1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scart to component quality?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ace001, Oct 28, 2005.

1. ace001

ace001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, not totally clued up on this yet but just purchased sp4805 and while the funds are still limited haven't been able to upgrade the dvd player. therefore i've had to buy a scart to component cable as the dvd hasn't got component output. Just wondering how much this will sacrifice image qaulity compared to a normal component-component lead?

This is the cable:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4M-ATLONA-SCA...823519237QQcategoryZ15067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you go SCART to component I believe what you are in effect doing is carrying RGB over the 3 leads rather than "true" component (which carries the luminescnence info separately hence is a superior connection.) You'll also need to make sure the 4805 can accept an RGB signal via its component inputs - it may be a selectable setting (it is on my PJ).

A more modern player will also bring with it progressive scan which will usually improve matters further...PJ

3. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why do you consider that RGB is not 'true' component? Both RGB and YPbPr/YCbCr are component signals, in that the video is divided into three separate components - Red, Green & Blue in the case of RGB and Luminance and two Chromiance signals in the case of YPbPr/YCbCr. I would disagree that YPbPr is superior to RGB. The signal ends up as RGB anyway, since that's what the panels or colourwheel require.

You are right when you say that he will need to check whether the 4805 can accept an RGB scart component signal. Some projectors can, others can't.

Edit: Projector specs often say "10-bit colour processing". Does anyone know whether this is done in RGB or YCbCr colourspace?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Perhaps it's just me - I tend to think of SCART as RGB and Component as... the other one which I can never remember hence I call it "true" component. :D

As for one being better than the other I always read that component is better than SCART hence why I assume "true" component is better than "RGB" component.

...PJ

5. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Here's a very quick, simplified explanation:

Your DVD player decodes the DVD into YCbCr (digital component, luminance & 2 chromiance)
    DVD players can output:
    Composite - Analogue, the three signals mixed together - poor quality over Scart and/or 'video' connector
    S-Video - Analogue, Luminance and one chromiance (Pb & Pr mixed together) over Scart and/or s-video connector.
    RGB - Analogue, Red, Green and Blue (usually over Scart)
    YPbPr - Analogue Luminance & two chromiance - usually over 'component' connectors
    RGB - Digital Red, Green and Blue (usually over DVI)
    YCbCr - Digital Luminance & two chromiance (usually over HDMI)

In all cases, the video starts in digital YCbCr and ends up in digital RGB, so it makes sense to use a digital connection between dvd player and projector whenever possible.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks, a very useful and concise summary.

The HDMI/DVI signals are interesting. Are you saying that the signal is passed through unaltered for HDMI and converted to digital RGB in the display, whereas with DVI it's converted in the player and no further processing needed in the display?

...PJ

7. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just found an article stating that DVI carries 8 bit RGB, whilst HDMI can carry 8 bit RGB, or 8, 10 or 12 bit YCbCr.

In either case, the projector will process the colour information, according to its settings. What I'm not sure of is if the projector does this processing in YCbCr or RGB. I've noticed an assumption on these boards that it's RGB. (I'm not a projector expert, but I do work in digital broadcasting).

8. stallpot

stallpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Can anyone tell me if the picture on my sp4805 would be better coming from my Arcam DV89 (component) or from DVI from something like a Dennon 1920

I am still getting some outline shadows, so I am wondering if DVI would cure the problem.

9. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    DVI should be higher quality as there are no digital->analogue->digital conversion stages.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Theoretically yes, and in practice my Oppo via DVI just shades (perhaps wrong word - "beats" :D ) my Pio via component. However the Pio via component was much clearer than the Samsung 745 via DVI. So there's no guarantee....PJ