1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scart to component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by osmyth, Apr 23, 2005.

1. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently use scart from dvd to tv and the tv auto switches to the correct AV mode.
    Would going from dvd via scart to a JS scart/component converter and then component to the tv lose this functionality, i.e. is it only a tv scart connection which auto switches into the correct AV mode?

thanks, Owen.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Your TV might be able to detect a signal on an input and auto switch to it, but it is a matter of checking to see. A scart connection uses pin 8 to do the auto switching that is not included with component.
    You say you are connecting the DVD via scart, so IMO there is no point in converting the RGBs via scart to YUV component as it can not increase the PQ, but may well cause a slight loss of PQ in the conversion. The only exception to this is if your TV does not handle RGBs well.

Mark.

3. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark, thanks.
    The reason I ask is because it would be a way round the problem I have in another thread below:

I have just got a Sky+ box to replace a normal Sky box.
    I have connected it in the same way as before but when I switch off the Sky+ box to go back to TV mode via auto switching the TV makes a loud beep until it has switched back to TV mode and then it stops. The beep only happens when the DVD Recorder to TV scart is connected.
    Anyone any ideas?

Sky+ > TV via Scart
    Sky+ > DVDR via Scart, DVDR > TV via Scart

2 of the scarts are Ixos 611 and one is the Sky+ cheapo one. Have tried it with the original Sky scart and by changing the order of the scarts but it does the same thing.

Do you think replacing the cheapo scart with another Ixos 611 may do the trick?

thanks, Owen.