 10% of the screen, then switch to 16:9.

16. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to the original challenge then:

I was about to order the B-Tech Quintro as my AV hub (for DVD, cable & VCR - via scart) which in turn would hook into either the 5 BNC or VGA 15pin via a syncblaster cable. I thought this would achieve the auto aspect switch?

Having read this I may need to re-think?

Can anyone shed light on this - do I need a syncblaster cable or will a straight scart to 5 BNC (or scart o VGA) suffice from B-TECH Quintro to PWD6?

P.S. Don't have a scart board on the PWD6 (this is another £135+). I have the component/composite/s-video card.

Thanks in anticipation,