SCART to S-Video?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by andrewfee, Mar 7, 2006.

1. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Ok, having some problems here. Ordered a cable online and the description said it was a SCART to S-Video cable. I bought it with my new LCD purely as a convenience thing (although the cable turned up and the TV didn't...) so it's an IXOS one.

The box said it was S-Video to SCART, but surely a cable can't be one-directional, I thought.

Plugged it into my Freeview box, put the S-Video into my old CRT - no signal.

Plugged in a SCART > SCART into the secondary output and put it into PIP so I could change the menus and see the S-Video input at the same time. Switched the output from Auto to Y/C, no signal.

Switching it to RGB results in a rolling black and white signal, so obviously something is working.

Tried connecting it the other way round - S-Video from my Powerbook to SCART on the TV and it worked perfectly. A surprisingly good image coming from S-Video, much better than I have achieved from cheap S-Vid > S-Vid cables.

So does anyone know why this isn't working? Surely it can't only work in one direction? (I don't see how that would be possible)

If that's the case, seeing as you have to destroy the packaging to open IXOS cables, I doubt I'll be able to return/swap it, so does anyone know how to re-wire it so I will be able to get SCART to S-Video on my TV? As I said, the Freeview box (Sony VTX-D800U) has the option to output Y/C, so I don't see why it'd be hard. (I just need to know what pins go where - I've re-wired SCART cables to Japanese RGB before, so I'd be ok with that - although I'd hate to "butcher" a £25 lead)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Yes scart is definately directional so it is a matter of getting another lead or just rewireing the one you have (as you say you are unlikely to be able to return it unless it was faulty).
    With a quick Google search i found This site that shows the pinouts for a scart lead. It will probably also be usefull to know the pinouts for S-Video, so I found them Here.
    I'm not sure if you are aware, but the S-Video din plug only carries the video and not any audio, so the lead you have will need to also have a pair of RCA plugs for audio or you will need another lead for that.

Why did you decide to use the S-Video input on the LCD TV? If you have a shortage of scart inputs on the TV then fair enough, but the chances are that the RGBcvS output from the Sony STB via scart will give a better picture than S-Video and as long as the scart is fully wired it will also carry the stereo audio to the TV.

Mark.

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Yep I think S-Vid In and Out are on different pins, it's been a while since I wired my own SCART but I think only the RGB pins are the same both ways.

Try a quick Google, it looks like it's only the Luminance pin that changes and is on the same direction/pin as the composite video.

4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Thanks for the quick replies! I'm surprised that it is one-way, but if it's just one wire it shouldn't be a problem - I take it I just need to move pin 20 to 19?

I've opened up the lead and it looks like a piece of cake to do, as it's nice and tidy inside. (some of the leads I've opened up in the past were a mess of solder)

The box has a seperate audio output on it, so I can just use that for sound. (I did actually expect the cable to have S-Video and 2x RCA though)

The reason I'm not using RGB is because the display doesn't have it! :rotfl:

I've spent almost £6000 on LCD televisions in the last few months, all of which have gone back. I'm going to wait for the next generation of displays 6+ months from now, so I'm getting this as a stopgap; unlike most of the cheap LCDs it seems to have a good viewing angle and response time (on paper at least - I'll have to see) and is HD-Ready:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...n_GB&pageType=Overview&category=Flatpanel+LCD

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    I'm surprised that there is a TV on sale in the UK that does not have a scart input, but I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not as like many on this forum I think scart is a connection that offers convenience over quality.
    One thought though, can the HD-15 (VGA) input be set to accept an RGBcvS signal from the FV STB? If it can then you can run the STB to TV via a scart > HD15 lead, but as with S-Video will also need to run another lead for audio.

Mark.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Scart is only directional in that it will carry S-Video both into and out of the connector. It's the same with the audio and actually makes perfect sense.

Have you checked that your freeview box will actually output an S-Video signal via it's scart socket? :)

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Yes, the Sony does output S-Video via the scart socket. :thumbsup:

Mark.

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Just to let you know; I've now done the modification to the cable and it's working perfectly. :)

Doesn't appear to be quite as good as RGB (obviously) but part of that could be down to how well my older CRT handles it. I'm sure it'll be watchable. (only tested the menus, no aerial connected to the box)

Unfortunately, everything had been cut to just the right length for it to be S-Video > SCART, so I had to actually remove all four wires, cut, strip, tin and re-solder them all.