Scart to Component.Will this cable work?

jim586music

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Further to the problem i posted on the 10/12 06 re: Video switching for Harmon Kardon Amp.
I've seen for sale, a scart to component lead for sale.
Would one of these work, from the scart on the Sky box, to the component in on the Amp?

It should do. What you will also have to do is plug in the composite sync into your amps Composite input, and output all 4 lines to your TV.

Then just make sure your TV will accept RGB & Sync. Most I've come across do, and it saves you a fortune on these bloody converters that are constantly banded about on here for a couple of hundred quid!

It should do. What you will also have to do is plug in the composite sync into your amps Composite input, and output all 4 lines to your TV.

Then just make sure your TV will accept RGB & Sync. Most I've come across do, and it saves you a fortune on these bloody converters that are constantly banded about on here for a couple of hundred quid!

Eh, composite sync?
Please explain.

Hi,
Further to the problem i posted on the 10/12 06 re: Video switching for Harmon Kardon Amp.
I've seen for sale, a scart to component lead for sale.
Would one of these work, from the scart on the Sky box, to the component in on the Amp?

I don't think this will work, as the Sky(+) box does not output component video via the SCART sockets, only RGB or composite, I think. The cable you have found is for devices that can output component video via SCART, such as Topfield PVRs etc.

If you want to connect a Sky box to component for switching convenience, then you need to have an additional external device that will convert an RGB signal to component video. This requires a bit of additional electrical jiggery pokery, not just tying knots in the cables :)

QED make such a device, and there are plenty of people here that use one made by JS... someone or other. Never used one myself TBH, but someone will be able to help point you in the right direction.

I think hificables.co.uk have the QED one. It's also worth saying that I don't think there will be any gains in picture quality, but it might be worth it if you're keen on using your amp's switching capabilities!

Cheers!

PS - I stand to be corrected on all of the above, but I think that's pretty much it.

Eh, composite sync?
Please explain.
The rubbish yellow video cable you get for games consoles free in the box. It contains a sync signal which your TV will need if you feed it separate R, G, and B signals from a Scart cable via the component input. Signal wise they are different to Component, the main reason being that the Sync is on the green cable with Component.

You can feed most modern TV's "RGB & Sync" by buying something like a QED Scart to Component cable, putting the R,G, and B cables into the component socket of the TV, and the Composite one into the Composite socket. Then change your TV's Component input from Component to RGB.

It costs nothing more than the price of the cable, assuming your TV will do it.

Most people simply choose ignorance as a Scart-Component converter at £200 is easier than reading a bit to find out more about doing it yourself. Don't be one of them!

I used this method with my Sky+ for 3 years with my old plasma, and am using it now on my new one till my Sky HD arrives tomorrow.

The rubbish yellow video cable you get for games consoles free in the box. It contains a sync signal which your TV will need if you feed it separate R, G, and B signals from a Scart cable via the component input. Signal wise they are different to Component, the main reason being that the Sync is on the green cable with Component.

You can feed most modern TV's "RGB & Sync" by buying something like a QED Scart to Component cable, putting the R,G, and B cables into the component socket of the TV, and the Composite one into the Composite socket. Then change your TV's Component input from Component to RGB.

It costs nothing more than the price of the cable, assuming your TV will do it.

Most people simply choose ignorance as a Scart-Component converter at £200 is easier than reading a bit to find out more about doing it yourself. Don't be one of them!

I used this method with my Sky+ for 3 years with my old plasma, and am using it now on my new one till my Sky HD arrives tomorrow.

the RGB Scart to Component convertors cost about £50-60 (the QED is priced higher usually but most places will drop it to a sensible price), not £200....

I would say it best if the OP finds out first if his TV model can handle the method you are suggesting.....if it can then fair enough, worth trying.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom