Scart to S-video?

Weon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hullo!

Have been reading through this forum and have already picked up a few tips for improving my setup so firstly - THANK YOU! :smashin:

However, I am having problems with my Sky box in that I currently have to have my VCR on in order to watch Sky. The reason for this is that my Yamaha DVX-S100 will only output composite from a composite input (it does no conversion to s-video). This is fine apart from the fact that when both s-video and composite are plugged into my Hitachi 42PMA400E screen, it displays nothing. If I unplug the s-video the composite signal displays OK!

Therefore, I went out and bought a scart to s-video cable to carry the signal from the Sky box to the amp but then the signal went all grey and fuzzy. I thought it was a dodgy lead so I went and got it replaced but to no avail. The lead did the same whether I plugged the source (I tried both my VCR and Sky box) direct into the screen or the amp. Am I being a complete dork?

So, my question in a nutshell is how do I get my Sky box signal to s-video so that it displays correctly on my screen?

I have considered trying to replace the VGA inputs with another set of video ones but that would limit the functionality of my screen (plus I don't know if it's possible!)

(If this should have been in a different forum, I apologise - it seemed to sit under a few different topics!)

The problem is just because you are using a Scart to s-video cable, doesn't mean that your Sky box is outputting s-video! If your Sky box is able to output s-video, it will have an s-video socket. Simply using a Scart to S-video cable is not sufficient, as your sky box actually has to be able to output an s-video signal out of the Scart socket, which I suspect it can't. :lesson:

If you want an s-video signal then your best bet is to buy one of these . Connect a Scart lead from your Sky box into the converter, then an s-video lead from the converter into your screen. The converter also allows for RGB pass-through so you can still use the RGB signal via Scart if you wish.

Hope that helps!

Ah - thank you Filbert!

I suspected it would be something along those lines! 75 quid though - ouch.

Cheaper ones are probably available, but the one from J.S Technology is one of the best you can buy, and without loss of quality. At the end of the day the choice as they say is yours!

Hullo!

I have just received my converter and plugged it all in but the picture colour is all wrong. It is almost all blue and when I go into the menu, none of the yellow shows up (see picture)

rgb.jpg

Is this because my SCART cable isn't fully RGB Compliant? I tried a different one but it appeared to invert all the colours and turn it green and orange (as well as flickering like mad!).

what is the colour control on TV like (did you mess with it when you had the grey image???) try adjusting this first (note down original values) if no help try emailing the manufacturer to see if the have seen this before also make sure all scarts a re fully seated...

Haven't touched the colour levels at all. All cables are fully seated. You can see there is also some shadowing (shows most on the bits that should be yellow). This is what makes me think it might be a cable issue.

Weon,

Just sent you an e-mail. We haven't seen what you are experiencing before, and so have contacted JS Technology on your behalf to see if they can explain what is going wrong, and we will e-mail you with a response.

Regards...

Cheers for that Filbert.

It seems to be typical of everything I try to do at the moment - it SHOULD work but doesn't!

If I don't reply to your mail very quickly it'll be because I am zooming down the slopes in France (I need a break!).

Weon,
interesting, and not something we've seen before. How is your system configured? Is there any extra boxes that you're going through before the converter? Is it directly out from the convert to the screen? Can you also try disconnecting any other input to the screen to try an rule anything else out?

Reading through your post, you seem to have an A/V amplifer feeding both composite and S-Video up. Could you just try Sky to the converter and then directly to the screen without anything else connected. What I'm trying to do here is determine by simplifying the system where any problem may be.

However, we'd be more than happy to check the converter out for you if you wish. We're here to support our products, and will be glad to help you get the best out of your system.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

John, I shall have a play about this evening and post my findings. At the moment, I am feeding only s-video into the amp with one s-video lead going from that to the plasma. The converter is in the following chain:

Sky > Converter > Amp > Plasma

I'll try bypassing the amp to see if it makes a difference (all my other sources are fine). I am using component for the PS2 but that is a direct link to the Plasma so SHOULD have no effect!

Watch this space...

Can we also make it so that it's just the converter going to the screen?

All the best,

John.

OK, I tried doing Sky > Converter > Plasma but had the same. I removed the Component (PS2) input from the screen and had the same again.

The sound comes through fine (don't know if that makes a difference but thought I would mention it)

I tried switching all those little switches too (just in case) but it made no difference. It must either be the box or one of my leads. The s-video lead is brand new so it shouldn't be that and the SCART lead worked before (although I am pretty sure I've never tried to pass an RGB signal down it).

Any suggestions? Is there a way I can test my leads (I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone who has the same leads that I could swap with!)?

Hi,
we can certainly check the converter over for you and at least that will rule out the converter in your system.

Just pop it in the post to the address in the instruction manual (with a return address) and we'll take it from there.

All the best,

John.

John

I know this may sound a bit cheeky but could I also pop in the cables I've been using for you to check too? I have nothing else to compare them too so it would be great if you could give them the quick once over for me!

Cheers

Owen

John

I shall drop this in the post today. I'll put in something to cover the extra weight of my cables on the return postage.

Cheers

Owen

Owen,
we're received the RGB to S-Video converter and leads today. I have the unit on test right now, but have nothing to report. It and the leads seem to be working fine with our system.

All the best,

John.

OK - got the box back and all the leads (many thanks John for testing it all for me!).

I connected it all back up. Same problem. Having recovered from spontaneously combusting I unplugged it all and plugged it all back in to make sure everything was seated properly. Still no joy.

Then I switch the direction of the Scart > S-video cable and return the switch to the correct location and hey-presto, a perfect picture. It would seem that once I turn on the Sky box, turn on the plasma or switch the Amp to the Sky box, I need to flick the switch on the cable to the wrong direction and back again.

This works without fail.

I have no idea why.

Any ideas? In the meantime, I can watch Sky without having to have the video on (hoorah) but the solution isn't exactly ideal!

Hi,

what if you have the VCR disconnected from the screen? As I said earlier in the thread it does sound that you've got two sources fighting each other.

No problem checking out your cables and the converter.

All the best,

John.

Wotcha

It happens even if I bypass the amp altogether and plug the converter box directly into the screen so it is the only video input! Nuts eh?

"flick the switch on the cable" ?? What cable has a switch on it? :confused:

It's a bi-directional SCART to S-Video lead. As a SCART to S-Video lead is wired different to a S-Video to SCART lead, the switch changes the function of the lead over.

All the best,

John.

Ahhh ok, didn't realise he was using a switchable cable! Makes sense now! :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom