Scart To Rgb ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by FALCON4, Nov 20, 2004.

1. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have Brought A Plasma Screen With Seperate Phono Rgb Inputs.
    I Want To Connect My Dvd Player To It Using These Connections.
    Is There Anyway To Connect From The Dvd's Scart Out To Seperate Rgb's. Have Seen A Scart Lead Wired To Rgb Phono's But I Think It Only Works From Rgb To Scart Not The Other Way.
    New At This So Any Help Would Be Nice.
    Thanks

2. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Take a look at the QED AV19 scart to 6 phono cable.

www.qed.co.uk

3. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks have taken a look and it should do what i want although i dont need the audio bits. have tried a few of the suppliers but no one has one in stock and they havent got a price. any idea if the other lead i mentioned would work just the same ???

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    OK slow down guys Scarts RGB is actually RGBS 3 phonos cant carry 4 signals so is either RGsB or YUV (YPbPr) etc etc etc ?What plasma do you have and which DVD player.....

5. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    plasma is a vision pm-4230 and my dvd is a panasonic dmr e50.

6. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably Component RGB on the Plasma then rather than SCART RGB. I bet you now wish you had the E55.

7. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so will the rgb (3 phono males) on one end and scart on the other work for me, (scart into the e50 and 3 phono rgb's into the screen) ????

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  9. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it has no scart,its got vga, dvi, video in and video out (yellow phono), rgb (3 phono's) and s video.
    was going to use the s video but as it has rgb's i thought it would be better.

10. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3 RGB phono's would be better, but your DVD recorder doesn't have any. As you don't list the plasma as having a SCART input you're going to have to settle for S-Video untill you change your recorder.

11. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the qed lead wont work either then. just found it on a web site for sixty quid.
    would like to know if it wont work before i buy it. :)

12. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately won't work as the RGB SCART output on the E50 isn't a Component RGB i'm afraid. That was one of the main differences between the E50 and E55 recorder.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    you need a converter to convert RGBS output of recorder to something the Plasma can accept either S-Video (simple and cheap) RGBHV (possible but probably expensive) YUV (£150 ish)

14. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what u can do is to convert the Scart RGB to RGsB (ie RGb with Sync on G). In this way, you can use the QED AV19 cable. You will still need the two audio L/R cables on the QED AV19 as audio L/R channels in the Scart will be needed to output the audio from your plasma speakers.

For the Scart RGB -> RGsB conversion, you will need the Keene Syncblaster Black Box RGB processor as it can add sync from the Scart composite pin onto the G channel of RGB.

Otherwise, you can consider a Scart RGB conversion to VGA (RGB with sync).

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Eye that may work but i wouldnt bet on it without knowing exactly what the Vision can accept res and Sync wise

16. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would put the money towards a good amp which takes S-Video in and converts to Component out and use this as my AV switcher, or upgrade to a newer DVD recorder with component out. That's assuming you're not happy with the S-Video picture quality.

17. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    MuffKing - s-video converted to component is still an s-video quality signal. Would be better to just run from SVHS out on E50 to SVHS in on plasma.

Falcon - running s-video is gonna give a decent image and isn't gonna cost you more than an s-video lead. Or convert the RGB scart signal (RGBs) into RGBHV to run into the 15pin d-sub socket (the PC connector). JS Technology's RGB to plasma VGA is the best at this (£125 plus needs one scart lead and one VGA lead) or Keenes Syncblaster is nice and cheap at £70 and is an all-in-one cable. Quality is not as great as JS box, but will give better than s-video easily.

Eye - that will not work. The socket is for component colourspace not RGB colourspace. However using the black box to convert to RGBHV for the d-sub socket would work, cheaper to use Syncblaster lead though.

Horny - not worth buying an s-video converter when there's already an s-video socket on the DVDr!! (I'm sure you meant that but wasn't too clear).

18. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What If I Attach The Rgb (3 Phono) / Scart Lead I Found To My Ntl Box, It Says In The Settings You Can Output Rgb.
    Will That Work???

19. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Why not try and find out??? It needs to be scart-RGB wired for RGB not wired for composite stereo plus audio. And needs to be RGsB not RGBs or RGBHV. And the plasma needs to understand RGsB going into it's YUV port. Very, very unlikely it will work but if you have the cable, source and display all to hand might as well try and see!!

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    no cause ntl outputs RGBS not RGsB.......... is the cable you found Scart to RGB phonos or scart to Video and L+R audio (yellow,red,white) and is it scart i or out?

21. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its Scart To Rgb Phonos (not Stereo And Video) Doesnt Say If Its In Or Out But The Picture Has The Scart End To The Telly And Rgb's To Dvd, Thought It Might Be Bi Directional.

22. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Scart to RGB is bi-directional Horny. Scart to stero audio plus video isn't, scart to RGBs isn't. The core Red, Green and Blue are the same pins in either direction but audio and composite video (a.k.a. sync) aren't.

23. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that, but it would serve the purpose of allowing a single video feed to the panel and allow another Component player/recorder to be used. Most of our setups are connected to suit ourselves, but I guess it's down to personal preference I suppose.

Falcon: I've got to say I'm with Hornydragon on this one as you will be flogging a dead horse in trying to get an RGB SCART output to work with a Component RGB input unless you buy some kind of interface which may work out more expensive than it's worth. You may be better off sticking with the S-Video connection like Liam says as the picture quality should be acceptable, but at least you can check this if you have a suitable cable.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I know but scartr to RGB cables are rare (thought he may have had a composite L+R cable)
    And i cant think of anything that will take RGB with no sync component via the RGB pins very rare...... (netgem Iplayer, Loewe)

25. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found the lead in currys of all places and only £6.97, this is what it says on the box

JVC vx-j127, high performance component video cable, scart to 3 phono (rgb),
    for connecting high performance component rgb video to tv or video system.
    thats it no details / instructions. have i found a rare cable and might it work ????? it seemed cheap when i saw it seeing as the scart to av phono leads were a lot more. perhaps it's priced wrong.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    yeaah they are rare 6.97 is a clearance price so probably bought a load and no one bought them........ I might go look for some for my self at that price...

27. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    We've had a few people using the Vision screen, and I don't recommend RGBHV as the screens can't handle the correct line frequency. This limits what we can do with the inputs on the screen. I've never been a fan of sync on green, I'd rather keep the video channels as clean as possible. SCART's RGB is RGB and sync, so any lead isn't going to give RGB and the required H & V anyway, so that's out too.

This leaves Component (YUV / YPbPr) as the best input on the screen. Best output from your source is RGB. Therefore, to connect both the best from the source to the best input you need an RGB to Component converter. We've got a guide on our website that shows how to connect up from a digital TV source to the component inputs on such a screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

28. FALCON4

FALCON4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah
    tried the cable, didnt work never mind will get a rerfund.

cheers