1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart to S-video

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BarryTra, Dec 29, 2002.

1. BarryTra

BarryTra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I got a Sanyo Z1 and have connected to my Panasonic A 7 Dvd with a s-video,just wondering if you get a better picture using a scart from dvd to s-video on projector.Cheers

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Hi

SCART to S-Video will give you exactly the same results as using a direct S-Video connection.

Does your DVD player have component output? If so, you will get better results using that.

Alternatively, it is possible to connect your DVD player to the Z1 using RGB SCART. If you see my earlier post entitled "PLV-Z1 and SyncBlaster" I explain how to do this.

Steve

3. BarryTra

BarryTra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Steve I read your post I noticed that keene has one for £70 .I dont think I could make one myself,do you get a better picture with this than the s-video to s-video.Cheers

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Hi

RGB is massively better (in my opinion) than S-Video.

To make the cable I describe, all you really need to buy is the two relevant cables and some couplers. No soldering is necessary.

As a guide, £20 should get you a SCART to 4 x BNC's £15 should get you a VGA->5 x BNC's, and you then need 4 x BNC<->BNC couplers (around £5 for the lot).

That is almost half the price of the Syncblaster cable, and you can make it any length you like by adding some longer cables in the middle. A long Syncblaster cable is big money.

The other issue is that there was a poster a while ago on here who stated he could not get the Syncblaster cable to work with his Z1.

Until someone has clarified whether or not the Syncblaster does indeed work with the Z1 I would not recommend buying one.

Steve

5. BarryTra

BarryTra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve
    What about a scart to component would that do the same job.Cheers

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Hi

SCART to component would also give very good results.

You are looking at spending about £150 though to get such a device.

If you are looking at the cables on the Keene website, the description of their SCART to 3 x RCA is misleading. It does imply that it would offer SCART to component - in fact this would only work if the source device was able to output component from its SCART socket which is extremely rare indeed.

The cable you would actually need from Keene is from their "Leads To Go - Custom AV Leads" section. From the drop-down box, select SCART to 4 x BNC.

You would also need a VGA to BNC cable "SVGA CABLE 15PIN HD MALE TO 5 x BNC PLUGS 2.0M". This - however is quite expensive from Keene. You would be able to get a similar cable from a computer dealer for £10-£15.

Finally, you need 4 x BNC couplers (about 50p each)

Steve