1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart to Barco

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Roland, Gordon or anyone else who has done this.

Ok, more in hope than expectation, I soldered a 15pin D (VGA) plug onto a scart lead. I then plugged the 15 pin end into Port 3 (which has a 15pin to 9pin cable input to Barco specs) and..... yep, it don't work but, I then plugged the Scart/15 pin cable into a 15pin to 5 BNC lead which goes into Port 5 and the damn thing worked (which, due to sync issues I didn't expect it to)! Note, I had to use a BNC "T" bar to combine the H&V syncs to get a display.

Great, but thats not where I want it, I want it in Port 3! In simple terms, why won't the cable work in Port 3? Port 3 is looking for RGB Analog input, right, but what I've created is an RGBs lead but I thought Port 3 would sync up with just about anything (works great with a PC). How would I get from where I'm at to where I need to be?

This is the wiring for the Scart/15 pin lead;

HD15 -------Scart---Name

1---------------15------Red
    2---------------11------Green
    3---------------7-------Blue
    6---------------13------Red ground
    7---------------9-------Green ground
    8---------------5-------Blue ground
    10--------------17------Sync ground
    13--------------20------Composite sync

I'm using it on a DVD player but had created this for a Sky box to feed directly to the Barco (not bothered about scaling). Not tried the Sky box as its hooked up elsewhere but figured that if the cable works on the DVD player, it should on the Sky box.
    Regards,
    Paul

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Paul,

I've not done this but as the 5BNC with HandV linked works try this.....

Composite sync is PIN14 I think on HD15.

Try that first then if no luck put a jumper from PIN13 (h) to PIN14(comp and v)

Let us know how you get on.

Gordon

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Gordon,
    Ok, I'm stumped at the first hurdle!

I thought pin 14 on the HD15 was the vert sync, and pin 13 was the comp sync. If pin 14 is the vert sync what pin on the scart should be connected to it? I can't see a vert sync on the scart, only comp, (maybe this is what you mean by jumpering HD15 pins 13 and 14 together from the scart comp sync?).

I'm useless at this sort of thing - seemed a good idea at the time
    :confused:

Still can't figure why it works on Port 5 but not 3 - port 5 is usually the trouble-maker.
    Paul

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Pin 13 is the Horizontal Sync....
    Pin 14 is the Vertical and Composite sync..

Make the lead the same way you have excpet do pin19 (composite out ) at scart to PIN14 ON HD15

If this doesn't work then keep the lead either as you originally did it or as it is in this new configuration and put a wee link wire from PIN14 to PIN13. This should emulate your 5BNC lead..

Gordon

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Ok, just tried the jumper (before your latest post) but that didn't work, I'll now try the scart pin 19 to HD 14 with jumper in and then without - back in 10 minutes!
    Paul

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Nup, neither works (but port 5 does). I'll try just Pin 14 and remove pin 13.
    Paul

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Paul,

Just re-read your original wiring. PIN20 of scart is composite video but it is composite video IN. PIN19 is composite video OUT. 17 is earth for either.

Easy way to remember is that all the ODD numbers on scart are for OUT
    Even numbers are for IN.

Gordon

8. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Major edit 21/7 - started afresh with new scart lead & HD15 connector

I've redone the diagram to show what works, but only on port 5 (using a "T" bar BNC to combine the H & V cables).

Scart --to--HD15

15------1---------------Red
    11------2---------------Green
    7-------3---------------Blue
    13------6---------------Red ground
    9-------7---------------Green ground
    5-------8---------------Blue ground
    17------10-------------Sync ground
    20------14 or 13-----Composite sync

Scart Pin 19, which should be the correct pin that should sync it all up via HD15 pins 14/13 but it ain't working out that way. Using pin 19 of the scart to pin 14 and/or 13 doesn't work on either port 3 or port 5. I'm baffled why port 3 won't lock on (I can get a picture occasionaly but its clearly out of sync). The only thing I think of is that my port 3 HD15-D9 cable isn't wired properly but then again it works perfectly with an HTPC input and with a "normal" laptop.

Clearly scart input direct to the crt does work, just not in the port I'd expected, its not vital but I'm sufficiently interested to see if I can get this to work.

Paul

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    [MOD EDIT : highlight info]

wireing for the 9pin D input of all barco 8** and 1*** series projectors is

1. Not used
    2. RGBS Ground
    3. RED
    4. GREEN
    5. BLUE
    6. RGBS Ground
    7. RGBS Ground
    8. Horiz / Coposite sync
    9. Vert sync
    The sync levels from Scart are really low an will often cause the PJ to blank. the extra circuits in the port 3 card may be enough to bring the voltage to a level where it cant lock.

There is a switch on the Port 3 card (the only short card in the PJ) at the opposite end to the heat sink is S1 it will force negative sync when on.

10. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Roland,

I tried the switch on the Port 3 card but to no avail :(

As you say, I think that really jut leaves the problem as being a lack of voltage - it would explain why Port 5 is happy whilst Port 3 isn't. I messed around yesterday for a good few hours trying various wiring configurations etc but just could not get it to sync up.

The simple answer is to swap inputs (DVD to Port 3 and Sky to Port 5) but the expense of new cables doesn't really justify the cost compared to the amount of time I spend actually watching Sky on the projector (couple hours a week if that).

On Port 5, I noticed a fair bit of difference in the display - Sky is normally input via Svideo, using the direct RGB input produced a cleaner display and slightly better colours (note, no scaling involved, just the raw picture).

I'm fairly happy to leave it at that, I'm sure there is a way round the voltage problem but i doubt my electronic and soldering skills would be up to the task!

Thanks to you and to Gordon for the useful input, it was quite worthwhile and it was fun to try things out (frustrating but fun).

I'll make way for folks who may have more serious problems!
    Paul

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    [MOD EDIT : highlight info]

This is just one more thing I would try.

Pull the Port 3 card from the Projector. Along the bottom row of that card, just along from the main connector are a row of resistors. these provide the 75ohm termination. I would leave the RGB ones in place but pulling the syncs might give it enough umph to work. If it doesn't you can just pop them back in.

R1 = red
    R21 = Green
    R41 = Blue
    R81 = H sync
    R101 = V sync

If you desolder the legs of the last two (R81 and R101) that might work.

Put a note somewhere in the PJ of what you have done incase you connect a PC or something then too much voltage may get through.

12. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Thanks Roland,
    You're only making matters worse you know! Having said I'd leave it, I've just finished making up a permanent good quality scart to HD15 cable 'cause I couldn't help myself - didn't want to waste all the new-found knowledge! Now you've given me more food for thought.

I'll give your sugestions a try later in the week or the weekend coming - its worth having a last crack at it!

I think I solved the Pin 19/20 query - Pin 19 and Pin 20 are crossed over in the scart lead so Pin 19 from the end of the scart in the Sky box terminates at Pin 20 in the projector end (and vice-versa), so soldering pin 19 in the projector end doesn't work, has to be pin 20 which is taking the output from pin 19 at the other end {does that read ok?}. At least I think thats whats going on.

Anyway, I'll report back in due course. I'm sufficiently pumped that I want to do this (not that it will actually really acheive anything but hey, its fun!
    Paul

13. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    No might about it - it worked! Well done Roland!! Now got Sky direct from scart via Port 3 - Yes!!!!!

One very happy chappy :) Thanks to both yourself and Gordon for your help on this.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.