Scart to HDMI Converter Advice

Burakiosaurus

Hi All,

New LG 55NANO756PR arriving this Friday and I need a Scart to HDMI Converter.

This is so my Mum can plug in her current old Technomate Satellite Box, until we upgrade to a newer HDMI supported one in a few months.

Seen a few on Amazon, like this one

Reason for this one, is so that I can plug a HDMI into the back of the TV and the installers can run that HDMI Cable through the trunking, which I can plug into the Scart converter box. So when we upgrade to the HD satellite box, the HDMI cable can just be unplugged from converter box.

Anyone had any experience with Scart to HDMI Converters? Nothing fancy needed, just something that will give an ok picture for the next 6-8 weeks.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
It's gonna be pretty dire PQ I think. CVBS = Composite analogue PAL video in, then an unknown quality conversion deinterlacer and up-converter to 720 or 1080.
But it might be OK enough?
Is this a PVR Technomate sat box or just a tuner? The TV does freesat and Freeview Play.

If it's a PVR then Mum is likely to want to keep the scart connected for a considerable time to watch the old recordings.

Run at least two hdmi leads between TV and the AV 'rack'! Ensure they're 4k capable for future proofing.

Burakiosaurus

It's gonna be pretty dire PQ I think. CVBS = Composite analogue PAL video in, then an unknown quality conversion deinterlacer and up-converter to 720 or 1080.
But it might be OK enough?
Is this a PVR Technomate sat box or just a tuner? The TV does freesat and Freeview Play.

If it's a PVR then Mum is likely to want to keep the scart connected for a considerable time to watch the old recordings.

Run at least two hdmi leads between TV and the AV 'rack'! Ensure they're 4k capable for future proofing.

The Technomate box is just a Tuner that picks up Turkish satellite TV. So no recordings at all, things are just watched live, or they are watched on YouTube and airplayed to an old Apple TV 2 box. Basic I know, but that's all she wants/needs.

Have gone down the route of Apps on Apple TV but 'there are too many buttons' to push and Apps to open 😂

So just something basic that's going to give ok picture until December.

Any recommendations for 4k capable HDMI cables?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Investigate what the LG can do, tuned in 'non-freesat mode' connected to the Turkish dish/LNB setup.

Especially if you are using Freeview Play for the main viewing?

You'll likely not need another box at all?

Cables: not my field of expertise... but been asked and answered many times... length may be an issue? Search the forum.

quinfeldt

Novice Member
I'm having the hardest time figuring out how many cables/adapter/converters I need to play my TurboDuo. I'm getting the RGB upgrade (round 8-pin female connector). I cannot find a RGB to HDMI cable to hook up to my TV. I contacted the people who are doing the upgrade about this and all they tell me is this;

"The port on the console is an 8 pin DIN connector. So you have the DIN connector plugged in to the console, and a SCART connector at the other end. From there you either get something that can bring SCART to your CRT, or plug the SCART into an upscaler if you are using it on an HDTV. "

I see an available cable online - 'SCART cable for RGB enabled PC Engine Duo,' but I don't have a SCART connection on the back of my TV. Amazon has a SCART to HDMI converter here - Amazon product
The reviews for the SCART to HDMI converter all describe some lag and stretching of the screen. Am I better off just using the original composite connection on my TurboDuo? It hasn't been worked on yet so I need some advice as to whether to skip the RGB upgrade and just go with the recapping.

Please share any experiences you have in this type of modification to a TurboDuo... Thanks!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
This is a UK-based forum.
We don't have that game console here.
Try avsforums.com

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom