1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart to s-video

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Padster, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Padster

Padster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a scart output from Sony DVD system, to an s-video input on a DLP projector. The image produced is black and white :mad:
    Any ideas why?

Cheers! Paddy!

2. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You are not outputting SVHS from the SCART on the DVD player. If you are outputting RGB then the picture will appear B&W on an SVHS input.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Quite the opposite in fact. You are outputting S-Video from the scart socket but the projector only seems to be viewing a composite input. You should check that the scart lead is fully wired so is actually transferring the signal, that your scart adaptor is wired in the correct direction (ie. into the projector rather than out of it) and also that the projector is set up correctly for S-Video on the selected input. :)

4. Padster

Padster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that, Chris.

If i run from scart to composite video input on projector, presumably this would be in colour?

5. Padster

Padster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scart is fully wired and set to output from dvd. The source on the projector set to s-video, but states it is being projected in monochrome (hence, the black and white) :confused:

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  7. Padster

Padster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume so,

i can switch the scart to input and output. Hence, when i switch scart to output the signal should be going the correct way throught the s-video input to projector.

8. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was under the impression that both going from SVHS to Composite/RGB or Composite/RGB to SVHS would BOTH result in a B&W picture? Assuming the SCART is all pins connected don't both of these hypotheticals result in the chrominance signal being lost, either at 'source' or 'receipt'?

Anyhoo, did you try the SCART output on the DVD player to the composite input on the projector, Padster? Was it in colour?

EDIT - Are you definitely outputting in SVHS?

EDIT2 - Having said that my first SVHS-SCART lead just would not work because it was SCART to SVHS and I wanted to go from SVHS to SCART. Who would think multicore wire would be so expensive?

9. Padster

Padster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi m8,

when i use scart to composite , then the image is in colour!

But, i thought i would try the scart to s-video as it might give better results.
    May have to resort to scart to composite, but need to find a 10m cable!

10. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm, I would stick by my first (possibly wrong?) assertion that you are not outputting SVHS (or, in fact your SCART lead is wired SVHS to SCART and not vice versa).

I may be wrong but if eviljohn2 was correct about you sending SVHS then when input into the composite connection you would receive B&W.

Check the settings on the DVD player and check that it is definitely set to SVHS. Or does it have an actual SVHS connector, as opposed to SCART?

11. Padster

Padster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Chris!

I'll check the DVD player!

12. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if the player doesnt give svhs via scart, or have a dedicated svhs output socket, i believe u can get an external rgb to svhs convertor. or if u have dvi/hdmi inputs on the projector u could get an upscaler. know nowt about them, though.

sorry, written on my phone