1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart to S-Video PT-AE100 problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JohnCorleone, Jan 19, 2003.

1. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been playing my PT-AE100 with s-video to s-video from my dvd player to projector. I wanted to be able to play videos as well but dont have an s-video out on my VHS player so bought a scart-> svideo cable yesterday thinking this would work. Unfortunately the projector doesnt seem to be getting a signal and videos arent displayed :( I tried this same scart to s-video from my DVD player to the projector and this didnt work either. I've tried the cable on another system in the house and it worked fine :/ Is there a known problem with the s-video in on the panny only working if its connected to an s-video out on a player? Anyone any ideas as ive about 150 Videos which i'd like to be able to play :(

Many thanks,

John

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Normal VHS video's dont output S-video signals. They can only output composite or RF. The only video's that output S-video are SVHS decks but they cost a bit more than standard VHS decks. So thats why your Panny isn't displaying anything. What you need is a scart to composite cable (ie scart to red, white and yellow phono plugs- the audio red and white going to your sound system and the yellow one going to the projector.)

As for the dvd player-the dvd player is probably setup to output RGB on the scart socket. There is probably a menu option on the player to switch the scart output from RGB to S-video.

3. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right thanks, that makes sense about the video player. Looks like the cable was a waste of 45 Euros tho becuase the marantz DV3100 I have doesnt seem to have any option to change the scart output from RGB to s-video :( Theres an option to change the tv ouput to component or s-video but this doesnt seem to make any difference. Anyone got it working with this DVD player ?

Many thanks again for the replies on these boards, so so helpful :)

John

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Have you checked to see if the cable you got is single directional by any chance ????:rolleyes:

5. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good point.

It is Single directional :( S-Video -> Scart. That must be it so because I have it connecting from scart on the DVD to the S-video input on the panny.Is there anything I could do to get this to work?

Really should have checked here first before I went out buying cables, thought all cables were multi-directional.
    John

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399

Receipt and refund/exchange spring to mind.;)

7. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant see them taking it back tbh. Theres nothing wrong with it and the packaging was very tough plastic that I had to cut through to open it so the box is in bits :( Not to worry, live and learn and all that ;) I'm sure I'll have a use for it at some stage or I'll just try and sell it.

Thanks,

John

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    if your DVD player is stuck with only RGB (or composite, but ignore that), you can use an RGB-Svideo converter for around £50-£80 (depending which one you buy).

This does exactly what it says on the tin and will allow you to feed s-video into your projector.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That VHS problem you have, if your amp switches s-video you may like to know that a very cheap little dongle from Maplins will make your composite video into 's-video' for the puropse of switching and input. I think they're about £10. Don't expect any better quality than composite, but it's one less cable to run to the projector, and might simplify wiring at the input end too.

10. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the info, I have to say I'm a bit lost when it comes to using my amp for video signals ? Can you explain how I would use my amp to achieve this as I've only ever used the outputs on my video/dvd to get the video signal. What If my amp does component out, could I somehow use this to get component to my panny ?

/me feeling a little lost now ;)

Cheers :)

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All av amps that do video switching, ie most, will do it only with the same type of input and output vid. ie svideo in, then svideo out. Actually quite simple. That's why the suggestion of getting a svd. signal from your VHS, then all would be switchable from the remote for your amp, ie when watching on the AE100, you'd press DVD on the remote, and have dvd sound and dvd svideo sent from the player to the amp, and from the amp to the projector and speakers. When you press VHS, it switches both the sound and the video source to the video for you.

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Anyone have a link to this, or more info? My current new setup is limited only by the fact that the VCR won't go down the S-video cable to my TV (the only video cable for TV now), so converting my composite output to 's-video' would be perfect.

Only snag is that it gets passed out from my TiVo, so I guess I'd have to disconnect the output and switch it separately. I already have too many things to connect too...

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    S-VHS to Phono adaptor Price £4.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Navigation Help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Past and Current Orders Sound & Vision - Audio Video Cables & Accessories - Video

Order total: £0.00 Click here to see the rest of the rangeStereo Video Copying KitBNC-BNC Video LeadBNC-Phono Video LeadPhono To Coax Plug Video LeadS-VHS to S-VHS LeadPhono - Phono Video LeadS-VHS Lead 15mSVHS Plg/Skt Lead 3mUniversal Video Connection KitComposite Video A/V Lead 2m

'Yer tis. Their site is in frames, so sorry no link as we know it. Under sound and vision, then leads and cables or something close to that!

• Bi-directional conversion
    • Gold-plated connections
    • Compact and easy-to-use
    Converts s-video to composite or vice versa. Simply connect in line. Composite end has single phono (RCA) socket, S-VHS end has 4-pin miniDIN socket.

People who bought a QM52G - SVHS-Phono Adaptor also bought...
    BV35Q - SVHS Plg/Plg Lead 3m
    VA12N - SCART-3 Phone+SVHS

View stock availability
    Wish Code Description Price Inc VAT 1+ Ex VAT 5+ Ex VAT 10+ Ex VAT 25+ Ex VAT 100+ Ex VAT QTY
    QM52G SVHS-Phono Adaptor 4.99 4.2468 3.822 3.609 3.397 3.185

- The prices shown are only a guide and are subject to change -

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That post is a hideous mess, but I can't seem to get it any better. www.maplin.co.uk is where you'll find it, cheap but useful!