Scart to S-video in Yamaha 750 help ..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by *ChrisB*, May 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just dusted off my vcr to make use of the tuner and I have connected it to my Yamaha 750 with a scart to S-video lead which is in turn coverted to a component signal for my plasma.
    All is fine if I plug the S-video lead into the front s-video 'V-AUX' socket but I get a black & white picture if I connect the same lead into the rear s-video 'VCR' socket ?????

I've had a good look thru the manual but must be missing something silly .... :rolleyes:

Any ideas :lease:

Thanks in advance :)

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Er - doesn't sound like it. I also have the 750, and AFAIK the front s-video and rear s-videos are all handled in exactly the same way (I'd be kind of suprised if this wasn't the case). I do't recall the S-video spec properly, but I vaguely remember there being a seperate luminance and crominance wire, so maybe the crominance connection on your back socket is not making contact properly. Might be worth trying contact cleaner/different cable just in case it is a physical contact problem.

Cheers

Greg

3. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the reply Greg

I thought the same thing but I get black & white with either of the rear 'vcr1' or 'vcr2' s-video jacks ??

4. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Normally you can't get an S-Video signal out of a VHS video machine's scart socket. (Unless it is an S-VHS machine) This would explain the B&W pictures.
    More likely the front AV socket is only showing composite video even though you are connecting with an S-Video cable.

5. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thankyou that would make sense, ok so I'd need a scart to s-video converter then I assume ?

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Some of the older VCR's don't work on AV AMPS - my denon manual states that if you get a black & white picture (slightly fuzzy?) you need to enable "time based correction" on the VCR. It would appear that time based correction is a fairly new thing only on the newer VCR's.

Not saying that is defo your problem but it could be.

7. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Faxfan, it is an old Sony Vcr so that could also be the problem ...

I'll try using a scart>composite plug I have borrowed from work & report back :)

Cheers

Chris

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    I would have thought that your AVR can take a composite input at the rear and so just need to get a scart to composite cable (much cheaper than a composite to S.Video converter) - as it is being converted to 'component' I doubt you will lose anything (it may actually be better as you are not converting it to s.video and then converting it again to component as each conversion introduce a point where things can go wrong)

9. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Astaroth, I've now hooked it up doing exactly that and it'll be fine for the rare occasion I need it.

Thankyou chaps :)

Chris

10. JTinKaz

JTinKaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris, funnily enough I've got an identical problem to yours! Trying to make use of my old Sony Video for the tuner through my Yamaha 750 amp to my plasma. I was trying to use the Scart>S-video lead too and getting B&W pictures. I've followed the advice in this thread and set it up with the scart>composite lead but I'm now getting sound with no picture at all! What am I doing wrong?

11. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I used a normal composite lead ie red/white/yellow either end & then plugged one end into a switchable scart plug which in turn plugged into the video the other end of the composite lead into the amp.
    The switchable scart lead is the important bit as some of the composite>scart leads send the signal to the scart rather than the other way round (if that makes sense).

Chris