1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scart to s-video is B&W why?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by GarethL, Jun 5, 2004.

1. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a connected my Pace OnDigital box to my AVR300 AV/amp using an s-video to SCART cable (IXOS). The display is black and white and of poor quality. My DVD player is connected to the same AV/map using component and works perfectly.

I notice that some cables (QED) that go from SCART to s-video are one-directional. Have I bought such a cable ? and am I using it in the wrong direction ?

Any help much appreciated

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Scart > S Video cables are indeed directional. This is because there are different pins inside the scart terminal for "Colour In" and "Colour Out". The Brightness travels down the composite pin so will be seen anyway.

Either you've got the wrong cable or the Pace digibox doesn't output S-Video. :)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I am fairly sure that your problem is not the cable, but the OnD box. The vast majority of UK STB's do not output S-Video. As eviljohn2 said, this will cause the picture to be B&W as the colour & brightness are on different scart pins for S-Video and therefore the STB is not sending the colour signal and the AVR-300 is ignoring the colour on the brightness pin. To connect via the receiver and get a colour picture you will need to get an RGB > S-Video converter. The best of these is available from the forum sponsor JS-Technology (see link at top of page).

Mark.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that Mark is correct and that your Ondigital box will not output an s-video signal at all which is why it is poor quality and black and white.

The best connection from the satellite box will be RGB and I would suggest that if you are using a normal TV you connect the scart directly from the satellite box to the RGB scart socket on the TV

5. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for the black and white picture is because the luma signal shares the composite video pin of the scart connector. Your scart is not s-video compatible or the box is not set for s-video so you cannot see the chroma component. The cable direction is fine.

Hope that helps,
    Andy.

6. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had this problem when connecting my PC to my TV. The problem for me was that the TV did not support S-Video, but it still displays a B&W pic because the luminace pin uses the same pin as composite. Something like that anyway!

7. Hopkins

Hopkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, too, have a problem connecting my PC to the TV. I am using a Thor S-Video+RCA to SCART cable that can work in either direction, but the image appears in B&W. It would seem from this thread that it may be that my TV does not support an S-Video signal (it's a crappy old Goodmans TV :p).

However, a previous graphics card that I had came with a converter that plugged into the card's 7-pin variation of an S-Video socket, and provided a normal 4-pin s-video in/out and composite in/out. This S-Video out worked fine with my TV.

Also, I have noticed that if I pull the s-video plug slightly out of the computer, I can get a colour picture through to the TV but with the introduction of some noise... Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks!