1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart to Component lead????

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by megatart, Dec 18, 2004.

1. megatart

megatart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all. Right i'm new here and i have a question regarding cabletv and dvd > amp > TV. I've got a Tosh W/S tv with RGB sockets. Ive also got a Cambridge Audio 540R reciever which had RGB switching. I wanted to connect my DVD player (Teac ref350-at the moment) through the amp using RGB to the TV. The thing is, the Teac DVD doesn't have seperate RGB sockets and neither does the cable box. They do have scart sockets though. So i was wondering if i can use a Scart to Component RGB lead to connect both the dvd and Cable box through to the Cambridge Reciever, and then from the Reciever to the TV using normal RGB component leads? Hence using just the dedicated RGB input on the Tv instead of 2 scart sockets. Alos what would be the advantage of going through the amp with the RGB signals first?
    Cheers Guys
    Trev

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you are getting confused with RGB and component. What most manufacturers call "component" are connectors that accept low-level luminance and colour-difference signals (Y,Pr,Pb). The RGB coming out of a scart connector are high level colour luminance signals. Conversion between RGB and component usually requires a convertor box, not a cable. You should re-check your specs, and confirm whether it's RGB or component video that you want.

3. megatart

megatart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi.
    Well the Amp and Tv both have the component inputs. 3 phono type sockets (Red, green and blue). And the amp/reciever will switch between them apparently. The reciever had DVD in Component, Video in Component and then Component out. The scart leads i've been looking at are Called Scart to Component leads, with a scart on one end and the Red green and blue phono plugs on the other. I was wondering if i could use these leads to break up the signal from the scart sockets on the DVD and cable boxes and then feed the other end of the leads (component style) through my reciever and off to the component input on my Tosh telly.
    Is this makin anymore sense??

4. agentdav0

agentdav0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think one of the Arcams/Denons/Pioneers allows you to a connect rgb scart and it does simple transcoding to 480i for you.

You have a scart to 4 rca (rgb, composite sync) that you connect to component in and composite video in. The receiver then does the transcoding like Keenes Aptus 1

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?APT1

I have one for my NTL stb. Works really well. Or there is always JS Techs stuff too. Maybe someone can tell us which receivers have one of these "built in"

:)

David.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    UK cable will output RGBS not YPbPr need a converter for cable reconmend JS boxes over keene..... and DVD should have component output (very rare ones can output YPbPr from scart so check manual first ) or get a new DVD with component out (available circa £100 these days or £200 for a really good one)

6. megatart

megatart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right cheers. So i need a converter box or a DVD with component out already built in then? I am after the Cabridge audio 540D dvd player to go with my reciever and cd player which does have component out as far as i know. Call me a tight ass, but i'm Just waiting for another Richer Sounds sale. Come on Julian!!